Thursday, June 20, 2013

Blogger Girls BOM and Artisans Collective

My sewing corner beckoned me the other day and told me to catch up on another of my Block of the Month projects. So off I went to Monique Dillard's Open Gate Blog, found the instructions for the final two blocks of the 6-month Blogger Girls BOM HERE and got busy. In no time at all, I had made the final four blocks for my 12-block quilt. Once a month since January, Monique would publish a free block design made in two versions. 

Here is my version 1 of block 5...


and version 2 of Block 5...



version 1 of block 6...


and version 2 of block 6, with a very slight variation to the design...



I used a variety of reds, blacks, creams, and whites. All together now...


These blocks were so much fun to make and it was so interesting to see the block change before my eyes because of the fabric choices. The next step is making the sashings. I have to make 31 pieced sashings, each one having 29 pieces, so definitely not something I can whip up. I have finished cutting the lights and now have to cut the darks. Then I'll just start making the strips a few at a time, while still working on my other projects.

We are ready for summer at the Artisans Collective craft shop. If you happen to be travelling to Cape Breton, Nova Scotia this summer, you drive right by the shop if you drive around the rotary after crossing the Canso Causeway. We are located at the entrance to Cape Breton, an island on the east coast of Nova Scotia. Unfortunately, I know most of you will not be heading in this direction, so hope you don't mind seeing a few pictures of what you will be missing.

What is the Artisans Collective? We are a group of 13 women, and a couple of husbands, who live within half an hour of the shop and sell our hand-crafted items during the summer season. We managed to have a picture of 12 of us taken the other day when we set up shop and hung the new sign. I am the lady in lime green at the far right holding a quilt...yes, I was trying to hide behind the quilt!  



So without further ado, welcome to the Artisans Collective shop...





























Hope you enjoyed the show! We are open for the season through to mid-October. If you're in the area, our hours are Monday-Friday from 9-5, and starting in July, we'll be open on Saturdays and Sundays from 12-4.  Maybe I'll see you at the shop!

It's a great day for quilting!

14 comments:

  1. Your blocks are just wonderful. I am always amazed at how different the same block can look when showcasing other fabrics!! You have such a good eye for color/color combos. The shop looks lovely - nice and full. Can't wait for the opportunity to stop by and check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blocks, love your fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your shop looks wonderful! Wish I were near you..... I would surely love to visit and pick up a few goodies. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blocks. Your shop is amazing! What gorgeous quilty items up for sale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have enjoyed seeing your blocks and look forward to seeing the finished project.. 29 pcs in the sashing blocks will keep you busy for a bit.

    The shop contents are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, the shop looks wonderful. Never in a million years did I dream that it would look like this. WHat a great job you all did in setting it up. I hope you all sell out and by the looks of things, you should.

    Your blocks for the Blogger Girls BOM look smashing as well. I can't believe how much you've accomplished. You put me to shame! Great work, Lesley.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMGosh....I want to come visit the shop in person. What fun! Your blocks are also gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely blocks - oh, I love the shop. The large lighthouse wallhanging just jumps right out at me - and a few more grab my elbow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice shop to visit; looks like it's going to be a successful enterprise. Your blocks look great. I have my favorite version of the two versions, but when seen all together I like them all. It's going to be a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would LOVE to spend some time (and money) in your shop! What a talented group. I've always wanted to go to Nova Scotia.......maybe one of these days I'll surprise you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful blocks and the color changes sure change the block appearance . Wow your shop is full, lovely work , I will definitely have to stop by and see it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your collective is a wonderful idea. This is a perfect way to show all the beautiful work everyone does and to make a few sales as well.
    Your photos show that there is a wide range of items available. They all look fantastic on display.
    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your blocks and all the eye candy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!