Saturday, July 13, 2013

Christmas Quiltalong and Three Updates

For updates, please go to the end of this post. 
What a perfect day to take part in the 2013 Christmas Quiltalong coordinated by Hazel at Hazel's Quilts and Joanna at Needle, Thread, Happiness. Why? Because it's early in the day and it is already 26 degrees out...and I do not get along with heat!  So off to the cool basement I go with my Christmas projects in hand. 



But before I go, I'll link up with Hazel HERE. Won't you join us, either today or tomorrow? You can participate in the challenge created by QuiltSue at Quilt Times, or just sew some Christmas projects which is what I am going to do. 

I started a couple of Christmas projects last December, worked on them for a few months and then put them away for awhile. So now it's time to open them up...



I opened my Nostalgic Quilt tote first. This pattern is one of the most gorgeous Christmas patterns on the market, at least in my humble opinion. The pattern works for pillows or quilts and can be changed up to match the seasons. It is designed by the lovely Lynn at Sew'n Wild Oaks, creator of the Country Charmer Quilt (that I am hosting in a QAL with monthly updates HERE). The good news is that I already have 6 blocks done. I raced outside and took a picture a few minutes ago but the sun is so strong even at this time in the morning that it faded the picture a bit...



I am using a layer cake called Sentiments by 3 Sisters and adding lots of stash fabrics to keep the red and green theme. My goal this weekend is to make two more blocks, using the printed panels as the centre of each...



Then it was time to see what I had in my Dresden Plates tote...three plates already made and the remaining of the 380 plates all cut out!



The pattern is a free one that is posted on the United Notions web site HERE. I am using a huge variety of Christmas fabrics that I had in my stash. Do you recognise any?



My goal? To make two more blades this weekend.

So off I go to sew, sew, sew with quilters from across the globe. If you love Christmas like I do, this is the perfect time to start getting ready!  I will be linking up with Hazel HERE and hope you do too! 

Update 1:  It is now lunch time and I have completed one of my goals, having just finished 2 more Dresden Plates. The sun continues to shine...


 

Update 2:  It is now almost 8:30 and I have just finished another one of my Nostalgic Christmas blocks. I did take some time off this afternoon first to enjoy some wonderful family phone calls plus managed a fitness walk with Woodworker Hubby later in the afternoon. After supper I went back to my corner and finished the block. I forgot to mention that I adapted Lynn's pattern a little bit by decreasing the size of the blocks...my blocks measure about 15". Here is today's block...




Update 3: It's Sunday, July 14, a special day in our household. Thirty-four years ago today, Woodworker Hubby and The Cuddle Quilter said "I do".  We've already had a great day! Even with church, breakfast out, and buying some yummy lobster to have for supper, there was still plenty of time left for me in my sewing corner while WH worked in the yard. I just finished another of the Nostalgic Christmas blocks.



I'm really pleased with myself this weekend. I met my goal of finishing two Dresden plates and two Nostalgic Christmas blocks. Yay me! I'll put everything back in the totes until next time.

Thank you to our wonderful hostess Hazel, her fellow QAL coordinator Joanna, and all the participants who have shared their projects this weekend. It's been a great weekend!

It's always a great day for quilting! 

32 comments:

  1. Great projects! I'll be sewing along later today and tomorrow. Have to spend some time with the DH first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just love the Nostalgic blocks with the Sentiment fabrics. Very obtainable goals you have set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Lesley, I have been thinking of making a Christmas Dresden Plate quilt this year, too. I love what you are working on. Very elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your projects! I've done my sewing for the day, hope to get a little more in tomorrow if I can... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Sweetie!!! I love dresden plates!!! I will go over and see whats happening....I really need motivation to get some Christmas stuff done:):)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at you with your labelled boxes! Like hexies and lone stars, dresden plates are on my 'must learn how to do' list. I fancy cushion covers with them on, I think. Yours look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your dresden plates, your Nostalgic quilt looks very complicated but very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was a great day for hiking along the ocean, too!! I'd better get off this computer and get some seeing accomplished so I can continue to say I've sewn every day during July!! Love your Christmas projects. Keep up the good work. Come Christmas, you'll be so glad you did.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, wait, I sewed on my hexies almost the whole drive - a couple of hours worth! That counts!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You put a new twist to Barn Quilts; we now have Fence Quilts. I love them and your Christmas Sentiments. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Look at you go! I am in love with your dresden plates. Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love all your projects and those Christmas Dresdens are beautiful...well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your nostalgic blocks are lovely, and the dresden plate quilt is going to look great - and has made me want one too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aren't your nostalgic Christmas blocks pretty? Another winner of a design from Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, you did get down to business. Love those Dresden plates and the other quilt is going to be stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with everyone else's comments!! The dresden's are wonderful and I've always loved the nostalgic Christmas. Congrats on all you got done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah for you. They all look great.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those Dresdens are just gorgeous, Lesley. I also love the blocks. What pretty quilts they will make.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the Dresden Plates I keep saying I'm going to make some but I never get round to it. But yours are beautiful. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a great idea...you will have some wonderful Christmas projects finished in time for the celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy, Happy Anniversary! I hope you and DH have (had) a wonderful day. The sentiments blocks just keep looking gorgeous; that's a beautiful project.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for joining in the fun today, Lesley - enjoy your lobster!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh you got lots done!!! Love the dresdens... I have some stashed away somewhere, but I'd love to do a Christmas one... hmmm... new project?! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy anniversary. Hope the lobster was good?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy Anniversary! 26* sounds beautiful. We're shivering through 13* maximums in South Australia at the moment. Not as cold as Canadian winter, but we don't have heating in our homes down here! I always love 3 sisters fabric ranges. I have some Winterkist for a project.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love seeing all your progress. The Dresden plates are looking wonderful and I like the way you have adapted the Nostalgic blocks.
    Have fun.
    Congratulations on your anniversary. A wonderful achievement!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your Dresdan plates are beautiful and I LOVE your Nostalgic blocks!
    These are both wonderful Christmas quilt projects!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations on your anniversary Lesley! How sweet!!! I have that panel... but haven't made anything with it yet. I love seeing what you are doing with it... and the Dresden's are my most favorite of all!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy Anniversary Lesley! Yes I recognize some of those Christmas prints in the Dresden plates! What a super fun way to use up the seasonal fabric... they look so festive! The Heirloom Christmas quilt is wonderful as well. Love the softness of Sentiments line of fabric. Cute how you kept updating us too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. congrats on the wedding anniversary! we celebrated 35 in June. Love your dresden plates on the fence.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh wow......amazing projects

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!