Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Tips for Using the Hex N More Ruler

My last post initiated a lot of interest in the Hex N More ruler that I used to make my braided quilt, "A Breath of Fresh Air". Several of you asked for more information on using the ruler so I've put together a few steps that should take you from start to finish. If your ruler is sitting unused in your ruler stash, now is the time to unwrap it and try it out!



Here we go...

Cut strips 2 1/2 inches wide. I opted to use fabrics from my stash, cutting them in lengths that would accommodate the size of the half hexie. If the strip was long enough,  I folded it and cut several hexies at a time. 



Place the Hex N More ruler so that the solid line on the ruler (the line on the ruler that is 1/4" below seam allowance line) is lined up with the bottom edge of the fabric strip. I cut on the right side, following the shape of the ruler. 



Flip the fabric strip over so that the cut side is now on the left. 

Place the ruler on the shape with the edge of the ruler matching the solid line of the 6 1/2" hexagon marking. See the blue tape? I taped it to the back of the ruler on the edge of the black line so that it would be easier to for me to place the fabric aligned to the correct size. This is especially useful when cutting lots of half hexies at one time.



Once everything is lined up properly, cut the right side of the fabric, again following the shape of the ruler. 








You now have a perfect 6 1/2" half hexie, or maybe more if you cut in layers like I did.



To start a braid, place two hexies right sides together, so that the shortest side of the top hexie is lined up with the long side of the bottom hexie. Sew this short seam together, matching the shape as you see it in the picture.



Press away from the first hexie. This is what it will look like. 



Place the third half hexie on top of the second half hexie as you see it in the picture, right sides together. 



Sew this seam and press. I chose to fingerpress after each seam, using the iron every once in awhile after I had sewn several seams.


Add the next half hexie and sew it to the last one with the same placement as before. 






And so on, and so on...



I hope this helps, but if you still have questions, here are three more places to visit.

1) The creator of the ruler, Julie at Jaybird Quilts, has put together several tutorials on how to use the ruler. No need to reinvent the wheel, right? Click on the link HERE for information on cutting the half hexies. 

2) Heirloom Creations also has an excellent YouTube tutorial HERE that shows you how to use the ruler. 

3) The queen of YouTube quilting videos Jenny Doan, of the Missouri Star Quilt Company, has a short video called Friendship Braid Quilt Idea HERE that shows you how to start your braid. Look for it around the one minute mark of the video.

So there you have it. Are you going to make some braids?

It's a great day for quilting!

22 comments:

  1. That looks like a fun quilt to make... adding it (and the ruler) to my list. Thanks Lesley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great TOOT, Lesley!! I'm going to have to dust off my ruler!! Thanks!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have this ruler but I do have the 5" and 10" half hexagon templates from MSQ so I'll have to give this a try. Thanks for the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your tutorial. Thanks for it. I also did get the Martelli cutter that you show and like it very much, although it does take some getting used to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tutorial, Lesley. Well done.

    I'm not saying this in a negative sense but this seems like a lot more work than the way I'm making my French braids for the border on Darlene's mystery quilt. It probably isn't but I doubt that I'll be adding this ruler to my already huge collection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks. It is so easy once you see it! Great tutorial. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just got this ruler. :-) And I didn't know I could make a braid with it too! LOL Approx how many strips did you use? Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tutorial Lesley , this looks like a great ruler for making braids :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much! Looks simple enough, and a good use for that ruler that has hung since the day I got it! Thanks for the links, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is great, Lesley and makes me want to dive right into my ruler!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great explanation. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful tutorial Lesley! And with pictures for those of us (that would be me!) that are dependent on visual aids! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the tips, Lesley! I had no idea you could use that ruler like that. I might have to dust mine off!
    Julie @ The Crafty Quilter

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tutorial. My duh moment I kept looking at it and thinking why isn't she doing any Y seems because that is what I think of when I see that pattern, then realized you build from the bottom up not the top down. Now I want that ruler.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely! Thanks for the info. I was wondering how that worked.

    ReplyDelete
  16. First of all - your braided quilt is Gorgeous!
    Such a wonderful and easy to understand tutorial - thanks for sharing it.
    I think I would like to try this method!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great tutorial Lesley! I think we need to start carrying that ruler at the shop now that you've shown me how to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. that is a very cool quilt my friend!!!! Love the color combo too:):) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great way to get the braid quilt with no waste, love it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!