Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Betsy's Closet is a Finish

Can you believe it? My Betsy's Closet quilt is finally a finish..



This little quilt, approximately 24" x 28", has been a joy to make.  When I first saw the pattern, designed by Brenda Riddle of Acorn Quilt and Gift Company, I knew I wanted to make it. The little outfits were just so precious...I swear I had one of these dresses in my closet when I was little.


And if the dress wasn't in my closet, then I'm sure some of these were in the closets of my three sisters...


The nine blocks were so enjoyable to embroider...each one unique fun to do, with lots of opportunity to be creative. Brenda supplied us with wonderful instructions, but I must admit, I often took the easier route with the stitches. 

I just love these overalls...


I hand quilted the Betsy's Closet in a checkerboard pattern...it just seemed to work for me. I outline stiched the outfits and used a Hera marker for the first time to make the lines. It worked perfectly and there were no lines that I had to worry about removing.



I wanted to go bright with the backing so grabbed this turquois blue fabric and even machine stitched the binding in place, remembering to add my little tag.



I'm not sure if this quilt will be used as a blanket or put on a wall, so I attached a sleeve in the same fabric so the quilt will be multi-purpose. 

Of course I had to try it out in the doll cradle. Woodworker Hubby applied the final coat to the cradle just last week.



So that's it...my finish for this week. I am also posting news of my finish at Stitching Betsy's Closet. Jenny, who blogs at Jenny of Elephantz and Kathy who blogs at Shawkl Design Studio Blog, created this Betsy's Closet Quiltalong blog for everyone who wants to show their progress making the quilt. While I was doing my stitcheries, I would often visit the blog and see how others made the same block. Hope you will also check it out and make sure you scroll through the previous posts there to see a gorgeous array of Betsy's Closet creations.

Thanks for coming by today. If you remember, I was pretty busy on the weekend immersed in two workshops hosted by the Mira Stitchin' Post.  It was a fabulous time and I have lots to show you, but that's for another day.

It's a great day for quilting!




33 comments:

  1. It's so adorable and the hand quilt really works great. Wonderful little quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have really done a wonderful job! It's so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just too cute and I love how you hand quilted it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that quilt...so adorable! Your stitching is perfect, of course. I love your little tags, too. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet quilt and your hubby's cradle is a gorgeous compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable, Lesley! And DH made a gorgeous cradle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a delightfully sweet little quilt, Lesley! Your hand embroidery and hand quilting are, as always, beautifully done! A treasure to be sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. super cute quilt!!!! Love the little tags...where did you get them?? Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so cute, I love it.

    I'm looking forward to hearing about the workshops now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just the cutest! Your quilting is the perfect choice. Looks so sweet in the cradle. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That turned out really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely,I love the colours you chose.I also enjoyed making this quilt.xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn't it lovely! Beautiful work with the embroidering and quilting.
    The designs are sweet and I do like the fabrics you chose, too.
    Tell hubby the cradle is looking wonderful. Such a precious piece!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, this embroidery is on my to-do list. Thanks for showing your finish! It is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so adorable... both the stitching and the patchwork!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's definitely adorable. I love it. Mine sits as a flimsy; hopefully you've inspired me to quilt mine soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Betsy's Closet is precious Lesley! Just the perfect amount and style of quilting too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's a wonderful quilt. I definitely recognize some of the outfits from my childhood. The hand quilting really complements the stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Lesley your quilt is adorable! What wonderful handwork you do. It is charming for sure. And your previous quilt is just as wonderful. Your work is inspiring to me. I love seeing your work. My daughter and grandchildren are leaving on the 24 so I will be back joining the quilting community in June. My machine is fixed and after a few classes I'm going to try a quilt with machine embroidery something like yours. Have a wonderful sewing week my sweet quilting friend, and forgive me for not posting on your previous quilt. Remember the old song: Many a tear has to fall, but it's all in the game, all in the wonderful game of love.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Betsy's Closest is just the cutest! Love the checkerboard pattern and the fabrics you used for it... matches the beautiful embroidery perfectly! How special that you hand quilted it... and in a simple but effective pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That little quilt just looks lovely and especially in that little cradle. Isn't it great having husbands who create as well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. WHat a great finish, Lesley and just my style! The hand quilting looks superb too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Betsy's Closet is so adorable! Such an awesome finish! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow Lesley this is so precious and I love all the little embroidery blocks.....so neat!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very cute little stitcheries. I think I had a little sailor dress too! I may have to get this pattern. Cute cradle too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your quilt is adorable, it looks so cute hanging on the rack or in the sweet cradle!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh it is darling! What a wonderful job you did.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your quilt is absolutely stunning! The fabric choices are so pretty. And I love the stitchery and the quilting...just gorgeous! I love my Hera marker!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow Lesley!!! I absolutely LOVE it!!! I think it is easily one of the cutest stitchery patterns out there, and you've done such a lovely job of bringing it to life. Way to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lesley, how fun it is to see your 'Betsy's'! Thanks for choosing it & for sharing your photos! I love your colors & the quilting too. It's so fun to see how folks make theirs. xo, Bren

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love your BC wall hanging. Mine is still in progress! I love your sashing fabrics and the quilting you did on this! Beautiful cradle!

    ReplyDelete
  32. now how did I miss this my dear ....this quilt is simply out of this world beautiful...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!