Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Grandmother's Choice Blocks are Finished!

49 weeks...49 blocks! I am thrilled to be able to share the news that I have made 49 blocks, and a few more, since the Grandmother's Choice Votes for Women BOW started way back in September 2012. Host and quilt historian Barbara Brachman has provided us with almost a year of history, challenges, and some pretty interesting blocks that she shared with us every Saturday on her blog that she created especially for the BOW. 

Here are the final blocks I made...




47. Substitute Block: Indian Star




45. Aunt Mary's Favorite


48. Fair Play




49. Substitute Block: Ribbon Star




50. Extra block: Art Square



46. Barrister's Block

I did stray a little bit from the designated blocks. I wanted to add a few blocks that I had found on my Block Tool iPad app, so chose a few blocks every once in awhile and substituted accordingly. When I put this group below, a few blocks seemed to get lost. I may have to make another Fair Play using fabrics that have more contrast.



As for the setting for the finished quilt, I have fallen in love with the setting that was used on the cover of Barbara's "Civil War Sampler."



I  love the combination of scrappy sashing and nine patches. You can see a better picture of the full quilt at Barbara's blog HERE. The quilt on the cover was made by Becky Brown and is simply stunning, don't you think? Perhaps I was also influenced just a tad by the nine-patch sashing used in Country Charmer...giggle...

Thankfully, I have no time limit on finishing this quilt because if you take a good look, there are a whole lot of units to put together! I sure have the fabric to do it and I think this will be a wonderful fabric buster for my stash.

'Till next time, it's a great day for quilting!





20 comments:

  1. Well done and so many of them! Looking forward to your setting them in a top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are beautiful blocks. It would take me forever to decide how to arrange 49 blocks. I love reading her books; the things you learn from the historical aspects of quilts is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your finish! I love that setting, too. It will be a gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful achievement Lesley! The blocks are just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your idea. And I like that you are not putting yourself under any pressure although you are pretty good at getting things done. I have the blocks from the Civil War block of the week from the year before. Even though I learned a great deal, I was discouraged by the variations in some of the blocks finished sizes and put it all in a box to think about another day. Still thinking on it. Your work is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you - I got 2/3 of the way and then sent the blocks to Sarah's group to use. I like your idea of how to set them - will really lend to the look and time period.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for finishing! I am close behind you, just a few loose ends to finish up. I like your alternate blocks, especially the Ribbon Star. Maybe I'll make one and find a way to fit it in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow....I'm impressed! That's a lot of blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Twice I started blocks with Barbara B's guidance, and both times I crashed and burned. Your blocks look great. I've been following them along week by week. Looks like a great setting to use.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that's a wonderful accomplishment. Way to go. Here's a high five! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your beautiful blocks are coming along beautifully. I know you're going to design them into a great looking quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've shown us some beautiful blocks, and now I'm looking forward to seeing them all set together, specially if you're using the 9-patch sashing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay!! Well done. They are stellar! How was it sewing on a curve for the Fair Play block!! I must admit, I shy away from curved piecing. It will be lots of fun seeing them all together with your great choice for sashing. Looking forward!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done! Becky's setting would be wonderful, looking forward to seeing your top together with your sashing choices. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sometimes I just need a like button. Love the blocks! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great to see so many blocks done. You are so amazing at keeping up with all the blocks in all the projects you work on.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lesley, I am impressed!!Well done on completing the blocks and I agree - the sashing/setting with the 9-patches is just great. I look forward to seeing these come together some more :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning, Lesley! I read all her posts and really, really tried to start the blocks, but other projects just kept getting in the way. I'm getting jazzed to try to get started again! I can't wait to see yours in the setting you chose!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job! I might borrow your ribbon star block...I seem to be 1 block short?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!