Wednesday, July 31, 2013

August Country Charmer Update

It's the first of the month so it must be time for a Country Charmer QAL update! 

We've had a fabulous time connecting once a month since February sharing our progress by linking up here and posting pics on our Flickr page. Designer Lynn of Sew'n Wild Oaks is just the bestest teacher...she has helped us along every step of the way, providing tutorials at the top of her blog page HERE and posting pictures from our no-blog friends as well. 

Awhile back, Lynn entertained us with the story of the travelling Country Charmer quilts, as she put it, "Country Charmer Hits the Road", a delightful tale of a CC journey! The quilts are just so beautiful! If you haven't started this quilt, now is the time to do it. Lots of time to get the flimsy, or even the quilt, all finished up for our CC parade at the end of November. Lynn's patterns are available at In Between Stitches. 

What have I been doing with my CC? If you recall, last month I had sewn my 20 blocks together complete with a change of sashing and nine-patches. My goal this month was to add the borders. So I did. Red and blue borders because I love red and blue together! The blocks are pretty scrappy, but there are some blocks that have red and blue in them!



It was so windy the day I took the pictures that I used some chairs to hold the bottom of the quilt in place it in place but it kind of skews the quilt a bit, so perhaps we'll focus on the top of the CC...





It's also a little difficult to see the pattern that the 9-patch makes, so I tried a couple of pics with CC hanging on the clothesline...



But I don't think that helped a lot, and then the CC kite just started to soar, and soar, and soar. 



In fact, it stopped soaring and started to fly! It is flying all the way across Canada from my home in Eastern Nova Scotia, through the US, all the way to California, and is going all the way into the arms of designer Lynn herself who is going to custom quilt my CC flimsy. Am I excited? Is this beyond belief? That my little quilt, with it's slightly fudged seams, and a few missing points, is going to be quilted by the queen bee herself ? Yes, in a moment of extreme kindness and appreciation, Lynn offered to quilt my CC for me, a gesture that is so much appreciated by this Cape Breton gal. Her customized quilting is exquisite and stunning. Have a peek here... 

It should arrive at Lynn's any day now and if all goes well, I should have it back for the parade in November. But like I told Lynn, no rush, no pressure, whenever it arrives is fine by me. Thank you, Lynn, you're a doll! 

I hope you all link up below to show us your CC quilt and/or your progress. We never tire of seeing these quilty creations! Thanks to you all for participating and/or following our progress.

The Nova Scotian Blogger Quartet (Sheila who blogs at Sheila's Quilt World, Karen at KaHolly, Linda at Scrapmaster, and moi, The Cuddle Quilter) have plans to meet up at the Northumberland Quilt Show happening this weekend in Pictou. If you're within driving distance, you really should come along and join us. I've been to it several times and am always impressed with the quilt display and sale. Plus I hear there will be vendors! A little more info can be found HERE.

Before I go, just want to remind you of the HoHoHo Blog Hop that started today thanks to Madame Samm at  Sew We Quilt and Christmas Carol at Just Let Me Quilt. Carol is the most Christmasy quilter/blogger/hostess out there and has done a tremendous job of bringing all the bloggers together to share their Christmas projects. And you should see what she did for the hop...so cool! Click on the button on the sidebar to see the schedule.



That's it for today. Please don't forget to link up with your CC below.

It's a great day for quilting!

19 comments:

  1. Your flying quilt story is told so nicely. You do have a good time taking those pictures, don't you? CC is beautiful now and when Lynn is done quilting it it will be a knock out. Have fun at the quilt show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting to have Lynn quilt your precious baby for you! I will be a day late with my post as I am posting for the hop on the 1st. I am a bit behind as the fabrics I ordered for sashing, etc.. only just arrived today - they sat in a FedEx Office somewhere in Mass. for a very long time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's easy to see why the CC quilts are so popular all over blogland! Watching from the sidelines, seeing the blocks multiply over the months, and now to see them as flimsy's... what gorgeous quilts! How fun that your quilt is off to the designer in CA to be quilter!!! What a thrill for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a fun quilt. I love the way the 9-patch cornerstones and sashing create a cool pattern of chains with the block design.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no, I'm late again. I have the photos but haven't written my post yet, so I'll do that later, sorry. Your quilt looks great, and how wonderful that it's going to be quilted by Lynn herself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just love it Lesley!! How exciting to have Lynn quilt it for you, I have just visited her blog and wow!! amazing!! I am still tempted to make up this pattern but wouldn't make the deadline...hmm...next leader ender project...! Anyway I love yours even if it does have a case of wind!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aren't you just the luckiest! You must be so excited! I am excited for you. Lynn is amazing! You will most definitely have a masterpiece when it returns.
    See you on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. your quilt top is fabulous!! love it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice, love the country charmer blocks, look forward to seeing it upon its return! When are you in my neck of the woods again (I promise there will be no flood)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt is gorgeous Lesley and looks lovely whipping in the wind . Can't wait to see it all quilted by the talented Lynn. See you Saturday !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Country Charming is amazing. I love it. Thanks for putting this together for us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Lesley, it's just beautiful. You do such lovely work. I followed the link to Lynn's and am so impressed with the quilting she did on hers. How the design in each of those blocks 'pop', as they say!! Can't wait to see yours when it's finished. We are both lucky to have awesome quilters willing to take the challenge of working on our less than perfect tops!! I'll see you tomorrow!! Looking forward! ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  13. It turned out absolutely fabulous and the border colors you chose are just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh, Lesley, your Country Charmer is really a beauty! I love the photo of it soaring in the wind!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How wonderful to have Lynn quilt your quilt. That is just so special. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your quilt top is stunning Lesley - I can't wait to see it quilted! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your quilt is very beautiful...I just love the colors you've chosen!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!