Thursday, September 5, 2013

Darlene's Mystery Quilt Part 6

Since I returned from my daughter's wedding/adventures out West, I have been reintroducing myself to my sewing corner and I am determined to stay there until I finish Darlene's Mystery quilt! 

Fellow Nova Scotian blogger Darlene, who blogs at Quilts by Darlene, offered us a free 7-part Mystery Quiltalong. She started us off in January with a scrappy snowball centre and I was hooked! The final instructions were published on her blog in early August. I followed along pretty faithfully 'till the summer, and then because I was a little busy (!), I put the quilt on hold until I could devote some more time to it. 

Now I'm back and ready to roll! I do leave my sewing corner to eat and sleep and shop and visit and socialize and do some hand quilting, but when I'm not doing any of that, I am sewing, sewing, sewing! My sewing time has paid off...I have finished Part 6!


Part 6 included two narrow borders, a checkerboard, and a 3.5" border. This entire quilt has been made from my very scrappy stash. I keep strips of fabrics in these labeled coffee cans...


When it's time to sew, I dump out the scraps on my ironing board... 


I grab my iron, and and in no time at all, I have a variety of strips ready to cut.


I tried to stay with basic colours-reds, browns, blues, golds, and greens, with a variety of  lights that I used for the checkerboards. 


This quilt is the largest quilt I have ever made! Right now, without the final borders, the quilt is about 80" x 90". It should easily cover a queen bed when I finish the 5.5" borders.

I have made a pretty good start on the final border in Part 7. The braided borders are made using 2"x5" units...so I went back to my scraps and cut 320 little pieces, color coordinating them just a tad!.


I am on my third day of sewing the braids together.I am sewing all four lengths at the same time, with a "leader and ender" layer cake quilt being pieced in between. Will tell you more about that at a later date! Let's get back to the braids...three days later and I now have approximately 200" of braids done, which means I am a little over half done. 


The braids are really fun to sew, not hard at all, so I will continue to sew them and watch movies on my iPad at the same time. 


I am getting so close to the finish!  This is a quilt that I am so proud of...one that I would never have attempted without Darlene dividing it up in little segments for us.  Thanks so much, Darlene, hopefully I'll have a finish in the next week or two. Then I'll have to figure out how to get it machine quilted...this one will not be hand quilted because it would take me a decade to do it! 

To the lovely lady from Ontario who reads my blog...thank you for visiting the Artisans Collective shop in July and asking for me! I missed your visit on that day, July 19, but was thrilled to hear that someone was in to see me. Maybe you'll be back to visit next year?

Before I go, would you please join me in sending prayers and positive thoughts for a quick recovery to Nova Scotian blog friend Kaaren? Kaaren blogs at The Painted Quilt and shared her "More Lemons" story HERE. Please visit her and leave a comment if you can. She has a lot of time on her hands while she is recovering and we sure want her well as soon as possible so she can continue to amaze us with her prolific quilting and amazing projects. Be well, Kaaren!

It's a great day for quilting!

20 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh is that ever a stunning quilt! I looooooove it!!!

    Sending lots of light, love and prayers to Kaaren. She has been through so much.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is a beauty, big and beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That quilt is just gorgeous! Welcome back to the sewing room.

    I have been praying for Kaaren. She has had some tough times lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mystery quilt is beautiful! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely job on the Mystery quilt. I have had Kaaren in my thoughts/prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great quilt love the colors and the blocks. You are so organized!!! love the braids on the clothes line and just a little breeze!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Lesley!! It is looking great!!~! Good luck for uninterrupted braid sewing :-) I use old honey buckets for my scraps... your coffee tubs look about as big!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Each time you add a border, that quilt gets prettier! And thanks for your coffee can idea for scraps. I've been putting them all in one box, and it's stuffed! I like the idea of cutting them into strips, so they are ready to go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow , it is beautiful Lesley and a lot of sewing ! Keep up the great work . I am keeping Kaaren in my thoughts and pray she has a speedy recovery .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Lesley, your quilt looks awesome! And you'll be done in no time! I'm hoping to get in to see Kaaren tomorrow! We had our guild meeting tonight, sure missed her!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's stunning, Lesley.

    I continue to sending Kaaren lots of healing thoughts and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks absolutly beautiful your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is really beautiful Lesley!! Looks like you are having fun with your braids!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a beautiful quilt with so many different elements to the design. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your post is very inspiring Lesley. Your quilt is beautiful and your borders are over the top gorgeous! This is going to be a beauty.....all 80 x 90 inches!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't believe you made that beautiful quilt from scraps. I know I don't have that many.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am totally in love with this quilt Lesley!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! Im very impressed:):) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  18. You sure are one determined lady. It is great to see you quilt growing with all your hard work. Love your storage idea using the coffee containers.
    Sorry I am late with my comment. I have been out of action for a week so am doing lots of catching up now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your quilt is awesome! Quite an undertaking and I know you will be very happy with it - and proud for finishing your largest quilt! Mystery quilts are fun - I've only done one - and you picked a great one to follow. Having sections broken down is not as intimidating. The one I did wasn't nearly as complicated as yours.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!