Thursday, February 27, 2014

Like A Breath of Fresh Air

Back in the Fall, Jacquie and the gals from the Mira Stitch 'N Post, a LQS located about an hour away, came to town for a weekend and set up shop at the Port Hawkesbury Civic Centre. They offered several workshops and brought a huge selection of fabrics, sewing machines, and notions. In addition to their always economically priced fabrics, they had a huge table of fabrics at even further discounted prices. I sure had fun adding to my stash!

I signed up for their Saturday workshop to make a "braided" quilt using jelly rolls and the Hex N More ruler that they sell in their shop. I have such a large fabric stash that I decided to use fabrics I already had, choosing a large variety of teals, aquas, greens, and lights, cutting them in 2.5" strips and then using the ruler to cut the shapes.



This ruler is awesome! It has so many uses that I know I will use it again. In no time at all, I had lots of half-hex shapes cut and ready to sew. 



The braids are slightly addictive. They start out short..



and then they grow...



and grow some more!



I wanted the colours to pop so used a solid Kona white for the sashing.



As you can see, the quilt had grown by leaps and bounds and was outgrowing my design "floor"!



It was time for the borders. I had two goals with this quilt: I wanted it to be bed-sized and I wanted to highlight the teals. I liked that the greens were adding some contrast, yet I wanted the overall color impact to be teal. Because of this, I chose a stripey (is that a word?) light teal first and bordered that with my favorite large-print teal. 



The result is "A Breath of Fresh Air", a semi-planned scrappy quilt that promises warmer and sunnier days ahead. The quilt finishes at 75" x 100", a great size for a "summer" bed quilt. Thankfully, Woodworker Hubby cleared a path on the deck from this week's load of snow so I could get to the clothesline and take a few pics. 







"A Breath of Fresh Air" is now ready for the next step. Hope you enjoyed this week's show and tell. Thanks so much for dropping by for a visit. It's a great day for quilting!


43 comments:

  1. Gorgoeus! I love those colors together and you've named it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is indeed a Breath of Fresh Air , I love it , the colors are so refreshing .Looks like a fun ruler to own . Great job as usual:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It absolutely IS a breath of fresh air! Lovely color scheme!!
    Is there a chance stripey isn't a word? Shucks, then what can we say? : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it, Lesley! Those gorgeous cool colors will also help to cool you off on warm summer nights! I've had that ruler for some time now - I think I know what I'll do with it!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Lesley, it's just gorgeous!! I've made the braid before, but not using that technique!! You have such an eye for combining colors! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely GORGEOUS !!! Great way to use your beautiful stash

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful! Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh WOW!!! I love it!!!! I need to look up that ruler :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The lime green gives the quilt a real pop but the teal cools it off again, just a perfect choice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, the borders are amazing. They really made the quilt "pop". So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely. It looks so bright against the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is definitely a 'Breath of Fresh Air' Lesley…love, love, love the colors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is gorgeous! Definitely a Breath of Fresh Air - what a great name! I think I needed to see it - around here there are no signs of spring, just lots of snow and cold weather. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the colors! I recently made braid borders for a quilt, and they were fun to make.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely, just the colour of my new bedroom in the basement!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovey quilt. Teal is one of my favorites and the teal looks amazing in your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved your show and tell!! I just bought this ruler and a pattern...had no idea it make this quilt!! I'm wondering what else it can do??
    Thanks for sharing!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  18. The colors are fresh and cheerful. That is a beauty of a quilt. Your half hexies make the braids look simple.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beauty, Lesley! I love it so much. Awesome colour choices and the white is perfect for making the colours pop. The border fabric is wonderful! I bought that ruler while we were at Avonport last year and havent used it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is really gorgeous. It reminds me of a tropical ocean view.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Lesley , that is a breath of fresh air. I love the color palette. The pop of green really brings it to life and I love the border fabrics. How pretty it will be on your bed.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good grief, Lesley! How easy you made that look. It's like you snapped your fingers, and tah dah !! Your top was together. Great fabric choices, and your choice of white is perfect. It looks like that ruler is worth its weight. Great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just love a braided quilt and yours turned out wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh it turned out fabulous Lesley. I really love the colors that you used.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a delightful quilt ... so aptly named!

    ReplyDelete
  26. A beautiful summery quilt to be sure. The colors remind me of a tropical paradise with me sitting by the pool and margarita in hand. Yummy...both the quilt and my margarita!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You are certainly chasing the winter blues with this lovely quilt top! Have Kaaren pass me one of those yummy margaritas, would you....

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your new quilt looks like summer so it's fun to see it displayed in the snow! LOL You must have a large, lovely stash if all those fabrics came from home. AWESOME quilt Lesley!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I actually HAVE that ruler, and never knew how to use it, since hexies aren't generally my thing....but I love the braids you made! I'd love to hear a little more about how you cut your strips (I'm assuming) and shapes....hint, hint!! Can you share? Pretty please?? TIA!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your braided quilt really is a breath of fresh air. I bought the ruler last fall and still haven't tried it. I've been trying to find a class because it seems a little difficult to master on my own. After seeing your beautiful quilt, I'll have to give in and try it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the quilt and it looks like it would be fun to make.

    ReplyDelete
  32. That is gorgeous! I agree it is a breath of fresh air. Sew very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Gorgeous Lesley! Great fabrics... exactly as you describe... a breath of fresh air! Every time I stop by and read a post on your blog, I see something else that I have to have, (we have the same iron since you posted about it, and the left handed rotary cutter... yep! And I love it!). Now it's the Hex 'n More ruler! Lady, you are costing me money!!! LOL ;)

    ReplyDelete
  34. You sure have a wonderful stash! Love the quilt as well.

    ReplyDelete
  35. That is just gorgeous. It really does make me think of summer. The name is perfect too.

    ReplyDelete
  36. It's lovely! The ruler looks interesting. It saves you from having to trim the sides of the braids.

    ReplyDelete
  37. gorgeous love these colours

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh Lesley, I love the colors and the tutorial feel of this post. I'm not a piecer, at heart, so I've been wondering how those braids go together without any "Y" seams. Aren't quilters just the smartest most creative people on the planet. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I think you have achieved your aim. Your quilt is stunning. I do love the colours in it. It looks fresh and ready for Spring. Thanks for the info on using that ruler. i just might have to get one.

    ReplyDelete
  40. It truly is a breath of fresh air! Love the photos! I can feel the breeze getting warmer!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Gosh I feel like I have missed out on so much blogland lately! Your braid quilt really is a breathe of fresh air; what a handy ruler you have there! I have enjoyed catching up on your posts - thank you for lovely reading!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!