Friday, October 11, 2013

Nabby's Dowry

Thank you, Pam Buda, quilt and fabric designer who blogs at Heartspun Quilts. You did it again! You hosted another free sew along on your blog with excellent results! Meet my version of "Nabby's Dowry".


Pam used an assortment of colours in her scrappy quilt, but I chose to use almost every black, white, and cream fabric I could find in my stash, adding a touch of red in some of the background prints. I changed the pattern just a tad by adding some cornerstones to surround the checkered fabric.

I was thrilled with the finished top and started posing it around the house. Over the couch...


and in my quilting chair, where it will reside for quite awhile while I hand quilt it.

I was so excited with this finish, I practically ran over Woodworker Hubby in the hall when he returned from his golf day to show him Nabby's Dowry. His overall response was wonderful, just what I had hoped for. I have always insisted I make what I like because I like it, but it is always a bonus when someone else likes it too! Anyway, after his initial response, his eyes went immediately to the centre block and his fingers pointed out a problem.


Do you see what he saw?  Do you see that the top corner HSTs do not match the bottom corner HSTs? Yep, I messed up...in the very centre block of this "finished" quilt top. Sometimes I "make do", I let it go, but I just couldn't let this go. My eyes kept returning to the error, so with my well-used seam ripper in hand, I went to my quilting chair. A few hours later, I was so glad I did.

Meet the new and improved centre block...


I am so glad I redid that block. I think the entire quilt looks much better now.

I took the flimsy with me on my final day to work at the Artisans Collective shop at the Port Hastings Museum. The shop is closing up in the next couple of weeks, but we will reopen for a couple of weekends in December.  While there, I managed to take a few pics of new and improved Nabby...


I don't think I would use it as a tablecloth, but maybe if I covered it in plastic?

Once it is sandwiched, wouldn't it be lovely to sit in this bright yellow Adirondack chair to do my quilting...



Pam is having an "Airing of the Quilts"...a parade of the Nabby's Dowry quilts on her blog. If you are interested in making this little quilt, the instructions start HERE. You have until December 1 to email Pam the jpg of your quilt top or finished quilt. Pam divided the sew along into twelve weeks. I followed along for the first three weeks and then put it away for the summer, pulling the blocks out last week to finish it off. I am so glad I did!

I used so many black and cream fabrics that my tote of bits and pieces was getting empty, so I was thrilled to see Pam's new line of black and cream fabric. She calls it American Gothic and it is beautiful! I ordered the fat eighths bundle HERE directly from her web site and it arrived in no time. Here is a picture borrowed directly from her blog. Some of her fabrics even have little splashes of red...gotta love it! 


It's a great day for quilting!

24 comments:

  1. Your quilt top came out great! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your husband has been a quilter's husband far too long to be able to pick out that boo-boo so quickly!! Thank goodnes, though, "eh"? It's beautiful, Lesley, and looks especially lovely draped over that bright yellow adirondack chair. It's the perfect little 'cuddle' quilt. I love the pattern with a focus fabric running through it. Looks so completely different than the original. Seeng it finished makes me want to shove all of my sewing mess aside and get started on one right away. Good thing I'm going to Antigonish today. Hopefully, by the time I return home, I'll be 'over it'!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed seeing your blocks; turn into this very nice quilt top. Great job. Have fun hand quilting this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful Lesley and good for your hubby noticing that little boo-boo before you had it all quilted .Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leslie, I love your version!!! I usually do Pam's SAL, but had to bow out this time!!! But I loved seeing what everyone has made!! I love it draped on the yellow chair!!

    Have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all I love black and white and a touch of red. :). But second that quilt is made for that chair!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another fabulous kwilt! Always enjoy seeing what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your version of Pam's sew along! Your hubby has a good eye... that "whoops" was corrected just in time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice, love the colors especially on the Yellow chair!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt top is just wonderful! Love the colour combo so much. That little dash of red is so nice. Great that your Quality Control Dept.caught the boo-boo. Nothing worse than getting all the quilting done only to find a mistake. I know from experience.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks fabulous. I'm glad you changed the error as it would have bugged you every time you looked at it. It really looks wonderful now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great version of Pam's quilt - I love seeing how people interpret a pattern to fit their own idea and taste - Woot Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful Lesley,I love the colours you have used.x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful. Love the black and white with the touches of red.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is very pretty Lesley. I have never thought of a black and white quilt, but with the red it rally is nice. I have been following your blogs every time. You work is just wonderful. I will get back to quilting after we move and if I survive. But in the meantime I am enjoying your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your new and improved version of Nabby Dowry looks fabulous in the black and whites and the hint of red is great - something to remember. Wow that your hubby spotted the error - must be years of living with a quilter, you've trained him well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm with you Lesley, I would have to have corrected that center block upset. Now it's a fabulous little quilt! I think you made great fabric choices. I love the mix of whites and creams and the hints of red throughout. Well done my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well done. It looks great. Yes, I agree with fixing the hiccup in that one block. It would nag at you if your didn't change it. You are so good at keeping up with your projects. And it is so interesting to see different colours in these quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Totally into this..love the pics too

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm more of a controlled scrappy kind of gal, so I'm especially enamored by your version of Nabby's Dowry! And I think I need to go order some of Pam's new fabrics ... they're yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely pattern and your choice of colours is lovely. Well done and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm glad the hubby found the little boo-boo before you spent all the time to hand quilt it. It turned out just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love Pam's new fabric line. I had wanted to make the ND quilt along and now I really wish I would have. I love your version of it. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!