Saturday, March 23, 2013

Rainbows and Gardens. Is It Spring Yet?


If it's Saturday it must be Rainbow Scrap Challenge Day! I am linking up with Angela at So Scrappy. Hope you'll check it out and maybe join us?  

Each month a new colour is chosen by Angela and participants make a block (or many, many more) in the chosen colour. At the end of the year I will have twelve colourful blocks for a quilt. Every Saturday of the month, Angela offers us the opportunity to meet up at So Scrappy to share our progress. This month the colour is orange, so in I went to my scrappy stash and this is the result...four little blocks....



sewn together to produce one 12.5" block.





I made some orange units that I will combine with the other colours to use for a very scrappy piano key border. Always fun to chain piece...

cut apart...

and press and tidy up!

I took a pic of the January and February blocks on top of the snow, but only after I had put the blocks away did I see the poor colour. Please use your imagination and think of a brightly coloured rainbow!


Continuing the theme of Spring, flowers, and lots of colours, I want to share with you my "Garden Steps" quilt I finished this past week. I made this quilt as part of a free Stitch and Quiltalong offered by Jenny and Clara at Clover and Violet.  It was such a fun quilt to make! The blocks came together very quickly once all the stitcheries were finished. I decided to set my blocks in the same direction rather than turn every second block. 

I loved the combination of bright colours that Jenny and Clara chose for their sample quilt so I chose similar colours, using the Chelsey fabric line from Wyndham fabrics with shades of teals, fuschias, and chocolate browns. How yummy! 


The little stitcheries that the mother-daughter team designed for the centres of the  blocks were a joy to make and I'm so glad I took the time to do them. I would anxiously await for the reveal of each of the twelve stitchery patterns and would head to my quilting chair with embroidery thread in hand.  Thanks to Chrissy and Linda at Sew Lux Fabrics, I was able to purchase the variety pack of colours of perle cotton that matched my quilt perfectly. The free instructions and patterns for the embroidered blocks are still available at Clover and Violet HERE. The Flickr page to see everyone's creations is HERE. I chose to set the blocks in the same direction rather than turn the alternate blocks.

The quilt was machine quilted by Angie from Quilting on the Mira, an "almost" local quilt shop in Sydney, about an hour and a half away from here. I love what she did with the quilting; nothing too dense, just nice and soft to keep the integrity of the embroidered blocks. A few more pics....enjoy the show!








And that's the end of the story.

It's a great day for quilting! In fact, this weekend I am having my own mini-marathon in my sewing corner to work on my Country Charmer blocks. The end of the month is fast approaching so I hope you'll come back on April 1 to share your progress and link up with everyone else who is making the Country Charmer quilt. Designer Lynn at Sew'n Wild Oaks has so many tips and techniques for us. Check them out right HERE and join the fun! 


23 comments:

  1. Love the rainbow blocks. I so need to work on a rainbow project of my own, but unfortunately there is no time for that at the moment. The stitchery quilt is beautiful. I like all the details in the center squares. Congrats on a beautiful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those scrap blocks!!! That will make an incredible quilt.

    Your finished quilt is also beautiful. The stitcheries really add to the design. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your rainbow blocks. This will make a great rainbow quilt.
    Beautiful finish. Lovely embroidery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been so busy Lesley! I love everything I'm seeing. Your rainbow quilt is going to be gorgeous and I'm looking forward to seeing the end result. Isn't it a great feeling when the last stitch on the binding is taken. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I so hope I get to work on my orange blocks today! My daughter and granddaughter are visiting with us so time is at a premium. I haven't been able to touch a machine since retreat last week :( Your orange blocks are so nice!!! I can certainly see why you love your new finish! Those colors really are wonderful together, and to have those special little stitcheries in there - great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A rainbow quilt AND a cute embroidery center quilt? You are a busy lady! I've become addicted to embroidering, so I need to find time to make a beautiful quilt like yours. I need to retire!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely blocks, lovely stitcheries and a lovely quilt. I enjoyed seeing the snow too, don't see it here in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love orange--those little rainbow blocks all look so pretty together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like those rainbow blocks--great idea. AND that piano border is so pretty Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your rainbow blocks are a sure sign that spring is on its way... just love them! Garden Steps in gorgeous... great fabrics with the lovely center embroideries!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all the rainbow blocks you've shown us, but these orange ones are just gorgeous.

    I was planning a CC session today too, but it hasn't happened. I hope yours does!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your embroidered quilt is super. The Rainbow Blocks look like fun, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both quilts are beautiful. You are so busy you put me to shame.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great looking blocks you have done. Beautiful quilt I like some of the fabrics used.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm liking your orange blocks and piano keys. Impressed with all the embroidery in the Garden Steps. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great blocks Lesley! This is going to look great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lots of bright, wonderful colors in this post, Lesley...enough to remind us that Spring really is here underneath all the white stuff. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loving your orange blocks and your finish! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  19. One is a beauty of a quilt and the other shows much promise to being a beauty of a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those orange blocks look like marmalade jelly to me. Wonderful!I'm sooooooooooo ready for Spring!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the little stitcheries. They are very cute and look lovely in a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So wonderful to see these stitcheries in a finished quilt! I stitched some of them and then put them away...must go in search of them.
    Love the rainbow blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your rainbow blocks Lesley! Your embroidery quilt is beautiful. I love the colors you used.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!