Wednesday, October 16, 2013

A Perfect Project

I don't like Halloween. There, I've said it, I've announced it to the world. Did I love it as a child? Probably, in fact, I'm sure I did. Did I love Halloween when the kids were younger? Of course I did, making costumes for them like Raggedy Ann and Andy, Bert and Ernie, princesses and pirates, and so on and so forth. 

I liked that part of Halloween, the kids so excited to go trick or treating. I would stay home while Woodworker Hubby, dressed in costume too, took them around the neighbourhood with their treat bags filled to the brim in no time. I loved handing out the treats to the small ones who came to the door, many dressed as clowns, bunnies, and their favorite story book characters. But please don't knock on my door dressed like a vampire, or a zombie, or a creature that is intended to scare me. Mmm, I think I just realized why I don't like Halloween...it is too scary!

You might see where I am going with this. I don't do much decorating  for Halloween. I prefer to decorate for the Fall, and let Halloween come and go as quickly as possible. But when I saw the pattern for the "Not-So-Spooky" Table Runner by Kimberbell Designs, you could say it had my name on it. It was a perfect project for someone who doesn't like Halloween! After all, how scary could a pumpkin and a spider be? 

Have a look. 

I made this tablerunner for my daughter and included some matching towels and a package of serviettes.




The instructions for the towels are included with the tablerunner pattern, though I did amend them a little. She has already received her package so I can show the pictures now. I love the variation in the size of the strips of fabric and adore the backing fabric...you may be able to see a little of it here.


I used the Wonder Under method of applique and machine stitched the spiders and pumpkins using a matching thread. Although the pattern called for ricrack, I used a narrow strip of fabric instead. 

I decided to make the runner come to life a little by quilting it by machine...a lot! I did everything from crosshatching, stitch in the ditch, straight lines in a variety of widths, and I even tried some echo stitching.




I am thinking ahead of myself, but you all know how much I love Christmas. Can't you just picture this runner done in Christmas fabrics with ornaments and stars instead of spiders and pumpkins? Thank you, Kim at Kimberbell for an awesome design. Kim's web site is full of wonderful projects and ideas. Check out her Fall page HERE.

If you love Halloween, or even if you don't, you're bound to see some creative projects next week when the Wicked Blog Hop starts on Tuesday, October 22 and runs through to October 31. Host Madame Samm at Sew We Quilt and cheerleader/host Wicked Wendy at Why Not Qwilt are determined to keep the cauldron boiling in blogland. I'll be watching from afar, probably hiding behind my sewing machine...



It's a great day for quilting!

36 comments:

  1. I love this table runner....Spiders and all! I love the fun side do Halloween and this is just sew perfect! The kwilting is great! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the runner! I should make one of those for my neighbor...she HATES spiders! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute set to send to your daughter. Bet she loved it a lot. The runner is perfect and a nice touch with the towels. Your machine quilting is wonderful. I am not a fan of Hallowe'en either. I love it the most when it is over.( mostly because my birthday is the next day!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute runner and what a sweet set to gift. I don't like Halloween either and only semi-decorate for the fall. We are too far outside of town and set way back in so don't get trick or treaters. ANd our town did away with village treating (since Irene) and just do a main street 'trunk or treat' where area shops hand out candy for about an hour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute Lesley! I love the strips too~ and your quilting is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soooooo cute!! You did a fantastic job! I bet your daughter loves them. Who wouldn't?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I agree, that is cute, I actually like spiders! You did a wonderful job on the quilting. Thanks for the link, I am heading over to take a peek.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute runner set; the pumpkin and spider look sweet. I like friendly Halloween images, not scary ones. No bloodshot eyeballs in green slimy drinks for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look great Lesley, I bet Alison was thrilled with them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How Cute is this ! Love the table runner with the spider & pumpkins ! I agree I decorate for fall now that the kids are grown & gone

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute runner! I like the cuter stuff rather than the scary stuff too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We don't' celebrate Halloween in Australia but there seems to be a commercial push over the last couple of years to involve us in it. Does nothing for this old grouch I am afraid. I think your table runner is perfect and so beautifully sewn.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nil. That's how much I decorate for Hallowe'en. I don't much like it either. Yes, I did like it as a child and when my children were little it was fun but I never liked shelling out. We don't really get that many children here since there are no houses across the street. I put up with it and my children still dress up and go to parties and they are all over 25 (most over 30.) One day they will get married (I hope) and have children (I pray.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love everything about this project!!! Soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute Lesley! I too, like the variation of the stripes of fabric... and you are so right! This pattern would be adorable as a Christmas runner! Great quilting too... love your echo effect!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The only Halloween decoration I dislike is spiders, if they look too real. But cute ones I love and yours is a cute one. That's an adorable runner!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a cute runner. I just love the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A very nice job on your spooky runner!I made a couple of Halloween quilts myself last fall, for charity.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think we share similar Halloween feelings. And as for scary movies--forget it! My idea of a Halloween show is Disney's Blackbeard's Ghost.
    It is a cute runner, isn't it? Kim's twin sister has a quilt shop here and they feature lots of Kim's designs. Sometimes in the shop I am not certain which one is talking to me. : )
    I hope you make it in the Christmas fabrics. Sounds very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  20. We don't generally celebrate Halloween, but have noticed a lot more in the shops than usual this year. Table runner looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely table runner. And I have to agree that this design will lend itself well to many fabrics. Great to see all your machine quilting as well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. We celebrate Guy Fawkes at the beg of November but in New Zealand Halloween has only just started happening over the these last few years. I do love your compromise! Fun quilting on your runner - it's perfect for enhancing it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cute, cute, cute!! Halloween isn't one of my favorites, either. It's totally different now than when we were kiddos. But it does make for some fun crafting! Delightfully written post, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am not a Halloween fan either but I sure love that runner and really great quilting , I bet your daughter was thrilled !

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love Halloween and I love your spider runner! Great job on the piecing and the quilting.....Boo!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm not a fan of Halloween either (although I don't mind seeing my grands dressed up in their costumes), and I certainly don't decorate for it (I'll decorate for fall). But I love that spider runner!! And I agree ... doing it in Christmas colors with ornaments and stars would be adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm not a Halloween fan either - but your little table runner is cute - spiders are good creatures!! A Christmas one would be perfect!!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great runner! I love the fabrics that you used too. I have always been a fan of Halloween. I love seeing what the children come up with for costumes. The ones I don't care for are the "big" kids who come with no costume and expect goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the runner. I enjoy Halloween more now that the kids are older. The boys have peanut allergies, so we create treat bags for them, and they enjoy all of the little knick knack decorations that we put up.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Too cute Lesley! I'm like you and don't do much for Halloween, but this is such a darling project! Hope you enjoy your quilt show tomorrow - take lots of pictures for us!

    ReplyDelete
  31. For a person who professes to not like Halloween, you sure did a wonderful job on the runner and towels! The fabrics you used are perfect and I'm sure that Alison will love them just as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete
  32. In love with that spider. :) blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm so sorry that you don't like Halloween. I've always loved it, probably because I can act more like a kid and no one cares. The runner is just adorable and if your daughter ever tires of it, she can send it my way.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What an awesome Halloween runner, and for someone who doesn't care for Halloween you did great! That echo quilting is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!