Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Darlene's Mystery Part 3

It is so wonderful to be participating in Darlene's Mystery Quiltalong hosted by Darlene at Quilts by Darlene. She started us off in January with a snowball centre and we have been building the quilt a little larger each month.

She has already posted Mystery Quilt Part 4 HERE, but I'm a little behind because I wanted to take my time with Part 3. Darlene chose to combine star blocks with an appliqued feather border for the third installment with stunning results. However, since Darlene has always encouraged us to be creative, I decided to do just that and tried my hand at an adaptation of an appliqued border I found in Kim Diehl's "Simple Charm" book. In the book, there is a pattern called "Fresh Cut Flowers" with sprays of rosebuds interspersed with shoo fly blocks. I figured I could use the same idea with Darlene's star blocks! I showed you my first two borders HERE and this morning I finished the final two borders. What appears as white background fabric in the picture is actually a scrappy assortment of beige, tan, and cream printed fabric including small prints, plaids, and even some stripes. Next time I'll take pics on a dull day! 


Because we finally had a sunny day without white stuff falling from the sky, it was a great opportunity to go outside and take a few more pics.



I just had to see how it would hang on our privacy wall with the wind whistling through the boards...



I really, really like this quilt so far and plan to continue following the steps that will result in a queen sized quilt. Darlene tells us that we can stop anytime. Right now the quilt is a perfect size for a cuddle quilt, but I want to grow it larger so on to part 4! Why not join us? For more info,visit Darlene HERE or visit Darlene's Flickr page HERE to see our progress. 

It's a great day for quilting!

23 comments:

  1. Oh Sweetie , it is just lovely!! Nice job!! Hugs-S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lesley, this quilt is looking quite fab so far! You're doing such a beautiful job with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great, are you going to do a give away with it? If so I am the winner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good, Lesley...real good. Awesome, in fact!

    Isn't it fun? I'm looking forward to the next step.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its gorgeous,and if you feel the need to give it away....ignore Sue ,it would have a great home here in England....lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautiful! It's fun watching this grow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a wonderful quilt! Great inspiration from Kim Diehl's book--how fun to add your own special touch. Very, very tempting to start one of these. I'm definitely going to remember where to find Darlene's directions. This is really a great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your step 3, it looks great! The added star blocks are very interesting, I'll have to remember that for another time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's beautiful Lesley! I can see why you are enjoying making it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt is so, so, pretty Lesley. On the sunny day it looks like a picture in a frame. You are an artist! I have 6 blocks on row 3but I need to make a few more, I have an idea in my head now for what I want. Thank you for your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love love love it! How exciting to see this quilt come together! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks fabulous. How fun it is to be able to keep adding it until you get it to the size you want. I love seeing it with the sun shining through it.

    Your posts are still not coming up in my reader. I don't know what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful!!!! its always fun working on something you love Can't wait to see the next step
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks great. I like your 3rd border alot. I like these quilts that are built from the center out. You can stop whenever you want to and call it finished...I can't wait to see what the next step is!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This quilt is growing very nicely. You are so good at keeping up with all these projects. Glad to see you could go outside for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks wonderful Lesley , nice idea to change it up a bit.I am still working on this round ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would keep going too! the fabrics your using against the white is just making the quilt so bright and happy!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's really stunning, Lesley! I'd sleep under it any night!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beauty, love those outdoor shots! I can hardly wait to see the next row!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!