Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Red, Red Baskets

This month we had a plan for the monthly ( or sometimes bi-monthly) block exchange that takes place between myself and Sandie who blogs at Sandra Kaye Designs.  We try to exchange five basket blocks every month or so. We each make ten blocks, sending five and keeping five. The blocks are 4.5" unfinished and have way too many pieces for me to do it quickly, at least in my sewing corner! For some reason, even using "quick" methods, it takes me about an hour to make a pair of blocks from start to finish.

Sandie shared with me that she was going to focus on red baskets this month, so I borrowed her idea and also decided to go red, red, red! This is the batch of ten...



I have lots of reds in my stash so it was an easy goal. I mailed five baskets away and will be expecting Sandies' batch any day now. 

I'm already starting to think of what to do with them. We're going to finish our exchange at 80 blocks...so what to do then?  I'm thinking of maybe making some 12" basket blocks for the centre and using the smaller blocks around the outside. Time will tell...do you have any suggestions?

It's a great day for quilting!



19 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, how much fun is that! 80 blocks! I love yours,next to pink red is my favorite color. I cannot wait to see what you do with your blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those sweet little baskets, and of course they are red!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet little red baskets and so tiny , I like your idea of using a larger block surrounded but the smaller blocks !

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great and fun exchange for you girls! I like them in red too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your baskets and the polka dot backgrounds. I like your idea, but I don't think you'll know until you lay them out and see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are just darling. I love the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely, good to see you again last week! How was the wedding?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think anything you do with these cute little baskets will be wonderful! How fun to share the baskets with a friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are wonderful all layed out like that:):) ....sadly..I'm not done yet...I have a house upside down...it took me days to find the cords to my machines.... but, I found them and I am almost finished...I have two blocks left...I hope to finish them tomorrow:):) HUGS- Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  10. No suggestions from me but I know that you'll come up with something gorgeous, my friend. I said no suggestions but something on point just popped into my head. I love basket block quilts set on point.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't go wrong with baskets that will lead to a red and white quilt! I'm with Kaaren... I like basket blocks set on point. I'm sure you will have fun playing with different settings for these cute mini's!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The baskets are lovely, how about a center applique block surrounded by the baskets.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not sure but it will be great to see them all together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a fun idea. And I do love the choice of red. Looking forward to seeing what you do decide to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Leslie...your choice of colours...that is mine too...your baskets each one filled with so much you...bravo my dear...looking forward to the completed quilt

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!