Monday, October 21, 2013

Country Charmer, Great Quilts, and Great Friends

Country Charmer Update:  Lynn at Sew'n Wild Oaks has allowed me to virtually visit my CC quilt in California. She has already started the quilting and my little quilt is going from, in my mind, a pretty little quilt, to a "stunning" quilt with Lynn's fabulous quilting. I borrowed a few pictures from her blog to show you, but please visit her HERE and HERE for more pictures and quilt inspiration. That lady never stops inspiring me! 



On the weekend, Woodworker Hubby and I drove to Northern Cape Breton, about two hours from here, to attend a quilt show in Belle Cote, a small rural community in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. The guild may be small but the talent is mighty. Here is a peek at just some of the treasures we saw, with a few closeups added for good measure.





































They also had a selection of seasonal quilts...


Aurea's Quilt




and some smaller quilts...




Aurea' Quilt


Aurea's Quilt





Lots of inspiration here! My friend, Aurea, made a few of the smaller quilts. They are so sweet! WH and I had a wonderful day meeting up with Aurea, her hubby, and another quilty friend and her hubby who joined us for the day. 

I received some little treasures recently from my blog friends to help me celebrate my birthday.Karen who blogs at KaHolly, sent me this sweet little birthday cupcake pot holder and a couple of precious Thanksgiving note cards. She is one talented lady!  



Karen used some of the Round Robin fabrics designed by Kathy Schmitz that I had gifted to Karen from my stash. I was more than pleasantly surprised to receive them back in this little gift. What a sweet set I now have for my kitchen! 


Another treasure that was "Birthday Gifted" to me was this gorgeous little Santa candle mat! 


Sheila who blogs at Sheila's Quilt World had chosen the kit during the fabric exchange we had on our Nova Scotian Blogger Quartet road trip. You can read all about it HERE. I had fallen in love with the little Santa, but once the kit came home with me, I just kept putting it off, and putting it off, until I finally gave it away to a good home! Well, Miss Sheila, who can do absolutely anything with cotton and wool, put it together in no time flat and showed the finished project along with some other woolen wonders HERE. Well, imagine my surprise when she gifted it back to me! Along with one of her postcards and the most adorable book mark...


A good friend, who was actually one of the first people to introduce me to quilting many years ago, arrived on my special day with this little woolen runner she created just for me. I am so lucky to have such wonderful friends...


Thank you to everyone for their wonderful comments and lovely gifts.You sure make a gal feel special!

Now to give you a little laugh. Fall has come to Cape Breton with cooler days and cooler nights. The local golf course is now closed for the season but WH and I managed to get out for one last chance last week to swing the clubs. Here I am before I made my hole-in-one, and if you believe that, I have some land to sell you!


The golf shoes have been put away and the birthday skates from WH have been put to the test. At least three days a week, this winter, WH and I will go walking at the local Civic Centre, followed by an hour of skating, and maybe lunch out. What a life!


There, are you through giggling! Aren't I brave to show you a picture of me perched precariously on my new skates. Is that a grimace or a smile? Don't you love my helmet? Compliments of WH's glory days in the rink! Now you know what I do when I am not in my sewing corner. What do you do when you are not sewing or quilting?

It's a great day for quilting!

29 comments:

  1. The quilt show in Northern Cape Breton looks fabulous! What a talented group. All of the presents you received for your birthday are treasures. Happy belated birthday Lesley. The views from the golf course are amazing. I would spend all of my time looking at the views and not keep my eye on the ball. Now the skates......I would need more than just a helmet. I would need full body armor, knee braces, back brace....you name it! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a life, indeed. I'm not laughing, but I'm envious. I loved ice skating, outdoors mind you, as a kid and still have my skates. You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I'm drooling here over all the beautiful quilts a yours especially!

    You are so blessed with such sweet friends. Treasure them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been watching the progress on your quilt , simply amazing ! Wow that was quite a show in the highlands ,lots of incredible talent in those hills . Good for you getting out skating , I love skating but now I am afraid of falling and breaking a hip . Love the gift from Karen , so sweet just like her . Hugs Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt is turning into a lovely masterpiece! I'm so green with envy that you've been to a quilt show, gone golfing, and now you're going to be ice skating. I'll have to think of something exciting to do once I'm through moving

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely quilts and thank you for sharing the show with us. I think it is wonderful that you can golf and skate - very envious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, wow! Your quilt top flimsy was gorgeous, but it's going to be a beauty of quilty goodness when it returns to you. What a transformation it is taking on. I can't believe all those husbands go to a quilt show. What's that secret? I have to admit I did laugh, but only because of the modern day helmet. My sister and I used to go skating every weekend back in the day, and the only helmets in sight were at the hockey games. LOL I'm glad to see you are a safety girl. Keep having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The quilting looks fabulous! It's fun to see it in the process of being quilted.

