Thursday, March 28, 2013

Tabitha's Trinkets and Darlene's Mystery Quilt

I have really been enjoying Tara Darr's book, "Simply Charming, Small Scrap Quilts From Yesteryear". If you recall, there is a little quiltalong taking place, where quilters share the quilts they have made from this book every second month. It's a great little quiltalong arranged by Kathy at Kindred Quilts and Darlene at Quilting Daze and relatively stress free because of the two month time frame. You can read more about it and see my first quilt HERE.  

My second quilt was an easy choice, "Tabitha's Trinkets". 


I was very fortunate to win some mini-charm packs from Kathy Schmitz from her beautiful new line just coming out called "Round Robin". Love these colours and I thought they would be the perfect choice for "Tabitha's Trinkets".


I found a few fabrics in my stash for the 3 B's...borders, backing, and binding.  Once the top was made, I settled into my quilting chair...


When I was finished, I attached my little tag...


and a sleeve...


and took lots of pics!




The quilt is about 18" x 21", the perfect size for a doll quilt...


or a table topper...


or to hang on the wall. One small quilt with so many options!


I've also been working on Part 3 of Darlene's Mystery Quilt, the third border that was to include 4 star blocks and an appliqued feather border.  I decided this would be the perfect place to incorporate a border I had seen in one of Kim Diehl's books, "Simple Charm".  I made a few adjustments, sewed together a few more star blocks, and managed to attach 2 borders in time for today's post. The rosebuds will be further embellished down the road with little yo-yos at the tips of the rose. But for now, this is what the quilt looks like...


What else am I working on? My Country Charmer blocks, of course. The Flickr page is amazing with tons of inspiration HERE. Come back on April 1 to see my progress on the Country Charmer quilt and to link up with quilt designer Lynn of Sew"n Wild Oaks and the quilters from around the globe who are participating in this "work at your own speed" Country Charmer QAL. I'll have the link ready on April 1 and will leave it up for a week because I know a lot of you will be busy in the coming days with Easter celebrations and family visits. 

Enjoy your Easter weekend!


 It's a great day for quilting!

21 comments:

  1. love your new little quilt and the one from Kim's book I LOVE that quilt.
    I actually took her books off the shelf the other day and have been looking thru them for some inspiration!
    thanks for sharing your projects allways fun to see what your up to!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very sweet little quilt. The fabrics are perfect for this design. Lovely photos and look at that snow! I think Spring is still hiding from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty little quilt! And I love the border you chose for the mystery! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute little quilt - love it as a doll quilt :*) And your snowball quilt looks marvelous with that border!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's really pretty. How nice that you won those lovely fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking good Lesley, I love the quilt you're doing in the quilt along with Darlene, I have signed up but not started yet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always accomplish so much, you must sew in your sleep!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the little quilt , a real fun project and your mystery quilt looks fantastic , mine is still in the waiting stage;-) Enjoy your Easter .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tabitha's Trinkets is a perfect match with your bowl! My goodness you get a lot accomplished Lesley. I know when I stop by your blog that it's going to be full of eye candy. Happy Easter to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely quilt! Where can I order some of the awesome tags (I hate making labels).
    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your new little quilt - wonderful choice of fabrics and the handquilting is a perfect fit with this. I wimped on Darlene's next borders - went with a plain to be quilted with a basket weave pattern I think. I just thought the the applique was a little too heavy and I wanted to open up the quilt. Your lighter applique is a great look.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I lovely choice for your mini charm squares. Small quilts do have a variety of options for showcasing them. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a wonderful little quilt. I also like the mystery from Darlene's.
    Its on my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. lovely lovely lovely.. I love them both Lesley. The colours you used for Tabitha really make it glow - and it just looks great in the snow photos. And Darlene's mystery is looking SO GOOD! (Cute Easter photo!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a adorable little quilt ! Love it ! Your Kim Diehl quilt is just wonderful !

    HAPPY EASTER !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome finish! Love your little quilt. I really like how you changed up the applique border for the mystery quilt. Very nice! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your Tabitha's Treasures quilt is beautiful! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your quilting is so pretty on your Tabitha quilt. What-e an adorable quilt you made. And your mystery quilt is also looking lovely. I look forward to your blogs every time. You are a favorite (you already know that). Enjoy your week-end.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your Tabitha turned out really great. Those fabric were the perfect choice.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Leslie, I'm so behind in blog reading! I love Tabitha's Treasures! The fabrics are perfect for spring, and I can't believe how it's a perfect match if you want to display it with your bowl! I like the border you have used for the mystery quilt... after much consideration, I decided to omit the applique border on my mystery quilt... I may regret it! I will have lots of calculating to do with step 4, and future steps, but I welcome the challenge to make it my own!
    Happy Sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just beautiful Simply Charming quilt. The fabric just "works" so perfectly!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!