Saturday, October 12, 2013

It's Christmas QAL Weekend


It is also Thanksgiving in Canada, so I don't have a lot of time to sew this weekend. I'm pretty busy baking, cooking, and watching movies with the family. In fact, we're ready to watch another so I'll type fast! 

Last month the Christmas QAL was hosted by Hazel who blogs at Hazel's Quilts. She entertained us with sewing, stories, contests, and even baking! I happened to be the winner of one of her contests and lookie see what arrived in the mail all the way from the UK just for me...




Thank you, Hazel. I inhaled the scrumptious cookie and have the tissues ready for emergencies!

This weekend, the QAL is being hosted by Jolly Joanne at Needle, Thread and Happiness. I knew I'd be too busy to sew along with my Christmas QAL friends, so I cheated  prepared a few things in advance.I have several Christmas projects in the works but decided to focus on my Christmas Dresden quilt. It would be so great to have this top made this week so I could work on my other projects!  
You may or may not remember what I'm talking about. I am making this quilt thanks to the free pattern by Moda HERE. I am using Christmas fabrics I had in my stash, but this is what it would look like using Double Chocolate fabric by Three Sisters.



My nine dresdens have all been finished except for the centres so this week I made the centres using the red fabric in the Sentiments line by Three Sisters. For my background fabric, I decided to actually shop from a real store instead of my stash and found what I think is the perfect background fabric. It is Kate Spain's "Snowflakes in Marshmallow" which I purchased from Sew Sisters Quilt Shop. When I looked today, it appears they are sold out...must be a popular fabric!  Update: I made an error...the background fabric is actually 2217 Sugar 'n Spice by Glenna Hailey and Maywood Studio. I had asked the quilt shop to send me something comparible if they were sold out and they sent this scrumptious fabric instead. I checked the selvedge today so I know this to be true...giggle! I adore it!

Here is my first block ready to applique. My Pfaff does a beautiful little blanket stitch so I think that is what I will use to do the applique. 




In addition to appliqueing the nine blocks, I have about two hundred blades to sew together for the pieced borders. I took them to the shop on Wednesday and managed to get a few strips sewn together. 



I originally organized them according to colour, but then ended up just pulling colours randomly.



Before long, I had a few sections made...



and even took some time to press as I sewed along.



I will link up for some Christmas inspiration at Joanne's and in between turkey will read some blogs, make some comments, answer some emails, and maybe start the applique? Would love to have you join us to share your Christmasy projects. For more information, read all about it and link up HERE and then go to Joanne's home page HERE to read the updates.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends!

It's a great day for quilting!

17 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving. I'm curious as to which movies you are watching. Miracle on 34th Street and Home Alone are what I love to see on our Thanksgiving. Your Dresden is looking gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving . Enjoy your time with your family and the sewing can wait. Love the dresdans , this will be a very beautiful quilt !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Family is always first - Happy Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the link to the pattern, Lesley. Using blades for the border is a fresh idea, compared to other borders I see. Nice group of Christmas fabrics you're using for your blocks.
    Enjoy your family time. Definitely--family comes first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt is going to be a beauty! Enjoy your family time, and Happy Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Thanksgiving.

    I love your dresden plates and really look forward to seeing the quilt all finished.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You just may have to put a Dresden plate turkey as a label.

    Thanks for the well wishes and enjoy your weekend with family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you have had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend. The Christmas dresdens are looking very festive. Love the name of the background fabric you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Thanksgiving Lesley and what wonderful projects! Congrats on your win also!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Lesley!! Your Christmas quilt is going to be stunning!!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the Dresden,can't wait to see more of this with the blade border.
    A very happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love it! It is a lot of work and I cannot wait to see it finished.
    Happy thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Thanksgiving. Love your dresden. I see a bunch of fabrics in there that I have in my stash.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Thanksgiving Canada!!! Wow... love your Christmas Dresden... can't wait to see more of your progress on it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely family comes first. Happy Thanksgiving to you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are of like minds. I've been working on Dresden Plates all weekend, too!! Not Christmassy, though. Yours is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!