Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Stillwater Creek is Home

It always feels like Christmas to me when a flimsy goes out the door and comes home as a quilt. "Stillwater Creek" arrived at my door recently. You can read all about this quilt HERE




My wonderful quilt friend and neighbour travels on a regular basis to Sydney, about an hour and a half from here, and offers to pick up and drop off any quilts I have ready to go to the longarmer. My friend is so generous, she even provides door to door service! She arrives at my door in the early morning to pick up any quilt top that is ready for quilting, and arrives back in the late afternoon if she has any deliveries. She is a sweetie!

I was thrilled when she delivered  "Stillwater Creek". Here are some closeups of the edge to edge feather quilting done by Ange at Quilting on the Mira. I love this pattern!



And the back...

I added a binding to match the outer border and machine attached it to save wear and tear on my wrist. This quilt was a joy to make with the big blocks and the flying geese units. My quilt finishes at 66" x 77", perfect for the twin bed in the spare bedroom. If you are interested in purchasing the pattern, it is available at designer Pam Buda's shop HERE. Pam has just announced her newest free sewalong on her blog, Heartspun Quilts. I love her designs and have participated in several of her Pocket Patchwork Sewalongs. This latest one is called "Market Day"...even the name is cute. She has listed all the fabric requirements on her blog and offers a kit in her shop if you want to make one just like hers. For me, it sounds like a perfect way to bust some of my stash! 

The hardest thing for me to do when the quilt arrived was to take some pictures. It was so cold the day I took the pics, I didn't even travel the extra steps to the clotheline. I took the pics but when I loaded them on the computer, the colour just wasn't right, so I took some more. I still wasn't happy, so then I took some pics of the quilt inside. Here is "Stillwater Creek" through the eyes of my camera, from afternoon, to late afternoon, to evening.



It's so nice to finish a quilt...I'm off to my sewing corner to search out another UFO...and there are many! It's a great day for quilting!


24 comments:

  1. It looks beautiful. The differing colors make it appear as though you made three different quilts. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a wonderful quilt. I like the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sometimes struggle with the light and taking pictures pictures too!! I actually like the progression you showed....the quilt is beautiful. I esp. like seeing it at "home" on the bed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look different in different lighting and time of the day too - but not as pretty as your quilt! Well done

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh....nothing like a finished quilt! Love the pattern, and the quilting is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks lovely, Lesley (I love alliteration!). : )
    It is beautiful in that golden glow of the late sun.
    I have the pattern--and now I can envision one on my spare bed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another beauty Lesley! And I can't think of a better delivery service than the one you have worked out with your friend! I love the quilting... looks so airy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt Lesley!!! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks lovely as usual, glad you are having fun again. X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Stillwater quilt looks beautiful and is so pretty on the bed !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Truly beautiful. It looks just right on the bed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The quilt is gorgeous and the quilting is fab. Great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Pam Buda's designs and can't wait to take part in her Quilt ALong! And I am going to order the pattern for Stillwater ... seeing yours (which is gorgeous!!) has convinced me that it needs to go on my list. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Doesn't it look lovely!!
    I have to agree with you about being excited when a quilt comes home after being quilted. It is like having a makeover. You never know how gorgeous it is going to look until the reveal!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's beautiful Lesley.
    I'm going to take a look at the quilt along.xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful quilt Lesley and the quilting she did is perfect for it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh how fun!!! There's nothing quite like the joy of having a quilt finished - especially when it is a UFO that has been languishing :*)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I find that quilts are so difficult to photograph. Love that feathered edge-to-edge quilting pattern. Looks wonderful in your spare bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lesley it's just beautiful - and the quilting is too! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a beautiful quilt, Lesley. I love the fabrics you chose. Congratulations on another finish!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your Stillwater Creek is beautiful! The quilting looks just right for it to me. You'll inspire me to get mine out and finish it!

    It's still winter here, too, and impossible to photograph anything but snow (and now mud) outside!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous quilt! The quilting is lovely as well.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It turned out really fabulous. Congrats to you for another finish.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!