Monday, April 22, 2013

Simply Charming Small Quilts

I think that small quilts are like potato chips...I just can't stop at one! I bought Tara Darr's book, "Simply Charming", awhile back. Tara can be found at Sew Unique Creations, a website filled with lots of inspiration (and a sale on patterns until the end of the month!) When the book arrived, as I flipped through the pages, I knew I would be making a lot of Tara's little quilts.  

So of course I decided to join the "Simply Charming Every Other Month Sewalong" with Kathy at Kindred Quilts and Darlene at Quilting Daze . These gals also loved the book and knew they would be making lots of the little quilts. I excitedly linked up with them for the first two link-ups, but I just couldn't slow down. My friends and family will tell you I have one speed in my sewing room...fast! So I now have two more quilts to show you. I guess if you count these two, then I have my "Simply Charming" quilts done for the sewalong until the end of September!

Quilt # 3 is called "Grannie's Scrap Box". This was really fun to make and finished at approximately 18" x 21". As a speed demon, I didn't want to make a mistake when sewing the patches together, so I made a chart for each row of the quilt with "L" for light and "D" for dark.For example, my chart showed Row 2 as 1L, 10 D, 1L...and off I went. I literally raided "Lesley's" scrap box and came up with this ...


I guess you can see that I hand quilted it...



I found an interesting fabric in my stash for the back and added my Cuddle Quilter tag...


and then tried the quilt on the doll bed, which is currently in hubby's workroom being stained.


Quilt # 4 is called "Bits 'n Pieces", another little scrappy quilt using 4-patches. I used information from Quiltville's Bonnie Hunter's book "Adventures With Leaders and Enders" to make the 4-patches while sewing other projects and after a few sessions at the sewing machine, had enough 4-patches to put the quilt together. 


You can see that I machine quilted this one in my favorite crosshatch design...



The quilt finishes at about 21" x 23". I added a sleeve so now it is a perfect size to be used as a doll quilt, a table topper, or a wall hanging. I think it is a quilt for many reasons...


I have already cut the pieces for my next "Simply Charming" quilt which is called "Hopscotch". I will again use Bonnie's "Leaders and Enders" techniques for this quilt. I have lots of other projects on the go so will have lots of sewing sessions coming up.

Thanks so much for visiting today.With a sunny day ahead of me, it's a great day for quilting!


24 comments:

  1. Very sweet little quilts - the hand quilting really lends to the period piece. I like how you put the little sleeve on for multi-use of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your little quilts! I just started the Simply Charming sew along, and have quilt number 1 (Nellie's Nine Patch) in the hoop. I have to catch up, cause I am a quilt behind! ;) I think I will do Grannie's Scrap Box next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are so cute!! I love the idea of using leaders and enders for a quick quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely litle quilts, you should open a store on Etsy! I am sure you would have GREAT success!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are not adorable Lesley , you have been busy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These quilts are so sweet... perfect hand quilting and certainly Charming in every way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your quilt, Lesley! I did this same pattern for the simply Charming QAL! It's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. adorable quilts its a great day for quilting here because it is snowing AGAIN. Will spring ever come!??! Ann

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two very sweet minis, Lesley. I did that first one, too, but reversed the value placement of the fabrics.
    That must be a good feeling to be ahead of the game. : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. love your quilts. so charming. they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What great little quilts. Love the colors and I admire you for making them in such a short time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know how you get all these done. When you say fast, I believe it. I love both small quilts, and compliments to your hubby on that adorable little bed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love these cute little quilts. Just finished Hopscotch and am thinking about making Bits 'n Pieces next. This book is a great way to use up all those Civil War scraps. Keep making them, Lesley, I love seeing your use of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely,I do love your little quilts Lesley,x

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are adorable Lesley! I am going to order two 2.5 charm packs and make a small quilt. Your little quilts inspire me. You do wonderful sewing and quilting Lesley! I know it comes from lots of sewing experience. I look forward to your posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Lesley these are so adorable!! I like making little quilts but....not this "little"! Teeny tiny blocks! Your hand quilting is beautiful as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're such an over achiever! Good for you. Love all the little quilts, Lesley. I have that book but just haven't jumped in yet. For now, I'll just have to be satisfied with soaking in all the fun and charm of your little quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your quilts are adorable. I'm just finishing quilting my April one and hope to have it done in a couple of days. These really are fun, easy and quick to do. Nola

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely little quilts. Your sure are speedy! And the little bed does look adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your little quilts, Lesley, are real charmers! No pun intended. You are a talented hand quilter!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just lovely. Smaller projects surely makes for quicker finishes. I don't seem to be able to finish the big ones that are on deadlines so that I can make som smaller ones. Eventually I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is indeed a lovely shop! It would be very dangerous for me to go there, so it's a good thing it is too far away. I did shop on Saturday and got 2 large pieces for backings, but I dare not buy much more fabric until I finish my UFOs! Have fun with your projects!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!