    Talent abounds with all of those beautiful quilts. That would be a fun show to see in person.

    I think I would choose golf over the skates. LOL

    Sheila did a great job on the piece. She is very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous quilts!! Love the quilting going down on your quilt :) When I'm not quilting, I like to ride...my horse or motorcycle!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have always loved your Country Charmer quilt. The quilting job is making it stunning!
    The quilt show was very enjoyable. Some real beauties there.
    You were treated well on your birthday. What lovely gifts for a lovely woman--even in a helmet. : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. NS has some fab quilters! Love the Santa and the reindeer. I took a wool class last year and that was one of the choices. I went with easy though and did the pumpkins. I have never been able to ice skate, so I am envious that is something I just could not really get. I can't wait to see how Lynn completes your quilt, she does such wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always nice to read your blog Lesley. Happy Birthday to you. Hope you did something fun. I don't have any more and I'm thrilled about that. Your quilt is going to be stunning. You will treasure it for sure. I love how she quilts around the center piece and you are going to be thrilled when it's finished . I will get back to mine sometime in the spring. We are moving and it will take us through December. I hate to leave this beautiful home but our daughter is selling. I've been selling some of my fabric on ebay and buying a few newer pieces. I visited my grandkids in Texas this summer and I will be going back in December. Life is good. I'm enjoying my chickens, something to love, I guess. I have a new blog called
    http://lovingmyretirementlife.blogspot.com because I wanted it to be about my interests including the chickens. Sewing has taken a back seat right now but I will get back to it this next year. Have a wonderful and warm winter. I may not always comment but I do heartily enjoy your blog.
    Judy
    jlblvn@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been following Lynn's blog and saw your gorgeous quilt. Cannot wait to see it all. There looks like there was a lot of inspiration at the show Do you have the name of the 15 quilt picture it is gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! You must be over the moon with how your CC is looking. I hope you enter it in a show because I am sure it will take first prize. Your trip to the quilt show sounds like a wonderful time. Some gorgeous quilts there. I am going to try skating on the Oval this year. That should be a hoot! I haven't been on skates for a few decades.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy BELATED!! So glad you were spoiled rotten!! haha Love the show...what talented quilters on your side of the country!! Love all the show and tell!! Must go back for another look-see!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  16. So many beautiful, inspiring quilts from the show. Thanks for sharing. I love to go ice-skating. I received new skates for my birthday two years ago, replacing my old ones that were about 40 years old. I can't wait until our local rink is open again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's definitely going to be a family heirloom!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You must be so happy with how your quilt is turning out. Absolutely stunning!!

    Thanks for sharing the pics from the quilt show. Those ladies have a lot of talent.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So many amazing quilts! Thank you so much for sharing! Happy late birthday! I used to love to skate!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really enjoyed following your progress on the Country Charmer. It turned out to be a gorgeous quilt. I can't believe how wonderful it looks with Lynn's quilting.
    With all of the snow and ice in Canada, I'm surprised no one has invented golfing on skates. It would probably be as popular as curling. I'm jealous that I never mastered the art of skating.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow. All that quilty inspiration! Delicious.

    Aw, such lovely gifts, Lesley. A belated Happy Birthday to you!

    Wahoo! I love skating. Not only is it good exercise but it's an activity you can do while socializing. :o) Looking good on your new skates. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your CC quilt is looking wonderful. I am looking forward to seeing it finished. Bet you can't wait! That's a great display of quilts. I really like the trees made with triangles.
    You look like you are ready for lots of fun with your skating!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You must be counting the days until your quilted Country Charmer arrives at your door! It's looking mighty fine!
    Thanks for sharing the quilts from the show... love the scrappy pineapple block quilt!
    I miss the days of slapping on snow skis and hitting the gentler ski slopes in Colorado... my excuse is living in the relatively flat state of Iowa. You look very comfortable with a golf club in your hand... and ice skates on your feet... and very stylish in the helmet! Happy belated birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful eye candy!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  25. So many gorgeous things to see in this post! What lovely gifts your friends gave you - very special indeed. And thank you for sharing all the quilts from the show - some real beauties there and also great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my what a beautiful CC quilt! I enjoyed traveling through your writings. I can say that I will look into all the blogs you shared. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my what a beautiful CC quilt! I enjoyed traveling through your writings. I can say that I will look into all the blogs you shared. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ha! I never saw this post. Must be because I was traveling. Don't know why, but I had an urge to scroll through some of your archived posts to see all your pretties. Lesley, you have made some amazing quilts!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!