Sunday, May 19, 2013

Jelly Rolling Along

Last weekend I attended quilt workshops put on by owner Jacquie and her staff from the Mira Stitch 'n Post which is located in Marion Bridge, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. Friday was the the jelly roll quilt you see in the picture below, and on Saturday it was the paper-pieced place mats and table runner you see to the left of the quilt. 



The quilt shop is almost two hours from where I live, but the best thing about this workshop is that Jacquie and members of her staff came to my home town with fabrics, sewing machines, and lots of expertise!  They transformed the meeting rooms of one of the local motels into a quilting mecca. 

We shopped and shopped and shopped...


  










Then we sewed, and sewed, and sewed...






By the end of the day, I had a pretty good start on my jelly roll quilt. Thanks to Jacquie's on-site LQS, I had lots of jelly rolls to choose from, so I picked the Wild Berry Bali Pop by Hoffman.  










At the end of the day, I piled everything in a tote, brought it home,  and continued sewing in my sewing corner this week. 



















Lots of chain piecing in my sewing corner...



and the piles grew and grew. Do you see the diamonds created in the blocks?



I laid out the blocks on the floor, and started with a plan, but then realized I didn't have to worry so much...it was just a colourful, happy bunch of blocks that would be very content wherever I put them! 



I added the border fabric I had purchased from the shop that day.  I used twenty-four ten inch blocks, four rows of six, making a quilt approximately 50" x 70". And now the flimsy is a finish...on a very windy day...




The sun peeked in and out of the clouds, changing my quilt colours a tad...


Instructor Jacquie called her sample quilt, "Broken Glass", but I may call mine either "Stained Glass" or "Mish Mash"!  I love the bright colours...the purples, the pinks, the oranges and greens...they just make me smile!

Jacquie told us she found the pattern for the quilt available free online through 3 Dudes Quilting. Jenny at the Missouri Star Quilt Company has a great video on YouTube where she shows the quick method we used that day to make the blocks. She calls it the "Amazing Jelly Roll Quilt Pattern by 3 Dudes" and you can view it HERE



Woodworker Hubby made a rack for me last year that I could use to take pictures of the quilts and tops outside. I wanted to be able to take pictures of any size of quilt so he made the rack so I can hang them at three different levels. All I do is pin some fabric tabs to the back of the top or the quilt, put a metal rod through the tabs, and put the rod at the appropriate level. It works great...except when the wind is blowing through the boards! 

I had a lot of fun sewing this quilt, and I bet you can tell because it went from a jelly roll to a quilt top in less than a week. If you follow my blog, you know how many "works in progress" are in my sewing corner.  So huge thanks to Jacquie and the gals from the Mira Stitch 'n Post for hosting a terrific quilting weekend. I had a blast! And thanks as well to my good quilting buddy who shared the weekend of sewing with me...you know who you are!


It's a great day for quilting!



29 comments:

  1. This looks like a fun venue for all. The 3 Dudes pattern is quick and fun and you chose a great Bali Pop to make it with - great colors, lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow--they went to a lot of effort to make that a great event for you. I'm impressed.
    I love the Bali Pop you chose--worked up into a beautiful top. That would be a record for a flimsy finish for me. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quick and fun quilt looks really great. Can't wait to see it quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looked like a great day. love the look of they jelly roll quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Now that's some eye candy with tons of colorful calories!

    You're absolutely right when you say that's a "happy quilt", Lesley. It certainly brings a smile to one's face. Great job, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow - stunning jellyroll quilt - and yes, I can see the possibilities with the layout of that block :-) Great idea for the rack for taking photos outside... I'm always draping and pegging and hunting for a suitable sot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing quilt - the colours are just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jelly roll quilts look great in Bali Pops! Yours has turned out beautifully. Love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well how awesome is that for a great quilt shop to bring all their goodies and come to YOU!...and then sit right down and sew them right up! Your quilt top looks wonderful. I love the pop of orange in all that purple. Look at you, Lesley, and all your bright quilting lately! lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like it was a fun weekend and a great quilt. We enjoyed their visit too !

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty (just love those happy colors!) and I love your photo rack too... I need to figure out an outdoor photo spot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What fun that must have been. Your batik quilt is gorgeous, so pretty. Great idea for easy photo shooting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a very fun weekend and the quilt you made is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful and colorful quilt! I think those batiks make perfect quilts. Thank you for the info so I can try it. I love Jenny from Missouri Star. She makes quilting easy and fun. Thank you Lesley. Your posts are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your mish mash, so bright and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like you had so much fun! What a great way to spend the day! Love your JR quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow - what a fun quilt, Lesley! And to have the shop come to you - now that's service! Your hubby made a great rack, too!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How much fun was that and it looked like you actually had enough space to sew. The best result was that lovely quilt. You picked good Lesley. I love those fabrics. I'm now closing my eyes and will NOT look at them again and be tempted to get me some....:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this quilt and your choice of colours in the jelly roll. And thank you for the photos and the links. I knew how to make this block but did not know about that wonderful short cut! Fantastic. Love learning new things!! Your quilt also looks great on the new rack outside. Lovely to have photos in the sun. Who cares if the wind blows it around - still looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice work, love all the coloursa and your little sewing corner!
    The quilt rack for out side is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Whether you call it Stained Glass or Mish Mash, it's gorgeous! It's almost like a surprise quilt, because you really don't have an idea of how it will look until you start laying those blocks out! Thanks for the links!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness - hooray for you!!! I just love all the fun color and movement in this wonderful quilt top Lesley!!! And what a great pattern too - it looks like it was a joy to piece together :*)

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is such a wonderful pattern and is gorgeous in those colors.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am totally LOVING this quilt!!! Gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. P.S. I see quilties on the board behind your project:):):) That just makes my heart happy:):)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've used this method before, but mine never looked as good as yours does. I just picked up a jelly roll...think I'll try it again and hope mine looks half as good as yours. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  27. What marvellous people to bring their shop to you. I know what a lot of work that is. But I bet if you need anything you phone them first - so a good business idea too.
    Love the quilt pattern. I have a Kaffe Fassett jelly roll I won, and this may be the pattern I will use for it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!