Friday, January 31, 2014

Fridays Are the Best!

After almost two years of retirement, I still love Fridays and the anticipation of the weekend. My plans for the weekend? More TV, reading, and resting. Yep, I'm back in "resting" mode from my quilting shenanigans projects and waiting for results of yet another set of x-rays, this time on my wrist and shoulder. Cortisone shots were ruled out by my physician as the aches are in too many places for it to be effective. But no sad faces as my pain is very minimal, more of a nuisance now than anything. I'm definitely improving, I just want to make sure my steps are forward, not backwards.

Since I have no new finished projects to show you, I thought I'd take you for a spin around our little house. I guess you could say I am a bit of a quilt collector...



When you walk in the front door, you are greeted by a little quilt in honor of little houses just like ours!


The pattern is designed by that sweetie, Michelle, Folk Art Fusion designer, owner and operator of The Raspberry Rabbits. The quilt has lots of embroidery and uses cottons with wool applique hearts. Make sure you check out her shop...she has some wonderful designs!

If you take a left into the kitchen, you see a little quilt on the fridge that I designed for Woodworker Hubby in honor of his birthday a few years ago.



It's a little tricky to read the newspaper article that I had printed on cotton, but it shows him at the age of 10, "believed to be the youngest Hydro plane driver in Canada".  The caption detailed how he competed in the 10 horse Power utility class in the Nova Scotia Power Boat Association regatta long before I knew him. He looks a little swamped under his dad's helmet and wearing a life jacket of that era. He was pretty proud that day!

On the back, I couldn't resist adding this little cartoon, personalized it just a tad and gave it to him on his birthday which was celebrated while we were on the Alaskan quilting cruise in 2012.



I used selvages from the fabric lines designed by the quilting teachers on the cruise, Pam Buda of Heartspun Quilts and Lynn Hagemeir of Kansas Troubles Quilters. It's a perfect little memoir quilt for the two of us if our memories begin to fade like the fabrics!

There are several quilts in the kitchen...one is a very vintagy snowman quilt I made with homespuns. It has seen lots of sun over the years so is pretty faded, but I still love these guys!



Here's my mittens quilt, one of the first quilts I made using wool applique!



The table is decorated with a mitten tablerunner made with flannels and cottons...cosy quilts for a wintry day!


This framed log cabin quilt was made years ago...



In the livingroom, I don't have pictures hanging, I have quilts! This one again combined cotton and wool. 









and a few more snowmen...





I have several hooked rugs...all gifts from my talented and very generous friend!

I hope you have enjoyed my show and tell. If all goes well, maybe next time I'll have some quilted treats to show you from my sewing corner. Positive thinking can work wonders! 

Have a great weekend!



36 comments:

  1. Sending my positive thoughts and energy to you. Loved the mini tour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - that was a fun tour! Hope your are back to painless SOON! I prescribe a couple of chocolate chip cookies and hot cocoa - sure to help! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooo you...thanks for the tour. You will be back to quilting soon and then, look out!
    I have a wallhanging the same as your vintagy snowmen that my N.B. quilty buddy made for me a few years ago. One of my all time faves.
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed the mini tour…so many adorable projects!! Feel better soon Lesley :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tour, Lesley. I love all your quilts! Hope you're feeling better real soon so you can get back into your "real" routine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All this needs is chocolate....thanks for the wonderful tour. crystalbluern at onlineok dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a sweet tour of your house and quilty things! I'm looking forward to seeing you well and wowing me again with your projects. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun decor. Loved seeing it, Lesley. : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved the tour of your home! Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the tour Lesley , you have such a lovely display of quilts , makes for a warm and cosy home . Take care and heal quickly . Hugs Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  11. A quilt show! Love them. You have very charming quilts. Hope you continue to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your home is so warm and inviting. Thanks for the tour. Hope you continue improving on the medical front.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for a wonderful tour. Your have made perfect use of your lovely projects to decorate your home.
    Good luck with the x-rays.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the show... It looks like the Home of the Cuddle Quilter! I hope you are on the mend soon. I think Monday is my favorite day of the week... A fresh start I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely quilts, hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for being such a lovely hostess. I loved visiting and seeing all your special treasures. Hope you are feeling a lot better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a treat of a tour! Quilts just warm up a home in the most marvelous ways! Wishing you more comfortable days ahead, Lesley.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great quilt tour. I love the story behind each quilt. It makes them so much more special.
    Enjoy relaxing and recouperating.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is what I love about quilters and blogs. We may live a distance apart but sipping coffee and reading the history of our friends is like a coffee gathering on a cold morning!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love Fridays too Lesley! Even though I no longer work, my husband does, so it's nice to have the weekend to be together. LOVED your tour! Such sweet little quilts, all with special memories and feelings attached - that's what makes quilting so special!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Loved the tour of your quilted home Lesley. All of your quilts, wall hangings and table runner add such warmth and coziness. You take good care of yourself and keep improving daily. I miss reading your blog and seeing your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing all your quilted treasures! Hope next Friday finds you practicing our favorite obsession!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You have a lot of great quilts, the snowman is my favorite!! Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great tour. Love the "Pickles" cartoons read them everday in our Newspaper.I tell my Hubby he is alot like Earl.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's always fun to peek into homes and collections of other bloggers. I am like you..more quilts hanging than pictures! We know what we like! There was a time I'd say the walls are warmer than the beds. Hee!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I hope you are back to 100% perfect soon! Love the quilty tour of your home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for the tour. Take it easy and get better.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Why hook rugs when you have friends who will give them to you? LOL Lucky girl..... Great displays of your quilts and I love the label you added to hubby's quilt....

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for the tour. It was like visiting a quilt show. I particularly like the framed log cabin blocks. That's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wishing you much success in your recovery so you can get back to the important job of sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy yiu are recovering smoothly, thanks for the tour,

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hope you recover quickly. What a great quilt show you gave us. So fun seeing all the beauties that you get to look at everyday. I really love the framed log cabins. Your big spools look great on the quilt hanger.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I loved your show and tell! It's always fun to see projects others have made - I get some great ideas every time! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  34. I can attest to the fact that all your displayed quilts are just lovely in your beautiful home. I wish I had someone that could make all the wonderful wooden hangers like you do!! I'll just have to keep using push pins!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. These snowmen are really lovely !

    ReplyDelete
  36. A little bit of Heaven; to be able to walk around and see such delightful sights! I know that I like when I walk pass a project that I have made and stop for a double look; and think "that makes me happy".

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!