Friday, February 21, 2014

Country Homecoming a Start!

What's a quilter to do when one of her many totes of fabrics is overflowing with homespuns?



Well, this quilter couldn't look at these pieces of fabric anymore. This quilter wanted to build a homespun neighbourhood just like Paulette at Sweet P did last year with her friends. You can read all about the start of her homespun neighbourhood HERE and see her finished quilt HERE. I think you will agree, her finished quilt is drop dead gorgeous!

I watched Sweet P build her neighbourhood from afar and put this "Country Homecoming Quilt" on my ever growing "to do" list.  The pattern is in the book, "Primitive Gatherings", the quilt designed by Terry Burkhart and Rozan Meacham. 

The idea for my own neighbourhood gathered dust and the tote of homespuns remained unopened until new inspiration came along last week thanks to Nancie Ann Quilts. Nancie posted about her participation with another group of bloggers and quilters who had decided to start a new QAL to make this same "Country Homecoming" quilt. You can read all about this QAL at Kim's Big Quilting Adventures 

I was too late for the first linky party and may actually just work along at my own pace, but seeing all those wonderful country houses definitely got me into my sewing corner. It took a little organization before I could begin construction...





Ms. Sweet P herself answered my plea for help with the construction details, so I followed her suggestion of using freezer paper templates (several layers ironed together) and some starch to make the windows and doors. She sent me a link to an excellent tutorial on using this method here. 






I decided to attach the applique by machine using a small blanket stitch. This did the trick and I now have two finished houses. The windows twisted a little on me as I appliqued them. Ms. Sweet P reminded me that the quilt is supposed to be primitive, so I will choose to be content with my slightly wonky windows. I'll wait until after the houses are sewn into the quilt before I add the stitching for the window panes.


I used lots of starch to prevent the houses from fraying while they wait for the neighbourhood to expand. I'm going to take my time with this quilt, a few blocks at a time. I'm in no rush to tackle that appliqued border!

Thank you Sweet P and Nancie Anne for your inspiration to begin construction!

It's a great day for quilting!

26 comments:

  1. Good Morning, Lesley! What a fun project. I love working with homespuns and your houses are going to be lovely. I look forward to watching your neighborhood grow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it's going to be such fun watching your houses get "built"! Definitely like the wonky windows, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are so cute and will make a great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an absolutely wonderful neighborhood!
    Sing it, Fred!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yippee!!! Cuddley has come out to play!!! What a surprise this post was! This is a fun quilt and you've just made it more fun! I'm pickled tink tosee you able to sew again...and please do take your time to avoid exacerbating those owies again! Gotta love that Paulette! She provides constant inspiration...I was cruising the net yesterday thanks to her post from Road To California!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've made a great start. Have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your neighborhood. Yes, a project to take time on and really enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is probably my all time FAVOURITE quilt!! Your hood is looking fantastic!!!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your houses Lesley , homespuns are so comforting :-) Have fun with this new project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love to make houses. Yours are just wonderful! I love the fabrics, just perfect! I am looking forward to watching your neighborhood grow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your neighborhood is definitely taking shape. Those plaids were just waiting until the time was right. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Houses! This looks like quite the fun project.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw Nancie Ann's quilt blocks and it is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was just cleaning out my scrap bins, Lesley and realized I also have a ton of homespuns - that aren't scraps! I think they will be saved for a fun house project like this! I love your little notes - looks as though we sew alike ;>)
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've seen some of the homespun neighborhood houses on a few blogs and they are wonderful... it will be fun to watch your neighborhood grow!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This quilt is definitely you. Your houses are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm going to build a subdivision too but not until all my other commitments are met. Yours is coming along splendidly. I too have a tote of homespuns just waiting to be transformed.

    With respect to your wonky windows, why not use a fusible web like Steam-a-Seam? That'll prevent them from moving as you sew them down. Just a suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't think a person can have too many plaids in their stash and I love house quilts. A good combination.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love these homespuns!! They look so soft. Also, I didn't know starch would prevent fraying...thanks for the tip!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the homespun quilt and I know yours will be gorgeous, can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love those little houses....beautiful! Looking forward to seeing yours done.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great start on this darling quilt - I love houses - and plaids - makes me want to make some too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just loves these and your fabrics are so fun...surely they were calling out to you to be stitched up in this fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  24. A new start! What a fun quilt. Love your blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the neighborhood you are building! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!