Thursday, February 6, 2014

Stillwater Creek is a Flimsy Finish

Slowly but surely, I am returning to my sewing corner. Last week I seem to have hit the wall with my arm issue, but this week is a great week! I think all that exercising, massage, and physio treatments have finally done their work. 

Rather than jump into a new project, I decided to tackle a quilt that I had started awhile back. "Stillwater Creek" is a Pam Buda pattern made using one of her first lines of fabrics called Heart of the Prairie. This is the final quilt, of three, that were featured on the Alaskan Quilting Cruise of 2012. I had all the units sewn together while on the cruise so all I had to do was start sewing them together. I took my time and divided up the tasks with lots of rest in between. This was the perfect project for me to get back to it. One block quickly became four blocks...







The flying geese were a snap to sew together in strips...





and in no time at all, I had the quilt top finished. I forgot to take a picture of the full top. I kept waiting for a sunny day but the weather man just didn't cooperate. Instead I folded it over a chair for a few pics before I sent it on its way to be quilted.




You'll have to trust me that mine looks very similar to Pam's! The quilt is about 70" x 80".



This week I received a wonderful package of quilty delights from Darlene at A Needle Pulling Thread. Her shop is about five hours from here, but picking up the phone made the miles disappear. I love the way she has pictures of her new fabrics, notions, and magazines on her Facebook page. After a quick phone call, I placed an order for the newest edition of Primitive Quilts and Projects, some wool to make a few more snowmen for "Winter Blessings", some gorgeous blue fabric that was on sale as her 'fabric of the week', a stitchery pattern, and a bundle of Carrie's Madders. fabrics. Darlene also enclosed a lovely gift card and a chocolate...how cool is that! Have a peek...


Also in my package was a scrumptious stitchery pattern by Crabapple Hill called Snowmen A to ZZZZ.... This may be one of those year-long projects, but looking forward to getting it started when I finish a few other projects. The picture of the pattern doesn't do it justice. To see how gorgeous this quilt is, drop by Flourishing Palms. She has created a stunning quilt with this pattern, very inspirational! 



It's a great day for quilting, watching the Scottie's Tournament of Hearts, and watching the Sochi 2014 Olympics. Thanks so much for coming by!


27 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your Stillwater Creek finish! I have one that looks a lot like that LOL. I'll be interested to see how your quilter quilts it. I need to get mine finished someday, too. This miserably cold winter might be just the right time to do that. Love your snowman pattern, too. Crabapple Hill always has such cute stitcheries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear that you are doing better, but go slow. Wonderful finish. Love the snowman pattern and you should enjoy that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look forward to seeing your Stillwater Creek flimsy all quilted, Lesley. Happy you are starting to feel better and are able to get back to some creating…love the snowman pattern…enjoy working on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice finish, Lesley. I believe I got that pattern at the recent "Pam" retreat I attended.
    Oh, my goodness! I wish that package had come to my house--what fun!! Actually I have that magazine now, which is a bit of a miracle. No one in my area has carried it--not hobby/craft stores, quilt shops, or book stores with large magazines sections. Lo and behold, on a trip to the grocery store last week (where the quilt magazine selection has been abysmal), I discovered they now have it on their shelf! It is probably too good to last, but I am going to enjoy it while I can. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great way to have a quilt finish with out the stress. Lovely new purchases. Good to see you having a chance to sew BUT be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nope, can't seem to see the chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice stuff you have there. Love the Pam Buda quilt. Your flying geese look perfect. I love how nice they look on a quilt. That snowmen quilt is sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you are feeling better. Your quilt is lovely and I love the blue fabrics you purchased.

    ReplyDelete
  9. another wonderful quilt. Looking foreward to see it after quilting.
    I like seeing pictures from Darlenes shop. but the cost of shipping would be outrages.
    Happy to hear you are doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy to hear that you are back in the saddle...I mean quilting chair! Love your Pam Buda quilt and can't wait to see it after it's quilted.

    I feel so fortunate to live only 20 minutes away from Darlene's shop. She's only been open for 3.5 months and already has the most amazing stuff in her shop. And I know it will only get better.

    Keep getting better, my friend. We'll have to start on that A to Zzzz stitchery together in the future. I just love it! And I got mine at A Needle Pulling Thread too! *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to see your Stillwater Creek quilt when it's finished. I'm sure it will be absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So nice to see your lovely work Lesley , your quilt is beautiful and your package from Darlene contains some real wonderful fabrics and that pattern is just sweet . Take it easy but have fun stitching .

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I love your quilt and the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yeah...she's back in the saddle again!! Good to have you back...
    P

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your flimsy looks fabulous and is such a nice size. Glad to see you productive again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely finish. What a lovely bunch of goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Even with your arm, I think you are accomplishing more than me. Grin. Love anything Pam Buda. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad the PT and exercise have produced positive results. This looks like it's going to be a great quilt. The colors are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good to hear you're getting back to your old self, Lesley! I love your finish - Pam Buda's patterns really appeal to me, too! I've been eyeing that stitchery, myself - have done several of hers and they do take a while, but make such a fantastic lap project and when done, you have a masterpiece!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your quilt flimsy is lovely,and glad to hear your shoulder is hopefully on the mend.xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yeah for you for feeling better and getting some sewing done.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So happy that things are looking up for you. Great to get your quilt top done. Love it! That snowman pattern looks wonderful. I just might have to check that out....

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so glad to read that you are making progress! Such a pretty quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stillwater Creek is lovely! I'll bet you are anxious to have it quilted! Love all those yummy blue fabrics you purchased...
    So glad the days are getting better for you, Lesley!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Glad to see you are pacing yourself and still accomplishing so much. Bet you were glad to get a UFO finished up, and one that is so pretty. I love the traditional blocks and the color choices. Can't wait to see the whole thing when it comes back from the quilters!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely quilt. Blue is so......I can't think what to say that doesn't sound like Anne of Green Gables....lovely in that setting. And that star is my all-time favorite. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Stillwater Creek looks like the perfect project for you right now. I had no idea it was that big though! I love big blocks - projects move along so quickly that way :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!