Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Country Charmer is in Nova Scotia and so is A Needle Pulling Thread Quilt Shop




Yep, my very own Country Charmer quilt mailed all the way from Lynn's house at Sew'n Wild Oaks in California arrived today in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. I ripped the tape off gently removed the packing tape to discover an extra special treat that Lynn included in the package.



Yes, Lynn gifted me her recently released book that is going to change my quilting life! "Patchwork Math Using Quilting Design Components" is just the thing I need! I so wish I could also attend Lynn's workshops in person, but we just live too far away. Her book is so well written, though, that I will be a (self-proclaimed) expert in no time...giggle!

I purposely took my time opening the box. I wanted to relish each and every moment. Finally, I unfolded the quilt and quickly draped it over the chair in the dining room, petting, and touching, and feeling my Country Charmer from corner to corner. I was so right...Lynn's wonderful machine quilting has hidden each and every one of my piecing flaws. Honest...it looks like perfection to me! 



Then I gathered up the quilted treasure and hobbled quickly down the hall. Why did I hobble? Because I put out my back a few days ago and have been hobbling ever since. I know it will heal, but right now I don't have any time or patience for it. And don't let me get started about my very achy self-diagnosed tennis elbow...argh!

So the light of my day was this parcel from Lynn...and look, just look...safe and sound in our room...



with a backing that feels like silk and a wool batting...fantabulous!



There just aren't enough words...



Make sure you come back on November 30. We are going to have our finale and parade of Country Charmer quilts. If you have a blog, you'll be able to link up that day, but if not, all you have to do is send your picture of your CC quilt or quilt top to Lynn and I and we'll post them for you on that day. Of course, you can also visit the Flickr page too. 

What will I be doing in the meantime? Sewing the binding on my CC quilt by hand and attaching the label on this very special quilt. To read more about my CC quilt, check out my previous post HERE. Thank you, Lynn...

Besides hobbling down the hall to spread out my quilt, I also hobbled my way down to Digby at the other end of the province to finally meet in person my wonderful friend Kaaren. Kaaren is well known in blog land as The Painted Quilt lady who is a prolific quilter, blogger, and has been offering fantastic Friday Freebie patterns for years. She is exceptionally talented and a great hugger too! Kaaren and I have been long-distance blog friends for about two years, chatting at all hours of the early morning and sharing our love of all things quilted! 

We met up at the local coffee shop in Digby on Monday morning,enjoyed many hugs and non-stop chatting, and then headed over to the newest quilt shop in Nova Scotia. "A Needle Pulling Thread Quilt Shop" just opened in Digby on Friday, November 1 by fellow Nova Scotian blogger Darlene of Quilts by Darlene. You may remember she offered the free QAL for my Darlene's Mystery Quilt.You can see my finished quilt HERE. Darlene is super talented and has opened a quilt shop that took my breath away! 



As soon as we walked in, we were greeted immediately by a smiling Darlene who is also a wonderful hugger! I actually didn't take pictures inside, because I was too busy oohing ahhing, and buying. Besides, both Kaaren and Darlene have already shown some beautiful pictures on their blogs. Just click on their names and you'll be taken on a tour of "A Needle Pulling Thread." If you see something you like, just call Darlene or email her and she'll look after you. In addition to quilting fabrics, wools and notions, she also sells note cards, collectibles, and quilts of all sizes that are just gorgeous, many of them made by Darlene, Kaaren, and friends. Darlene has an array of workshops already scheduled so be sure to check it out if you are within driving distance of the shop.The shop has a Facebook page HERE. 

What did I buy? Some wonderful cotton fabrics in blues, creams and reds and some yummy wools to use to make a snowman quilt. Primitive Gatherings, Old Glory, and Mid-Winter Reds are just a few of the lines of fabric that stole my heart that day! She has yardage as well as a great selection of fat quarters. Of course I also had to purchase the latest issue of Primitive Quilts and Projects, an ergonomically designed rotary cutter to help me prevent more abuse on my muscles(!), and some quilty note cards that didn't quite make the picture. 



I even grabbed purchased a little wool strawberry pincushion made by Kaaren that is already at home beside my quilting chair. I think they are going to go fast! 



Oh my, I think this blog post has become a book, hasn't it? I'm also starting to think my tennis elbow may be from punching keys, not pulling thread, so I better go rest. Thanks so much for coming by!




