Monday, July 8, 2013

The Wedding Quilt

Here is my story of The Wedding Quilt.

The Wedding Quilt has arrived at its destination and has been delivered to its new owners so now I can show you what I have been working on this past winter. 

DD is getting married next month to a wonderful young man who shares her love for life and is her "happily ever after" fellow. When their engagement was announced, I knew I wanted to give them a quilt to celebrate their special day. I wanted it to be modern and contemporary to match the furnishings in their new home. I decided on a black, white, and grey quilt, my version of modern and trendy!



I started with a wonderful Riley Blake Mystique layer cake and some yardage that I had won from Nicole at 1Choice4Quilting. I added a variety of complimentary fabrics that I had been collecting for this quilt. I wanted the quilt to be both functional and fun so I used black and white hearts, lots of polka dots and flowers, text fabrics with alphabets and words, and even managed to find some coffee themed fabric. My DD and future SIL do love their coffee! 










This quilt is HUGE and seemed to take forever to piece. I chose a solid white fabric for the sashing to make the blocks pop even more. 







I sewed and I sewed and I sewed some more! 




As you can see in some of the pics, The Wedding Quilt is machine quilted.  I had a conversation with myself for quite awhile trying to decide whether I should hand quilt this or have it done by a long arm quilter.  I kept returning to my feeling that a modern, contemporary quilt needed to be machine quilted, so I headed to Sydney an hour and a half away and dropped it off to Angie at Quilting on the Mira

A quilt friend had shown me the Celtic Knot pattern that Angie had done on a quilt of hers and I knew this pattern would be the perfect choice. Living in Cape Breton, we are surrounded by all things Celtic and my daughter's background in Highland Dancing just made this pattern such an obvious choice. I'm so glad I chose the black border too because it shows the quilting so well!


When I picked up the quilt a couple of weeks later, it seemed even bigger!  So off I went to the kitchen table to spread it out and add the binding.



I used the same black with white pindot fabric for the binding...



Do you like the little watch I attached to my Pfaff?  I always like to know what time it is, and I am usually too lazy to look at my wrist. I added this little watch with double-sided tape and it keeps me perfectly on task! Do any sewing machines out there have built in clocks, 'cause I think they should! 

I hand sewed the binding to the back. I did this purposely because I love attaching binding by hand and I love thinking of the recipients of my quilts. For a couple of days I stitched and stitched and thought and thought of the wedding couple! 

When the quilt was finished, I tried it out on our bed...it fits!



Did you notice the shams? I made them from some of the fabrics I used in the quilt. I found the tutorial HERE at Crafty Gemini. 





What is the name of the pattern, you ask?  I used the pattern by "It's Sew Emma" called Tic Tac Toe. The original size is 41" x 41" but I more than doubled the number of blocks and added my borders accordingly to produce this larger version.

The wedding is "Out West" in about a month so rather than fill a suitcase with the quilt when we fly out, I mailed the quilt through Canada Post in a decorative box of red, black, and white and added a custom-made pillowcase for storage of the quilt when not in use. I appliqued the pillowcase with the words "Our Wedding Quilt" made from the black and grey fabrics, and off it went.  It arrived safe and sound and is now in its new home, loved by its new owners!

And that is the story of The Wedding Quilt.



It's a great day for quilting!

39 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post Lesley! The quilt is gorgeous and the way the Celtic quilting ties in is just perfect. Congrat's to the new Mr & Mrs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a delightful surprise from you. I love the color choice as well as the pattern and quilting to just bring it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely story Lesley and so glad it arrived safe and sound and they loved it. Well done, it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully written post to go with an absolutely beautiful wedding quilt. The newly weds will treasure this gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh Lesley ,it's stunning.It will be much loved and treasured.x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lesley it looks fantastic and I am sure they will treasure it forever. Thanks for sharing. Susie

    ReplyDelete
  7. And they lived happily ever after under the warmth of their beautiful wedding quilt.

