Thursday, May 9, 2013

It's All About Friendship

Have you seen the summer edition of Primitive Quilts and Projects? 


I picked mine up last week at The Fabric Cupboard in Moncton and immediately flipped to page 74 to see this...




Does this look familiar to you? It is Friendship Garden, one of the three quilt patterns that I did on the quilt cruise to Alaska last summer with quilt instructors/designers Pam Buda of Heartspun Quilts and Lynne Hagmeier. They each made a version of this pattern which is included in the magazine. (Just in case you need clarification, giggle, the photos in the magazine are those of the quilts made by Pam and Lynne.) Does mine (below) look a little like theirs? Don't look too closely... 



I finished this month's set of baskets for the basket exchange with my blog friend Sandie who blogs at Sandra Kaye Designs. Sandie loves colour...I do too, but mostly blacks, browns, and greys, giggle, so I tried to add a little more colour in this batch.



Don't you love the yellow?  I'll send Sandie five of the blocks and keep five for me. Fifty-five blocks so far and climbing!

I kept on the theme of bright colours and pulled out a Schnibbles quilt project from last summer. The name of the quilt is Summer Day and I thought this would be perfect to infuse some colour in my sewing corner. After all, summer is coming, right? I had cut all the pieces last May, worked on it again a month or so ago, so guess it is time to finish it...



I completed all the blocks and put them together in a pattern...



and then started sewing the seven rows of seven.



I took a row outside and took another pic... 

I'm looking forward to getting the last two rows sewn together, adding the border, and sandwiching it. How I will quilt it is a story for another day. I purchased my new sewing machine many months ago with the intent of using it to do some FMQ and haven't tried it yet. Do you think I'm a procrastinator? 

I want to send a big hug and thanks out to another blog friend, Wendy, who blogs at Why Knot Kwilt. I was the winner of her giveaway recently and was thrilled when the special package arrived in the mail.You can read all about Wendy's "Quilt Redeemed" and the giveaway by clicking HERE.



The wallet is perfect for my cards, bills, and change and is so well made...hats off to you, Wendy! Wonderful Wendy even added to the giveaway package...she included these gorgeous Bella fat quarters by Amanda Murphy Designs. It's definitely time to spruce up some quilt projects in my sewing corner with these treasures.  

And that's not all...Wendy sent me my very own Reader Seater for my iPad.  (You may recognize my version of Darlene's Mystery quilt on the screen. Parts 4 and 5 still to be completed.)



Wendy designed this adorable and very useful Reader Seater, the perfect invention to hold my iPad while reading blogs at night or watching movies in bed. That scissor fabric is awesome! With the Reader Seater, your hands are free, so a person can even quilt in bed...just saying.The pattern is available on Craftsy right HERE. Way to go, Wendy, and thanks so much...you are a doll!

Another peek, another screen...




Wendy is one of the cheerleaders for the blog hops sponsored by Madame Samm at Sew We QuiltThe latest hop is going on right now. It's called "It's For The Birds" and runs from May 8th - May 15th. You should see the bluebirds, and the green one, giggle, that Wendy has created for the hop HERE. To see the whole range of birdie designs created by over one hundred quilters, check out Madame Samm's Pinterest page with lots of feathered inspiration HERE or drop by to visit host Mary at I Piece 2-Mary.

Tomorrow and Saturday I am participating with a quilt friend in  day-long quilting workshops. I'm making a jellyroll quilt on Friday and placemats/table runner on Saturday. My sewing corner may gather dust over the weekend, but I won't!

Update:  What a time I am having!  Jackie and the delightful staff of the Mira Stitch 'n Post from Marion Bridge, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, have hosted a fabulous day of sewing, shopping, and quilting camaraderie at the Maritime Inn in Port Hawkesbury. The meeting rooms have been transformed into a quilting mecca full of fabrics, notions, patterns, kits, and Husqvarna sewing machines.  Jackie is offering fantastic prices on the sewing machines and has a giant table of fabric for $4 a metre. Can't beat that! I'm going back in a few minutes for the Trunk Show from 7-9 and will be going back in the morning at 10 for another workshop.  If you live anywhere close by, drop in! Her travelling shop will be open all day tomorrow. The info and hours can be found at her web site HERE. 

It's a great day for quilting!

9 comments:

  1. Love the color combo on your Schnibbles Summer Day quilt! I'll be watching for your FMQ finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lesley, lots of beauties in this post! Your Summer Day quilt stands out in my mind the most. Love how that's coming along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colors will definitely bring summer to your creating space. Your baskets look awesome. YES....I love yellows!

    What a nice win. You can certainly put all of that to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the colors in your Schnibbles quilt!!! And it is a simple, easy pattern - perfect for summer :*) Of course, you know I had to go over and order the pattern for the Reader Seater! What a great idea ♥ Have lots of fun sewing with your friends this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are always so busy! I think your quilt looks every bit as good as the ones in the magazine!! great work with the basket blocks, too.
    Love the colours in the Summer day quilt. This one is looking lovely.
    Have fun with your iPod seat. That's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely win! The reader seater is very unique & I love the fabric too! Your projects look great. I love the Primitive Quilts magazine and have looked for it in the stores, but not seen it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness you have been busy! I'm in agreement with the others about the Summer Days quilt... love the fresh, cheery fabric and colors! The latest PQ magazine is fast becoming my favorite issue to date... so many great projects!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are having WAY too much fun!
    Your quilt looks exactly like the one in the magazine...so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your new quilt is so fresh and colourful, I love how it's turning out. Such nice gifts from friends. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!