Monday, March 4, 2013

Grandmother's Choice Blocks 21 - 27

I'm catching up with Barbrara Brackman's Grandmother's Choice: Women's Rights BOW. Barbara posts a new block every Saturday morning. I like to make a few at a time, making them in twos or threes. Here are the latest finishes...



Block 23  Girl's Joy



Block 22 Jack's Delight


Block 24  True Blue




Alternate Block 21 Checkered Allegiance.   

Barbara used a parasol block, but I substituted this one instead. It is Block 2 of Brackman's  2013 Civil War BOM.



Block 25.  Carrie Nation



Block 26.  Ladies Wreath


Block 27. Grandmother's Dream



The pattern for the Grandmother's Dream block included y-seams.  I've done these seams before, but they are not my favorite, so I decided to follow the lead of a few ladies that made their blocks in a way that would avoid those y-seams. Thanks for help and guidance from Flickr group members Terri(Honas52) and Ellen, who blogs at American Homestead. Both ladies had great ideas on how to make the block in a much easier way! 

The BOW is a 49 week QAL, so if you do the math, you'll see that we are over half way! The quilt is starting to have a life of its own. As usual, I'll wait 'till I'm finished to decide on the colours for the setting and sashing. I have been using fabrics from my stash, a little bit of everything, and adding fabric from Barbara's Metropolitan Fair fabric line that I purchased early in the new year. 

Thanks for coming by today.  It's always fun to share my progress with you! It's a great day for quilting!

23 comments:

  1. These are truly awesome, Lesley. Your fabric and color choices are my faves. This is going to transform into an amazing quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful! I really love how the orangey one pops! That's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are beautiful and will make a striking quilt when you are finished with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Real beauties Lesley... my favorite is True Blue. More than half done! It's going to be a stunning quilt when completed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are moving right along on these and they are looking wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blocks all look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous blocks Lesley - way to keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely blocks and I enjoy reading the names of them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful blocks,your work is always lovely Leslie.xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice blocks Lesley and I really love your fabric choices too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So fun to see your blocks! You are WAY ahead of me! Great idea for the design of block 27...I will try that one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your blocks look wonderful - crisp piecing and yummy fabrics! Thanks for the inspiration to work on catching up this week; I'm back at block 23.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow will you look at those perfectly pieced blocks? True Blue is really amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your little blocks are adorable. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look wonderful. The quilt is going to be beautiful when it is done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your blocks are great. Yes, I need to play catch up too. I like your idea about doing multiple blocks at a time. I'm going to do that. I also like what you did by avoiding the Y seams. I'm going to see if I can do that too. Keep it up, they are looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I kept saying I was going to do her CW blocks and didn't, then I said for sure I would do these and still haven't! I'll be happy for now looking at your wonderful blocks, Lesley!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. In love with your blocks!!! They are ME!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your fabrics. The blocks look wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your blocks look so perfect...can I be like you?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!