Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Week Was Wonderful

What a great week I had out West!  Since this is a quilt blog, I will stick to the topic of quilts and I won't tell you that I had a fabulous visit with DD and future SIL, and I won't tell you that we found my Mother of the Bride dress and shoes for the upcoming summer wedding, and I won't tell you about the fabulous meals we had, both at home and in the restaurants, and I won't tell you about the glorious morning coffee times with DD, the coffee just a smidgen flavored with some Baileys, and I won't tell you about the joy of being curled up together on the couch watching wedding shows.

Instead, I will tell you about the projects I took to work on while I was waiting in numerous airports and on one too many tarmacs. The perfect travelling companion is embroidery, so I prepped my blocks and off I flew.



By the time I returned, I had six of the twelve blocks finished.



The finished blocks, which will be cut down to 5.5" square, will be the centres of log cabin blocks in the quilted wallhanging called "A Cottage Year" designed by Kathy Schmitz. I plan to make scrappy log cabin blocks using a variety of reds, creams, and blacks from my stash. I purchased a few extra fabrics while out west so I'll be all set to start sewing the blocks together when the stitcheries are finished. 



The packet includes twelve embroidery patterns of storybook cottages with a 5" x 7" cottage painting on the other side of the card that could be framed afterwards.




The patterns are on the other side of these cards. I copied them onto paper and traced each one onto my cream print fabric using my light box made by Woodworker Hubby. Then I ironed a piece of Pellon light weight fusible interfacing on the back to use as a stabilizer. I'm using Black DMC Perle Cotton # 8 for the stitching.



These cottages are so much fun to make! Each cottage has something a little special about it...the snowman for January, the decorative heart for February, the shamrock weather vane for March, and so on. Kathy Schmitz, I love your designs!

In addition to building some cottages this week, I also built some hexies. If you recall, last summer I travelled to Alaska on a quilting cruise with instructors Lynn Hagmeier of Kansas Troubles Quilts, and Pam Buda of Heartspun Quilts.  Every class day, the teachers spoiled us with gifts and treasures. One day, Pam presented us with her "Lucy's Prairie Pocket" kit, complete with fabrics from her Heart of the Prairie line, some muslin, and pre-cut paper hexagons. Again, a perfect travelling companion! When I unpacked my suitcases today, I had a peek and I see that I only have a few hexies still to make. Once the rest are done, I'll be ready to sew the hexies together. Thanks, Pam! 




highlight of my week was that I was able to meet up with Sue who blogs at Chickadee's Country Cottage Crafts. She was able to rearrange her schedule so that we could meet in person at one of the malls in Calgary to have a sit and a chat. She is a sweetie and it was so wonderful to exchange our stories and share our quilting passions over an Orange Julius! Thank you, Sue, it was wonderful to meet you! 

Sue is the gal who generously gifted me with the Santa Quartet table runner designed by Birdbrain Designs last summer because she knew I loved Santas. You can read about it HERE. This is how far along I am now...I have a trio of Santas done, so only one more Santa to stitch and a toybag! 



Another highlight of the week was that my DD took me to a couple of quilt shops in Calgary. Of course I did my best to drop a little cash in each one. I'll show you some of my purchases next time, but right now I am a little jet lagged and I'm not quite sure if I am on Calgary time or Nova Scotia time...all I know for sure is that it is bedtime!

Tomorrow will be a great day for quilting!

19 comments:

  1. Glad you got home safe and sound and the weather over here wasn't
    too uncomfortable for you! the weather here in Alberta is really unpredictable any time of the year. So nice to meet you in person, your santas are coming along great, Ireally should catch up on mine now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The embroideries are lovely and it is great that we can actually sew on flights again. You've been so busy although you were away. Glad you had a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your week away sounds wonderful and I'm happy to hear that you made it back home safe and sound and that you managed to leave some of your heard earned retirement dollars in a couple of western quilt shops. *wink* Can't wait to see your purchases! I know we all hate layovers and waiting in airports and out on the tarmack but look at how much you accomplished! Great job, my friend.

    Rest up...yeah, right...and allow you mind and body to adjust back to Atlantic Time. I'm sure that you machine and hubby missed you...or should that be you hubby and machine. Better get the order straight, huh?

    So happy you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back. It sounds like you had a great time. Considering you were away, you got so much stitching done - and shopping, and eating, and hanging out, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your stitching is so wonderful.
    Grit from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  6. I won't tell you I am so happy you had such a wonderful time. I won't tell you how much I enjoy your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the cottage stitching.
    Glad you had a good time choosing your outfit.Very exciting having a wedding coming up.xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome home with all happy memories and show and share for us to spy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your trip sounded wonderful and I enjoyed seeing all your "hand work". Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!! sounds like a great rip!!! I would have loved to have met up with both you and Sue..that would have been fun!!! Your embroidery is making me want to pull my snowman thingy out and work on it again.Thanks for the inspiration:):) hugs- Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness! It sounds like you had the most lovely trip ever!!! But I think maybe you left out the best parts of the story ;*) Your log cabin quilt is going to be beautiful - what sweet stitcheries!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoyed your stitchery and glad you had a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome home! Spring didn't start while you were away! So glad you had an awesome time. Your projects are just amazing. Love your Santa Quartet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a coincidence. I just visited Kathy Schmitz' site via the Little Quilts blog and you are right, her designs are super. I like her fabric, too. You are making a lovely design.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Life is wonderful and it will be even better when little ones come along. I am happy you had a great visit. Can Your sewing is so nice. It is an amazing talent you have! I have been busy watching the grandkids and I bought 10 baby chicks! Had to put my new sewing machine in for a problem so no sewing, and actually it is ok. Needed a break.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, I'm just so glad you didn't tell us anything! Ha, ha...so glad you had a great time with your DD and future SIL. So exciting to have a wedding coming up! I'm glad you got to spend quality time with her and dreaming about weddings. You got alot done while you were away.Your stitchies look so cute and love the hexies. I saw on Facebook, the Novia Scotia quilt show and I just knew you were there! I'm glad you got to spend some money in the shops too. Sounds like you had a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like you had a fantastic time Lesley! How exciting. Love your house stitcheries and your snowmen are also looking good. I also look forward to seeing your hexies come to life! (Hope you are settling back into normal life again ok!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks to me like you had a wonderful time. You certainly managed to fit a lot into your time. And you have some stitching to show for it, too! Wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love hearing all about the upcoming wedding plans. The stitchery is great too. Congrats for getting so much accomplished.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!