Saturday, August 10, 2013

Christmas Quiltalong

Good morning! Today is the second Saturday of the month so it is the start of the Christmas Quiltalong weekend...



We have a tag team of delightful ladies who take turns hosting this QAL. The duo includes Hazel of Hazel's Quilts and Joanna who blogs at Needle, Thread, and Happiness. Today, Joanna will lead us along. Check out their blogs to learn more about it.

There is a very intriguing challenge for this QAL...to make a small Christmas quilt of your choice without using reds and greens! I already have a gazillion Christmas projects on the go, so I'm not going to take the challenge but I still get to link up. The gals say as long as we work on something Christmasy we can still join the party, so that is what I am doing. Thinking of joining us?

About a year ago I purchased the pattern you see below that was designed by Jan Patek. For someone who loves Santas like I do, this project was calling my name. Even the name of the pattern is cute..."Santa Claus Lane"...I wish I lived on Santa Claus Lane!


I thought this would be a perfect "take along" project when travelling. Ages ago, I traced the patterns onto Steam-a-Seam so I'd have them when I needed them. I unrolled them as best I could and sorted them...

Then I found some fabrics I thought would work for the centre block, and started pressing and cutting.



Once I had my shapes ready, I fused them to the black print background and now I have a project ready to travel! 



I will do blanket stitch by hand, using just a couple of strands of floss. I don't want the thread to overwhelm the design. I think Jan designed this quilt for needle-turn applique, but I know my limits and needle turn applique is not my forte! I do love a tiny blanket stitch, though, so I'm all set for awhile with lots to keep me company while travelling or in my quilting chair.

Are you working on a Christmas project this weekend? If so, don't forget to visit Joanna and link up, because we all love to see Christmasy projects! 

It's a great day for quilting!



21 comments:

  1. Lovely project. I know what you mean about needleturn applique . I'll be linking up later. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a very fun Santa quilt.
    I don't do the needle turn, either. Wool is as far as I go with applique! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning, Lesley! I love your Santa project - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Santa Claus Lane project, too. The primitive look doesn't get old, if that makes sense. Thanks for the nice post and for joining in this month again. Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful project to work on. Great idea for something to take with you. And a great idea to complete a UFO as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute project. Will you be using cottons or wool or a combination?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks great Lesley, and very "you".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Santa Claus Lane is gorgeous, I love blanket stitched applique, your colours are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute wall hanging this will be! Although I also adore Santa, that snowman peeking in from the bottom is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's adorable, Lesley. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sure wish some of your ambition would rub off on me, Lesley (wink)! Your little quilt is adorable and the perfect take-along!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Santa Claus Lane and I'm a Snowman girl personally! The pattern is sitting in my "gotta make this soon" tin along with Pine Tree Ridge...and Audra's Iris Garden is not to far away!

    ReplyDelete
  13. if i had the time i would love to do that because i love christmas but between making quilts for my grands and canning i don't

    ReplyDelete
  14. Santa Claus lane is so cute! Hope you share the finished quilt. Love your fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute, cute Lesley! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  16. Every individual block in Santa Claus Lane is so darn cute! This will be a fun project to work on... I like your idea of blanket stitches by hand!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a cute little pattern Lesley! That will keep you happily busy for many hours to come! By the way, I bet Santa loves you too :*D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Totally gorgeous project!!! I love the fabrics you have chosen - happy stitching!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!