Saturday, August 31, 2013

September Country Charmer QAL Update

I can't believe we are doing the September CC update already! I'm a little early posting as I'm working at the quilt shop tomorrow.


What does a quilter do when her Country Charmer quilt top is far, far away in the hands of lovely Lynn, CC quilt designer, expert long arm quilter, terrific instructor and awesome quilt blogger at Sew'n Wild Oaks? Why, she starts another Country Charmer quilt of course! (and promises to shorten her sentences from now on...)

If you recall, I made a batch of sashing and 9-patches for my CC quilt but when I arranged them around my CC scrappy blocks, it just wasn't singing to me. I found the sashing fabrics just didn't coordinate enough with the variety of colours and fabrics in my blocks for my liking. So I made a new set and used them for my "first" CC quilt which you can see HERE.  The other day, I dug out the "old" batch of units and had a good long look at them. 


Then I had another long look through my fabrics and decided to make a somewhat coordinated blue, tan, and cream CC quilt, making the blocks using some of the same fabrics from the sashing and adding a few from my stash. I cut fabrics for one block to test it out and liked what I saw...


And then, because I am so indecisive (which you all know by now), I arranged some of the sashing and 9-patches around the block, and I still liked what I saw...


After further peeks, though, I found the inside stars a little too boring...so I auditioned a few different fabrics for that star. I started with a tan print...



Then I tried a blue, but the inside star seemed to get lost with the other blues...



Finally, I selected a cream and blue reproduction print and liked the way the inside star now popped. So I sewed it all together...



I really liked what I saw this time so I arranged the sashings and 4-patches around it, and still liked what I saw...



So now I am ready...I will continue to sew the CC blocks using the fabrics from this block and some day will have a coordinated tan, blue, and cream quilt! But remember, this is a lazy daisy, easy peasy, no stress QAL, so I`m going to take my time.

If you have made a CC quilt, are making one, or are ready to start one and have chosen your fabrics, link up here with your blog post so we can share our progress.  We also have a Flick page HERE for inspiration and can also be used to post pictures if you don`t have a blog. The CC parade is in November which I guess is around the corner now...

Thank you for coming by, and as always, thanks to the lovely Lynn for providing such an awesome quilt design. Have you seen Lynn's latest pattern "Harvest of Hope"?  I borrowed the picture below from her blog...I adore those pieced pumpkins! The pattern is available HERE.



It's a great day for quilting!





18 comments:

  1. I do love this color combination. You made a good call on the center star, too. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the combination you chose. Gotta love those magical stashes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, love the new CC - my kind of color mix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this color combination Lesley , very stunning !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree, great choices you've made here! It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That color combination is really stunning. It will make a gorgeous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's beautiful Lesley. Will you be using the same fabrics for every block?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely. Blue and beige (or cream) is one of my favorite color combinations. Your quilt is going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous colour combination!! Man, I love this pattern!!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty fantastic!! One of my favorite color combos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great way to use all those ready made sashing pieces. I do enjoy seeing how you test out your different fabrics. Always an interesting process.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great, I love the country charmer quilt, look forward to seeing your when it comes back!
    Happy Labour Dayx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed seeing how you arrived at your final block... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh boy, I think I'm going to have to join in on this one, just LOVE those blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I too enjoyed seeing your work in progress and how you decided on your final quilt...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love, love these colors! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your blocks and the colors. It's a great pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's always fun to see what you create...this color combination and block is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!