Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Darlene's Mystery Parts 4 and 5

I love this quilt!  Over the past few days, I caught up and finished both parts 4 and 5 of Darlene's Mystery Quilt, a free quiltalong that she is creating for her local guild and for the rest of us in Blogland.  Darlene is such a creative gal! She blogs over at Quilts by Darlene and inspires us regularly with her projects. Now we are patiently waiting for Part 6 which will be available in July. Here is my quilt top showing the additions of parts 4 and 5...



Part 5 consisted of 48 log cabin blocks, made using a quick and easy method, while the Part 4 border was to be a combination of piano key units and HSTs. I went the fast and easy route and just used piano keys. Here it is before the log cabin blocks were added.


It's interesting to see how the trees behind the privacy fence have started to "leaf out" with the warmer weather on its way. 

I have a little secret....a couple of days ago, when I finished parts 4 and 5, I posted pictures of my quilt top on Darlene's Flickr page HERE. As I was admiring everyone else's quilt tops, I noticed that my corners were not the same as the others...can you see what I did wrong?


Just look in the corners...you can tell I added my rows without connecting the corners properly. So of course I then went back to my quilting chair, removed all the borders, changed a few blocks around, and my corners went from this


to this...


I am now a happy camper. The picture at the top of this post shows my rebordered quilt top. Darlene's Mystery will be put away for awhile, and now it's time to bring out Country Charmer. 

The monthly link up for the Country Charmer Quiltalong is fast approaching so hope you will come back in a few days to share your progress here. If you've finished your CC quilt, and have linked up in the past, please link up with us again showing your finished quilt...we love to be inspired each month!  CC quilt designer Lynne never stops sewing and designing at Sewn Wild Oaks , so make sure you see what she is up to

For those who link up that day to share their CC progress with us, there might be a giveaway, just saying, so see you in a few days. Haven't started yet?  No time like the present. Patterns can be ordered HEREThe parade of finished CC quilts or quilt tops is not until the end of November so there is lots of time to join or finish! 

Thanks so much for coming by. It's a great day for quilting!




20 comments:

  1. I think the quilt is beautiful. Boy, I rally had to look to see what you were talking about with the corners. But I would probably change them too. Remember my doing something similar with my Country Charmer? And I really need to get back to mine, but all other things have been out on hold til the hand quilting is done on the baby quilt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a spectacular quilt. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quilt is awesome. Glad you changed the corners - it's one of those things that you would always regret if you didn't do it when you had the chance. Can't wait to see part 6! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. The top is looking fabulous! I am glad you noticed the logs before you moved on to the next step.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this Quilt. I love the way you just did the pianoborder. I might just steal this idea if you do not mind.
    The log cabin corners looks better since you changed it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make such beautiful quilts with so much detail in them. This is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are sewing up a storm, the quilt top is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love when bloggers are honest - we all make those oopsie mistakes and we all own a seam ripper and know how to use it. This is looking wonderful - just love your change to the applique row, very subtle but blends so well with the rest of the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks wonderful Lesley , I have the logs all made but it sewn on yet . Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The mystery quilt is just wonderful... I too, had to look hard to find your mistaken corners! I love your fabrics... it looks so cheery!!! I'm way behind on this mystery quilt... need to get my act together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beauriful Lesley. Love your quilt. I also did not notice anything wrong. I am printing up your picture to make sure mine is correct. Thank you jlblvn@gmail com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is beautiful Lesly - what a great sewalong. I also couldn't work out what you meant by the corners but think your change is for the better. (I am so tempted to go to the start and make one for myself!!...OK, need to finish a few other projects first...!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A really beautiful quilt Lesley,I will be watching to see the finish.Lovely colours.x

    ReplyDelete
  14. You been busy "logging". ( wink). Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks wonderful, I didn't even notice the borders until you mentioned it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I guess you would only notice the blooper, it looks fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful quilt! I love how it has a little bit of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh this quilt looks sooooo good! great fabrics you chose btw!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is always interesting to watch a quilt grow. Every addition gives it more character. Even different corner blocks!! Looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is those Oops things that will drive us all batty until they are fixed. It looks great so far. I like the colors you are using.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!