Saturday, April 13, 2013

Blocks and Treasures

After a week of rest, my sewing machine needed a little run to get the cob webs out. Making the April blocks for the Blogger Girls BOM was the perfect little project. Monique at Open Gate Blog designs one block pattern per month and makes two blocks with it. It's amazing how using different fabrics and colours with the same pattern can produce such different blocks. She has a group of friends that are also participating and display their blocks at the first of each month.You can find out more by clicking HERE. Here are my April blocks...



Since I returned from Calgary on Monday, I've spent a lot of time in my sewing corner reorganizing. I labelled all my totes holding fat quarters and eighths and essentially repacked them all. Why?  Because I needed room to put away my new purchases that I found in Calgary at a couple of quilt shops I visited.

I fell in love with a shop called "Traditional Pastimes". I walked in and was immediately in love and at home amidst the hardwood floors and fabulous displays of fabrics, samples and kits. The owner heard me "oohing and aahing" and immediately joined me. Her enthusiasm and passion for everything quilying related is contagious and reflected by her incredible shop. I only wish I lived closer to fill my sewing corner with more of their treasures and to participate in their classes. It is truly one of the best shops I've found!  I didn't have my camera with me but they have a wonderful "virtual tour" that you can visit by clicking HERE

I picked up just a few "must haves", but will definitely revisit when I'm back in August.Throughout the store were bins of bundles of fat eighths, in just about every colour and style of fabric you can imagine...


I picked up four bundles and when I got home, I opened them up and did more oohing and ahhing. They will be so perfect for the scrappy small quilts I tend to make...





I also picked up some yardage of Primitive Gatherings and Basic Black by The Buggy Barn...


and I couldn't resist picking up a complete BOM pattern by Lynette Anderson, complete with her very own hand-painted buttons.  Here are two of the nine packets that came home with me...



Here is a picture I borrowed from Lynette's site of the completed 28" x 28" quilt...

I love the combination of stitcheries and piecing, so this is a perfect project for me, especially getting to embellish the little quilt afterwards with the cute buttons! Thank you, Traditional Pastimes, for a wonderful experience!

The other shop I visited was "My Sewing Room." It is a huge store and calls itself "Canada's largest independently owned quilt store". Of course I found a few treats, but stayed with some "essential" precuts for ease in packing.


So there you see it...a good reason to tidy up. In addition to the reorganizing and block making, I worked on the wedding quilt (I'll show you in August), and spent hours cutting my leftover fabrics into strips of 1", 1.5", 2", and 2.5". Some day when I don't want to think, I'll grab a bundle of my precuts and make a quilt. For the rest of the weekend, I think I'll work on Darlene's Mystery quilt. Darlene recently posted Step 4, but I still have to finish Step 3!

It's a great day for sewing!




21 comments:

  1. You added some really perfect stash fabrics there! An excellent reason for reorganization :*) The stitchery by Lynette Anderson is adorable!!! I'll enjoy watching you bring each block to life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blocks look so nice in the different colours. You got some nice new material, I was aaahing too.
    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do believe you found the shop I discovered on my last visit to Calgary and I agree, it's wonderful. It is one of my favourite past times on vacation or when visiting other places is to find the local shop that everyone loves. Your blocks for the Blogger Girls BOM are so perfect especially with the touch of red.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You found one of my favourite shops, Traditional Pastimes! There is another one down in High River called Chinook Fabric's, Lucy is the owner, also one in Okotok's , Rumpled Quiltskins - Linda, and down in Coleman near Crowsnest Pass there is another store that is jam packed with goodies. Just think in August maybe I could take you to them!
    Glad you had a good time, I am stitching Fernhill as well, Love your goodies, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo, lots of goodies! Your squares are looking good (of course) and those little Christmas patterns make me want to run buy one...or two--very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely blocks and what treasures you brought home. I wish they sold F8's bundles around here - great stash builders.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like you have some wonderful finds and a good reason to make some room!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooooh....love your Blogger Girls blocks. Sad to say, I've only completed one. Lots of family in and out for the last 6 weeks. Maybe I'll get back to sewing soon. I just bought some of Lynette's fabrics. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all your goodies Lesley,enjoy 'playing' with them.x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your blocks Leslie...so pretty!!!! What yummy goodies you came home with...look forward to seeing what you create with them :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely blocks Lesley and it sure seems you had a great time in the quilt shops :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely fabric bundles, stitcheries and the blocks are coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love all your new purchases. The Lynette BOM looks like such fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely blocks and I am so jealous of your visits to such fabulous shops..?loved my virtual visit to Tradional Pastimes. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Will you come sort and label over here?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the link to Traditional Pastimes... I took the virtual tour, and now I want to go to Calgary! Isn't it fun to unroll those fabric bundles? You selected some beauties! Love your blocks... and yes, it is amazing how the same block can look so different depending on fabric selection!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such fabulous purchases! I would buy a ton of those stash building fat eighth bundles!
    Love the new stitchery patterns too! WITH buttons...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks to me like you had a wonderful time exploring these stores. Gorgeous selection of fabrics. And I am delighted to see you are going to do the Fernhill BOM, too. I am up to block 4 and loving it. It's a perfect one to pack up and take anywhere with you.
    Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The blocks and fabrics are all wonderful. I really enjoy seeing your recent stitchery projects too.

    For some reason I lost you as a blog I follow so I just signed up again. I thought you had been quiet for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so glad you enjoyed traditional pastimes and I was glad I was there to get excited about all the fun stuff there is to do . My customers are what making owning the shop a wonderful experience
    Can wait to see what you do with your bundles.... Bernadette

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great to be able to find shops that suit you so well when you're on holidays! Lynette Anderson is an Australian designer, and lots of designers over here have taken the stitchery quilt path. Apparently it's not so common in the states. Over here it's like everything that is newly released is a pattern that combines stitchery and patchwork. No complaints from me, I really enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!