31 comments:

  1. Oh, that quilt is stunning, Lesley! What a wonderful job on the quilting to enhance the lovely piecing!
    I am sorry to here you are in hobble mode. Hope you don't have to endure that too much longer.
    I had just read about your adventure on Kaaren's blog. Looks like SEW MUCH FUN--even while hobbling! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Country Charmer is gorgeous and your goodies from Darlene's shop are great, wish I could shop there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is lovely in every way! Hope your back heals fast... it sure limits your activities and productivity. Sit back and just enjoy that quilt and your new goodies while your back mends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting Lesley!! I love your quilt... I'm sure Lynn had a great base to work with :-) Sorry to hear about your back. Darlene's shop sounds wonderful, and how cool it is to meet blogging friends... great that you hit it off so well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love , love it!! Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lesley,
    I'm so happy your beautiful quilt arrived safely to your address and I'm so glad you like it. It looks so inviting and cozy in your room. Darlene's shop looks so welcoming. Take good care of yourself and rest up your arm so you can work on your binding! ~~Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry that you are having to hobble... hopefully gazing at that beauty will help! It's fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE your Country Charmer quilt, love the fact that you made it down to Digby, love your purchases and most of all, I L-O-V-E YOU!!!

    You are the most humble, gracious and generous person I know. Lesley, you are the best. And you can tell Dave, "Ha! We did finally get to meet!" He just might have to eat those words one day. *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt is beautiful!! Take care of your back! Happy quilting with your new book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Country Chamer looks absolutely amazing and I sure don't see any mistakes in this beauty . So glad you got to meet Kaaren and Darlene and had a nice visit. So .... sorry to hear your back is out though , I sure hope that heals quickly , take it easy and get some rest. Hugs Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  11. the quilt is beautiful. How great you had the chance to meet Kaaren and Darlene and see the new quilt shop. Your purchases look great.
    Hope you feel better soon

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow!! Your quilt arrived in record time! What's up with Canada Post?? I can't wait to see it. Glad you had such a wonderful time in Digby. Kaaren said the same thing. I'm really sorry about your back. We can hobble together!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel your back pain, Lesley, or share it. Take good care with it now and hopefully it won't persist. As promised by my partner, I was also able to visit Darlene's shop today and meet up with Kaaren, Gail and of course Darlene. A little retail therapy was in order but not nearly as much as I was tempted to do. A little voice in the back of my head told me it wasn't sensible to pack it all home and then move it back to NS again. But I will be back. (and I asked if I win the prize for coming the longest distance and so far, I am the winner! With the wave of summer visitors next year, it will be no secret that "A Needle Pulling Thread" will be on everyone's must visit list.)
    Your Country Charmer is a real beauty to begin with and the quilting just sets it off even more. A real treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't mind at all telling you one more time what a beauty your country charmer quilt is! And again the quilting too enhances your piecing. Enjoy it to the max!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so in love with your CC. It is just beautiful. It looks just amazing in your room. So glad that you had a great time in Digby. I need to go there too. Hope you heal up real soon so you can get to making something fantabulous with all your new fabrics.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Country Charmer is outstanding! I'm like you - I wish I was close enough to attend Lynn's classes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was a bit jealous of the fun time you were having with Kaaren!!! I knew you would both have a blast.

    Your Country Charmer is outstanding...just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lesley, it was a pleasure to meet you and have a visit with you and Kaaren. So glad that you were able to get down our way and look forward to seeing you again soon! Your quilt looks absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well THAT is one stunning quilt! Way to go, girls!

    ReplyDelete
  20. As someone with a back, I am sympathising and wishing you well soon. Doesn't your quilt just look stunning, and now, when your back is really bad, you have a special quilt to wrap yourself up in.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Everytime I see your CC quilt I am charmed!!! It is so gorgeous Lesley! I know you are happy to have it safe and sound on your bed to enjoy every day :*)

    Isn't it fun to meet a blog friend? I've had that pleasure a few times and am always amazed that we can make such good friends without ever even meeting. I think maybe we reveal more about who we really are through our words and creations than we do through the face we show the people we actually meet and relate with. So glad you had fun and had the opportunity to visit a wonderful new quilt shop - it looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a GORGEOUS QUILT !!! Lynn did a amazing job & what a lucky girl for you to receive her book . How fun to meet a blogging friend ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lesley you must be absolutley thrilled to get this awesome quilt back and to see Lynne's quilting up close. It is an amazing quilt. It has given me the push to get my CC back out and work on it again.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lynn did a beautiful job on your CC. It's gorgeous. Hope the hobbling ends soon.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It looks so amazing on your bed! You did a wonderful job making it and Lynn did a great job bringing it to life. May you have many wonderful years under your quilt Lesley.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fantabulous! Turned out so gorgeous! I am envious.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The quilt looks wonderful!! I really enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I read about your trip on Darlene's blog the other day, sounds like you ladies had a great time. Your quilt is just beautiful, you should be so proud. Hope your feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a wonderful package! And a gorgeous quilt!
    I think you should heal your back and elbow by taking lots of rest on your lovely bed!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your quilt is absolutely beautiful. So pleased it has arrived safely into your hands. It will be something to treasure always. Great photos of the quilting, too.
    It looks like you had the best day with Kaaren. And what a great opportunity to see Darlene's new shop. Do you think it will become a regular event?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your CC is just breathtaking. I know that you will enjoy snuggling under it for many, many years.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!