Saturday, September 14, 2013

Darlene's Mystery Finish and the September Christmas QAL

Phew, I'm finally ready to link up at Hazel's Quilts for the Christmas QAL weekend! 



Before I joined the Christmas party this weekend, though, I had promised myself I would finish sewing the braided border for Darlene's Mystery quilt...so this morning that is what I did. Once the braids were the correct length, I folded the strips in half lengthwise, lined up the tips to the same height, and removed the tips, cutting 2 3/4" from the centre fold. It seemed to work pretty well for me resulting a 5.5" border.


I sewed the borders on very carefully trying not to stretch them and making sure the braids travelled the correct way around the quilt.  

Then I took a picture of the finished quilt top on a very damp and "leafy" deck under a very damp and dark sky...


Darlene's Mystery Quilt is a finish...yay me! Yay Darlene, who blogs at Quilts by Darlene. She offered this free QAL, starting in January. Every new "reveal" inspired me to push the envelope further. All those interesting borders resulted in a beautiful, large quilt that I love! It is about 88" x 98".  The best things is that I made it using only scraps and fabrics from my stash. Now, I'm taking a deep breath, am crossing this UFO off my list, and I'm ready to "Sew Christmas!" 

Hazel and Joanne at Needle, Thread, Happiness take turns hosting the Christmas QAL and this month we're at Hazel's. I heard a rumour about biscuits being served, but I haven't seen any evidence yet! Some people are making the challenge quilt, but I'm choosing to sew along on my Christmas UFO's. Last time I made some progress on my Christmas dresdens, so off I went to my sewing corner, pulled out my tote, opened the cover and had a peek at the finished plates and some extra fabric.


Ooh, I love Christmas...these fabrics are just the thing to sew with on a dreary, dark, day. I had cut all my fan pieces way back when, so it's a perfect project to grab and start sewing.

I spread out some piles and I'm set to go...

I'm linking up with the gals HERE so make sure you visit them for some inspiration and link up too if you're working on a Christmas project sometime this weekend.

Before I go, if you don't know already, I am also hosting a giveaway for the Canadian online and brick and mortar shop, Sew Sisters Quilt Shop. It's a perfect way to promote and celebrate their huge birthday sale that is being held on September 17. You can read all about the giveaway and the sale by visiting my previous post HERE .If you want to be entered in the draw, make sure you leave your comment on that particular post.

It's a great day for sewing and you know where I'll be!



28 comments:

  1. That big quilt turned out so nice. I am tempted to start on one. I do like Dresden plates. Fans too. Looks like there are a lot of us spending time in the sewing room today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a wonderful quilt, Lesley - well done with sticking with it even when it wasn't in your comfort zone! Love the braid borders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!!!!!!! That mystery quilt is spectacular!! WOW!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the quilt with the braided border!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Regardless of the damp and dark, that quilt photographed beautifully. I like every row of the design. Nice work, Lesley, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The braided border looks great and I love the dresden's x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that braided border is gorgeous. I know those stretchy braids can be tricky. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your awesome braid border finishes off your awesome quilt. It's a ton of work but so worth it. Congrats on an amazing finish. Your Christmas dresdens are wonderful. I am seriously trying to avoid starting anything Christmas. I will love vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Lesley...gosh! Just...Wow! I love your mystery quilt...so homey...so warm...you ARE The Cuddle Quilter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just love that braided border on your mystery quilt ! Congratulations on a great finish !

    Those Christmas Dresden's are the cutest !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome - what a wonderful flimsy finish, Lesley!! Good on you with your discipline, now you are onto those gorgeous dresdens with a clear conscience!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your big quilt, Lesley. The borders are awesome! It really makes a striking quilt. I love the Dresdens,too. That is my favorite quilt block so I love seeing the blocks done in all colors and fabrics. I think I like the Christmas fabrics more than any I have seen. I may just have to put this on my to-do list. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beauties Lesley, both are beauties! That is quite the mystery quilt you have built. And big too. Are you going to hand quilt it? I'm all for Christmas in September. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the braided border, and it's given me an idea! As for the Dresdens, well they're making me think I want to make some too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your quilt is gorgeous, I hope Darlene does another mystery quilt.
    I have bought a Dresden template but not used it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your mystery quilt turned out just fabulous and I can't wait to see what you are doing with the dresdens.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lesley, your quilt turned out beautifully! You must be so proud of yourself! Way to go! Looks like you're gonna have some more fun with those yummy Christmas fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That quilt is just amazing, Lesley. I love the scrappy quilts best of all.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ohhhhh...I SO NEED to make that mystery quilt!!!! I wonder if the pattern is still up. Love the dresden blocks. They are so classic.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lesley , your quilt looks just amazing , give yourself a big pat on the back , terrific job ! Have fun with the dresdans , they will make a great quilt !

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lesley it turned out beautiful. Also the Christmas Dresdens are truly gorgeous. Not quite ready to make anything Christmasy yet.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The braids in the borders do look wonderful. This is one amazing quilt. And to think it all came from scraps makes it even better. Well done for sticking with it - definitely worth it!
    Have fun with you Christmas dresdens. Very nice fabric, I see!
    From your comments I gather the weather has made a change to cooler and darker days. Good to be inside stitching in that case!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I soooooooooo love the BOM!!! You did a wonderful job!!! I have a hard time with mystery quilts...they make me nervous. If I could see the end..then I would make it...LOL!!!!! Its just wonderful. I will work on Christmas when I get back...I leave in 6 days!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations on your finish!! It is just beautiful, especially in person!! It was a lot of hard work and you exercised incredible stick-to-iteness to make it a happening quilt! Have lots and lots of fun working on your Christmas Dresdens!! Can't wait to see them finished, too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The mystery quilt is gorgeous! Congrats on the flimsy finish... can't wait to see it quilted! I love Dresden blocks made with Christmas fabric... perfect for a festive season!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, very impressive quilt top. So much work involved. Great job. Enjoy looking at the Christmas project too; and seeing its progress in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow. that is a beautiful quilt top. Your piecing is exceptional.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!