Sunday, May 25, 2014

Framed is a Wrap

This winter had no end and it seems to be hanging on with cool windy days and chilly nights. I know summer is around the corner, but it is sure taking a long time to arrive. I think because of the winter we had, I gravitated towards using bright and fun fabrics to brighten my days. My latest finish is called  "Framed". As you can see, I used a variety of novelty prints with a bright white Kona cotton.



The quilting was done by Angie at Quilting on the Mira in Sydney and gives it that texture that says "cuddle me!" I found the quilt design in Camille Roskelley's book, "Simply Retro" and knew it would be the perfect quilt pattern for me to play with on those cold winter days.



The quilt was easy peasy to make. I started by sewing frames around the fabrics...



and then went on to make the pieced sashing.



Camille's original pattern calls for the use of layer cakes resulting in a 63" x 63" quilt. I adapted, used fat quarters, and made it smaller, resulting in a cuddle quilt sized  43"  x 60." In no time at all, the top was finished and hung for a picture on a cold day in March. Guess you can probably tell we had a lot of snow that day. Woodworker Hubby cleared a path for me so I could hang the quilt for the picture.



"Framed" was one of several quilt tops that I sent to Sydney to be quilted this Spring and I was so pleased with how they all turned out. Here are a few close ups of "Framed" to show you the quilting and some of the fun fabrics that were used. 



Ange used a blue thread for the quilting ...I love the extra punch it gives! 



Although I used a variety of prints and colours, I also wanted a fair bit of blue in the quilt, so I used a bright blue tone on tone fabric for the binding and a crazy multicolored print for the back.







This quilt really makes me smile! It is now stretched out on a spare bed until it meets its new owner.

It's a great day for quilting!


26 comments:

  1. OMG...is that WHITE STUFF snow...or blossoms that have fallen from your apple tree? PLEASE say apple blossoms....The quilt however looks quiet cozy!!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous quilt Lesley - I love this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really makes me smile, too!! You sure have accomplished a lot this winter!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun quilt - it made me smile to see all your novelty prints! The pattern would be great for a baby or child's quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It makes me smile, too. I like Camille's designs and her Craftsy class. And I love all the different prints you used.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely quilt Lesley ,bright and cheerful.x

    ReplyDelete
  7. that turned out nice great bunch of fabrics

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a beautiful quilt finish, Lesley! Bright, fun fabrics is a great way to chase away winter! I'd love to share some of our heat with you. Too bad it doesn't work that way. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm smiling too Lesley , a fun quilt in real fun fabrics . Congrats on a fantastic finish :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the extra punch too!!! Summer is slow coming here too...but that is okay with me....LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet little quilt with beautiful colors! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A very fun little quilt to brighten a long, cold winter!
    It would look good in all kinds of fabric combinations. I think I need to "Pin" this to my "Quick Quilts" board. But seriously, is there such a thing as a quick quilt? : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it, it is so bright and cheerful - as you say, just the right thing for snuggling under in winter.

    How is your arm now by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely work. I do like the way you have altered the size to suit your needs.
    Love the fun fabrics and the backing is a stunner.
    Great quilting as well -perfect for this top.
    This quilt would cheer up any room!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty quilt. I especially like the white around the blocks which makes them pop even brighter. Nicely done on the quilting too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great Quilt and nice to be reading your blog again. It sure was a long Winter.
    but it was a good reason to stay in and Quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lesley this is so sweet! and I love the quilting with the blue thread. Job well done and congratulations on the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it! Have to make it! I love Camille's book. lots of great quilts. The quilting is just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very, very pretty. I love the eclectic use of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Really fabulous Lesley. I have that book but haven't had time yet to really read it thoroughly. I'm sure that I will be bookmarking this quilt to make myself sometime in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I love Framed!!! So simple and yet so effective :) Such a lot of fun, bright fabrics. And I have to say, if I had snow in March, I would definitely be IN NEED of some fun, bright fabrics LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely quilt - so effective ! Like the touch of blue the quilter has used too. I love the snow photos but I guess you are well and truly over it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really like your quilt and I have this book. Funny thing is, I don't remember liking it this much! Must go have another look. Do you mean Sydney Australia? I live in Australia and know how much the postage is to Canada. (My brother lived there for two years). You must have really wanted Angie in particular to quilt it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. So adorable... love how it shows off your cute fabrics!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!