    Gorgeous job, Lesley. No wonder they loved it. And you're absolutely right...you couldn't have chosen a more appropriate quilting pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lesley that is a stunning quilt. I am not surprised they love it and I'm sure it will be a treasured heirloom in their family in future years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this lovely post should be a part of DD's wedding memories book. It's so nice that so many elements have them in mind. The quilt is gorgeous and is the perfect wedding gift.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Lesley, your quilt is beautiful! It`s a wonderful wedding gift.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's quite a story. The quilt is absolutely stunning and I love, love, love the quilting that was done on it. This is exactly the kind of quilt my daughter would like on her bed. I can't believe that you have been sewing yourself to the moon and back on that quilt AND accomplishing everything else that you do. You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just lovely! Definitely a case of love made visible!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful quilt to gift to your DD and hubby-to-be! They will treasure this forever and I'm sure it will be passed down from generation to generation. I'm sure they know how much time this took and how much love was sewn into it. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous quilt! You did a great job and I'm sure it will be loved for a long time. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just beautiful. And congrat's to the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful quilt! It looks wonderful on the bed! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful present Lesley! I LOVE the quilt!!! Black, gray and white are a perfect modern combination, and your fabrics are absolutely "spot on"! I always like to make shams to match when I gift a bed-sized quilt too. They are the perfect finish. Congrats on the great finish, and also on adding a wonderful new SIL to the family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful quilt,and lovely story!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome Quilt and the fabrics seem so appropriate for your daughter and future SIL.LOve it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Lesley, where to begin? It is just stunning! I so love how you picked each fabric with the couple in mind. And the story of the quilt pattern, perfect. This is a quilt that will be treasured forever. Thank you for sharing the story of The Wedding Quilt! I look forward to a month when I can see some Wedding photo's!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A wonderful story and a wonderful quilt, a true heirloom. Love the pillow cases, they seem to tie everything together. Great job, Leslie.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A beautiful quilt and a lovely story. Congratulations to the happy couple :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow Lesley. What a stunning quilt! You put your love into it which makes it even more beautiful. Just think how cozy they will feel under their quilt and the children that will see it. It is a wonderdul treasure made by the Mother who loves them so very much. I cannot imagine a more perfect gift.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for sharing the wonderful story and the gorgeous quilt. They will treasure it for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a lovely story with a very happy ending , the quilt is fabulous , very modern and gorgeous ! Well done !!! Your daughter and future SIL must be so pleased .

    ReplyDelete
  26. It is beautiful and I am sure she loved it because it is beautiful and made by Mom. You should patent that idea of the clock on the sewing machine. Once you get into the sewing you don't want to look anywhere else. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Absolutely stunning!!! Loved the story, too!!

    Blessings to you and the happy couple! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, Lesley, it is just gorgeous and the story is lovely too. They will love having it and enjoying it for a lifetime. The shams look wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lesley, it's a real beauty! You may call it tic tac toe, but I see it as hugs and kisses. That's the first thing came to mind as soon as I saw the picture after knowing what your title was.

    ReplyDelete
  30. A gorgeous quilt and a wonderfully generous gift!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh...that is soooooooooo awesome..great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a lovely story to go with a beauty of a quilt! Just magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lesley it's simply stunning. What a treasure your daughter now has - and what wonderful memories you have! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a wonderful wedding quilt - I know your daughter will treasure it forever. I would have had a hard time trusting it to the post office - glad it made it there safely!

    ReplyDelete
  35. A lovely story and a lovely quilt. I wouldn't have trusted our post office in Australia, and it would have cost as much as the fabric to post it.glad your daughter and son in law love it. Best wishes for the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow! Your quilt is truly stunning. I love the design you selected and the black and white theme for a modern look. Your work is beautiful and the long arm quilting is a great highlight. The black border is a wonderful frame for this quilt. I can see why the happy couple are thrilled with this quilt - it will be a wonderful keepsake.

    ReplyDelete
  37. A beautiful quilt and a lovely story Lesley. I love all the little print fabrics you have used and also the touch of grey. So pleased it arrived safely and is loved by the recipients. Very exciting to have a wedding coming up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love that quilt and it's clear all the love that you've put into it! Just beautiful! Exciting now the wedding's getting nearer too!

    If you have time at the weekend at all it would be lovely to see you at the Christmas QAL - but quite understand if you can't make it!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. It is a great story and the quilt turned out really wonderful. I'm sure they will treasure it always.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!