Friday, July 26, 2013

Stained Glass, Nabby's Dowry, and Big Bucket Tote

It always feels a little bit like Christmas when I finish a quilt. Maybe because it gives me the freedom and time to start another? What ever the reason, I am thrilled to show you my latest finish. 



I called this "Broken Glass" on my previous posts, but on the label, I inadvertently called it "Stained Glass", so "Stained Glass" it is! 



The quilting was done by the Mira Sitch 'n Post in Marion Bridge, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. When I picked the design, I was overwhelmed by the many choices. This particular design was one they had used on a similar quilt so it quickly became my number one choice and I love the result! The dark thread is a lovely contrast to the fabrics and shows particularly well on the front and back.



I had a few pieced blocks left over, so I used them to frame my label.




Just one more pic from the clothesline. No kite quilt that day!


The quilt finishes at 50" x 70", a perfect size for a "cuddle  quilt". I worked at the Artisans Collective shop the other day and one of the summer students at the museum bought a sweet little lap quilt make by one of my colleagues. She was thrilled to find a quilt that matched her dorm room and can't wait to cuddle up in it for their scheduled movie nights. What a great way to use a quilt that is way too big for a crib, and way too small for a bed cover! You can read about the making of this quilt from start to finish HERE

When I picked up "Stained Glass", I happened to arrive on the day of the birthday celebration of the shop owner, Jacquie Gillis. To celebrate, she was having a huge 40% off sale on absolutely everything in the store...everything! Before I shopped, Jacquie insisted I pose with the quilt. She takes pics of all the finished quilts with their owners and posts them on the shop's Facebook page HERE. If you look around, you'll be able to see me on her July 18 post. Note to self, horiziontal stripes are not very flattering! 

I purchased lots of fabrics, notions, and batting that day...all things that I needed, including two border fabrics for my Country Charmer quilt. You'll see these on August 1 when I hope you'll come back for the monthly CCQAL update. Of course I couldn't resist buying a few fabrics just because...these were actually 60% off that day. 


It's just been a fabulous week in my sewing corner. Once I finished the binding and label for Stained Glass, I decided to treat myself with a new project. Pam Buda of Heartspun Quilts has just started the free Nabby Dowry Sewalong. She will be posting a new block every Friday for 6 weeks. The unfinished blocks are 6.5" so it takes no time at all to stitch one up. She started by asking everyone to cut 162 HSTs at the start, but I decided to cut and sew for each week's block. I chose to use blacks and creams, with a tiny bit of red thrown in the mix. Here are the first two...


I attended a bridal shower last week for the daughter of one of my very special friends, so of course I wanted to make a special gift for this sweetie!  She is a teacher, so rather than give a gift for she and her fiance to share, I decided to make a teacher tote just for her! Teachers always love totes, or so says my "teacher daughter", so I used the Big Bucket Tote pattern and the rest of my Avalon jelly roll. This is the second tote I have made from this pattern and I think there may be more on the way! 


Of course I used my "teaacher" ABC fabric I purchased awhile back for the lining...


and no Teacher Tote would be complete without a matching pencil case that I filled with new markers, pens, and post-it notes before I wrapped it up.


I have lots more on the go but that will have to wait for another post.  It's time for my morning coffee! 

It's a great day for quilting!

24 comments:

  1. Lesley - You have been so busy! I love your Stained Glass quilt. The purples are so morning glory gorgeous. The teacher tote came out lovely as well, and I really like the idea of the pencil case tucked away inside and filled with goodies. What a super gift idea. I can't wait to see what you do with your new sale fabric. Have a super day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, love the tote as well, Have a great weekend!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is gorgeous Lesley and I love the quilting choice . What a super idea for a gift for a,teacher , the tote is lovely and so is the pencil case , that would be great for sewing too ;-) You scored well at the stitchin post , great sale !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lesley, your Broken Stained Glass quilt is a beauty for sure! I love the teacher tote. It looks deep enough for her to crawl inside and pull stuff out like Mary Poppins. Awesome fabrics for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your quilt. love the color. the tote is a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the softness of the Stained/Broken Glass quilt. The tote and pencil case are also wonderful. You've had a fun sewing and finishing week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lesley I love all your work but that quilt is just beautiful.As I am an old lady and as in Jenny Joseph's poem wearing purple......if you feel the need to give it away my address is........haha xx
    Ps don't send it to Sue she's a lot younger than me haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely work Lesley - you are enjoying your summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to try to finish something sometime....:D Lovely quilt Lesley.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Stained Glass quilt is gorgeous ! The tote is just a perfect gift for a teacher LOVE IT !

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love this one Lesley... just gorgeous! And, yes, you DID have a very productive week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stained Glass is a charming quilt; you do a great job choosing fabrics to go with each other. I love the cream and black blocks. That's going to be a striking quilt. I think that dorm quilt is going to much used and loved.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooooo I really love Stained Glass!!! Such color and playfulness :*) And I think I hear those fabrics you bought on sale calling the fabrics in my stash, asking if they can come over and play? =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  14. You make the neatest totes and little zippered thingees, Lesley. If only I could get over my zipperphobia I'd have a million of them, just because I love them!

    Your stained glass quilt is waaay cool, especially the colors. Too cool. And that's all you bought at 40% off? You're slipping, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. Just wonderful. And at those prices I'm amazed that you didn't snatch up more goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It really does look like stained glass, so I think that's a great name for that gorgeous quilt. I wish I could have popped over for that 40% off sale...sounds like so much fun! PS--you look great in those horizontal stripes. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay! Another finish, and such a pretty one! Well done. As a former teacher, I can tell you that your gift will be very much appreciated, and then some. Great idea! She will be the envy of all the other teachers! You'll be getting requests for more! Take care - hopefully I'll see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful quilt Lesley and the quilting is just perfect for it! Great tote and pencil bag also!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great finish with your stained glass quilt. It does look lovely. The colours are gorgeous.
    Looks like a few really good bargains from your shopping, too.
    Totes are definitely very handy for teachers. More lovely fabrics there, too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think Stained Glass is the perfect name for your quilt... it's the first thing I thought of when you had it hanging on your line as a flimsy! I'm seeing awesome Pam Buda blocks all over blogland and yours are among them! Love the big bucket tote, especially the straight line quilting. You are staying busy, Lesley!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your Stained Glass Quilt is beautiful. I love you Nabby's Dowry blocks, I decided to go with scrappy for mine.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stained glass is a great name - nice quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!