Thursday, July 18, 2013

Popsicles, Friends, and Totes

I just finished putting together a jelly roll quilt called Hugs and Kisses. The pattern is designed by Christa of Christa Quilts and is one of her free QALs that she offers on her blog. I also made Christa's Sea of Squares quilt and plan on starting her String of Pearls in the near future. Christa has an online fabric shop and sells kits for many of her QAL projects! Update: You can go to Christa's Flickr page to see everyone's projects from her QALs by clicking HERE.

I had won a jelly roll of Snap Pops by Sandy Gervaise and thought this would make a perfect quilt for a Tween, or maybe useful as a picnic quilt? The colours are so fresh and vibrant that it makes me think of Popsicles, so I present to you "Popsicles"!


I found the colours a little faded in this pic...another beautiful sunny day in Paradise, so I hung it on the line for a few more pics.


It was just a tad windy...perhaps I should rename this "Popsicle Kite!"I stood under the quilt as it waved in the breeze...the neighbours must think I'm crazy when they look over and see me snapping these shots...


but who could resist seeing these vibrant colours with the sun shining through! 


I plan on doing the machine quilting myself. The quilt is not very large...48" x 62", and my repertoire is pretty limited. I think I could manage to do stitch in the ditch, cross hatching, or checkerboard. Any suggestions?

Aren't blog friends the best!  Karen of KaHolly gifted me with these adorable note cards that arrived in the mail yesterday. She is so talented! The cards are incredibly well made, each quilt picture framed with a different colour. I love note cards and am always on the search for quilt-related ones. Thank you, Karen, you rock!


I was also the winner of a giveaway recently. Thanks to Liz at Moments , I am the recipient of three new tote bag patterns designed by Sara at Sew Sweetness. Her bags are all so sweet, and it was pretty tricky to decide on three. Here is what I chose...

I love the pdf versions...within a few minutes of getting an email from Liz to say I was a winner, the pdf files arrived from Sara. Thanks, gals, these will be lots of fun to make! 

Yesterday was a full day of attaching bindings and making some progress on a few quilts. I finished off my day in front of the TV, watching Master Chef and putting a few stitches in my Schnibbles Dulcinea quilt...




Today will be another great day for quilting!


35 comments:

  1. What a pretty quilt top! I love the picture of it hanging on the line! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!! Fantastic colorful summer quilt flying in the wind like the best kite ever!! Use a fun variegated thread to really mKe it pop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the colors are exactly like popsicles, especially the blue. Makes me smile at remembering them. I love the blue in your snibbles quilt; like a tropical ocean. Neighbors of quilters are lucky; they get to see pretty things on the clothesline:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your 'flying' Popsicles! The bright colors just scream fun! Good Luck with the quilting - I always have trouble deciding on the motif. Any that you mentioned should work fine. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the popsicles - full of energy and brightness!

    I think your hand quilting is terrific - so neat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Popsicle kwilt and the bag patterns. I am addicted to making bags!!!! Yiu have been busy...as usual! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I Love the colours in your Schnibbles quilt and your Popsicle quilt is so bright and a great summer quilt. Congrats on winning the tote patterns and getting those lovely note cards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, wow, look at all the color - love the 'fluttering' photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great twist on the bow tie block and love the wind in the photos! great picks on the bags you must be have a good luck charm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the quilt blowing in the wind. I also love how the light is shinning through it.

    The colors in the Dulcinea are so luscious. That is going to be a stunning finish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a pretty quilt blowing in the breeze , it does remind me of Popsicles . Congrats on the win , they look like fun totes to make.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so welcome, Lesley. Thank you for being you. That popsicle quilt is absolutely gorgeous. The colors are...well... delicious. You've been hard at work!! Got a chuckle at your windy pictures! Happens to me almost every time I try to hang a quilt for picture time!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your hugs and kisses aka Popsicle quilt. I have a hugs and kisses quilt too. I think I am going to try to free hand a little heart motif in the open spaces. What a great jelly roll though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Popsicle Kite looks like a gorgeous stained glass window! Just beautiful Lesley.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was thinking the same as Lynn when looking at the pictures of the Popsicle quilt blowing in the wild wind... it reminds me of stain glass! Love your Dulcinia quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE your popsicle quilt!!! And what fun photography ;-) [One advantage, for me, living way out in the country - no neighbours to peer over the fence at my antics!!] I am sure you will have fun with those lovely bag patterns. Hope you're having a nice day quilting - your schnibbles is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love, love, love your popsicle quilt. I especially like it blowing in the wind. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've quite a bit of catching up to do on my blog side bar, but I love your quilt fluttering in the breeze and it would make a lovely Tween quilt as it is so colourful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your photos, your vibrant quilt really is like a box of popsicles...i would relish any breeze here...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your Popsicle quilt is fabulous! So summery. So pretty. Love the cards Karen made for you. Isn't she just the sweetest! Hope to see one of those bags all sewn up next time I see you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Save the lime green popsicles for me please...they're my fave!!! Your popsicle looks delicious...oops, I mean beautiful. So summery, especially against the blue sky and the salty winds making it soar.

    Wonderful notecards from Karen. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just love your quilt especially the photo of it floating in the skyp, great job.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your popsicle quilt top is lovely. I really like the way the sunshine gives it a stained glass look. Yes, i can imagine the neighbours looks as it flapped around in the wind.
    Your Schnibbles is looking lovely, too.
    My quilting time is often my catching up on TV time as well. It works!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love, Love, Love your popsicle quilt...it screams HAPPY!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just LOVE your quilt, those are my kind of colors. if it was me, I would quilt in a crosshatch about every 2.5 inches. Cannot wait to see the finished quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wish I could stop by and help put in a few stitches...looks like a wonderfully fun stitching time!
    LOVE the popsicles on the line photos...beautiful!
    I would like to do radiating circles in the hug blocks and some straight line X echoing in the kisses blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ooooo I love your Popsicle quilt! It definitely looks like Popsicles - perfect name!!! And I love the way the sun shining through a quilt top makes it look like stained glass :*) Great wins - Sew Sweetness makes some really cute purses. I see you chose one of my favorite patterns :*)

    ReplyDelete
  28. The Popsicle quilt is very pretty. I agree it would be great for a tween girl. My daughter loves those bright colours. She is 10.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the Popsicle quilt, especially with the sun shining through it. And great choices for the bag patterns, I'm gonna go take a look at those, there's one I realy like, congrats on the win.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love your popsicle quilt! Such beautiful clear colors - just look like summer. :) I think if it were me I'd do a simple meander all over the quilt. Loops and swirls are so forgiving and would soften the straight lines of the piecing. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your Popsicle is just wonderful. I love all the colors. And congrats on the win. That is always so much fun. P.S. I believe that people think I am crazy too when they see me places photographing my quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a beautiful quilt Lesley and what fun colors! We all have to laugh wondering what our neighbors think of us with quilts outside flying in the wind!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your popsicles just is just wonderful. I love that you photographed it outside in the sun. Really makes those colors sing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great fabrics, any decision for your quilting? I also did this QAL, and have only outlined my O blocks so far, I keep changing my mind for the rest of the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  35. The colors turned out so cheerful - thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!