Monday, May 19, 2014

There is a Garden...

Before I tell you where I've been for the last while, I wanted to show you the quilt top I just finished.


I used the pattern "Spring Fever" that was designed by Kimberley Jolly of the Fat Quarter Shop and was featured in the Spring '13 edition of "Quilts from Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks". It is the bottom quilt on the cover.

I wanted mine to be a larger quilt than the original pattern so I added white strips on the top and bottom and machine appliqued a quote I found about children and gardens. I used a floral border fabric that is in keeping with the garden theme and matches the prominent colors in the quilt of pink and green. The top finishes at 50" x 62". I figure it could be used as a baby quilt or be a quilt for a toddler or young girl.

I changed the size of the pinwheels and made nine per block instead of the original four using leftover HSTs from another quilt project, with lots of bright colours and some fun novelty fabrics. Soccer balls, ladybugs, pampered girl text fabric...I used it all and it seems to work! 


The four flowers and the centre block were made using shades of pinks and greens. In the original design, each flower was oriented towards the sides, but I changed my design so that the quilt has a top and a bottom.


Now it's ready for the quilter!


I had so much matching yardage in my stash, I decided to piece the back using the border fabric, some striped vine fabric to match, and some of the green tone on tone. 


Sure makes me think that Spring is here...do you notice there are no snow banks in the background? Of course, the trees are not in bloom either, but I know it will happen very soon! 


Now, if you have a few minutes more, and you'd like to know what I've been up to, please read on.

Remember those "Where is Waldo" books? My kids loved searching for Waldo's striped shirt hidden among the other pictures on the pages of the children's book. Well, I feel a little like Waldo! I've been gone for awhile and have turned up in various places around the globe.

It all started in mid-April when Woodworker Hubby and I travelled from wintry Nova Scotia, Canada, to summery Clearwater, Florida to spend a week with my mom, sister, and her hubby. 
We had a fabulous time visiting with my family and touring the many beach communities. We did the rounds of local eateries, saw some breathtaking sunsets, and did some "cruise wear" shopping at outlet malls. We even had time for a round of golf at Top of the World! 


Then on April 19, we took a 4-hour drive to  Fort Lauderdale to board the Celebrity Eclipse cruise ship with my sister, her hubby, and their good friends, another couple from BC, for a 13 night cruise across the Atlantic Ocean. The cruise was fantastic from start to finish. Travelling in our group of six was fun, fun, fun! Family, new friends, meals, entertainment, and staff all combined to give us a trip of a lifetime. We had booked a stateroom with a view and were thrilled to have calm seas and wonderful weather for almost the entire trip. Nothing can compete with enjoying an ocean sunset from your stateroom veranda!

The ship was huge with sixteen decks, a grassy lawn on the top deck, three pools, and enough activities and restaurants to keep us busy as we crossed the ocean. The cruise was our way of celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary coming up this summer...a real joy to celebrate the occasion with family and friends. 





The ship visited three ports as we sailed from Fort Lauderdale to South Hampton, UK. Playing the part of a tourist was pretty easy when we got to our first port in Nassau in the Bahamas. This little flamingo was just waiting for me as we walked through the Marina Village on Paradise Island...


We had taken a water taxi to the island and then passed through the marine village, shopping centre and lobby of The Atlantis Resort on the way to a gorgeous public beach complete with surf, sand, and a fabulous local chilled beer called Kalick. It was yummy and just the thing to enjoy with our feet in the sand and our cameras clicking!



The next day our ship sailed in to Bermuda, my favorite place of all. One word...beautiful! Beautiful beaches, food, scenery, people, and the tiniest little streets, though I did manage to find a giant beach chair! 


The ship was docked in Bermuda for two nights, so on day two we toured the island with "Rene" in his 6-seater van. He gave us a tour with local flare, showing us Bermuda up close and personal. We had a close look at the pink sand, a "gift from God" says our tour guide. He told us about 85% of all products on the island have to be imported, so he says the the sand is a gift from God made just for Bermuda!

I had a great walk in the sand, until the seventh wave chased me up the beach... 



Our final stop was in the municipality of Ponta Delgada on the largest of the islands in the Azores. Another day touring in a van, this time with charming Hugo. The day started with a mist, which actually seemed to enhance our views of this volcanic island.



Following our three hour tour, we walked the city streets dropping in to outdoor markets, cheese and wine shops, a local eatery with free Wifi, and learned very quickly not to stray over the white line on the "sidewalk", or as my son says, the curb. When a car comes roaring along, you end up hugging those buildings! 



The 13 night cruise passed so quickly and in no time at all we were sailing into South Hampton, UK. Our group of six had different plans...the two of us were headinghome in a few days and the other four were planning on more travelling in France. Within an hour of disembarking, WH and I were on a bus tour to Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Salisbury Cathedral.



By seven that night, after a wonderful day of sightseeing, the bus dropped us right off at the door of our centrally located London hotel. We checked in, had a meal of traditional fish and chips, and all was right with the world. The hotel was right across from Victoria Station so the next morning we headed out to "do London" in a day...and we did! We connected with the Original London Sightseeing Tour that we had booked tickets with and our day began. 

What were the highlights? Riding the London Eye to see the city in all its glory, and then seeing the sights and sounds of London from the top of the double decker buses.


By hopping on and off the bus throughout the day, we got to see so much of London including Westminister Abbey, Big Ben, Picadilly Circus, Trafalgar Square, London Bridge, and Canterbury Street, to name just a few of the places we visited.

This fellow definitely made me giggle...



We finished the day off  by visiting a traditional pub up the street from the hotel, enjoying a refreshing London Lager and the ambiance of a London pub. The next morning we strolled across the street with our luggage, boarded the Gatwick Express train, and flew home. 

Home sweet home....loved our trip so much, but it is always nice to come home.  I overcame the jet lag in a few days and then travelled to New Brunswick to visit with my mom and sisters. Now I am back in residence, ready to revisit my sewing corner, finish up some projects, and do some blog reading.

Thanks for visiting me today...it's a great day for quilting!


34 comments:

  1. I should comment on your sweet quilt top first. The fabrics are just right and that little quote fits right in. Darling! And your trip....amazing! How fabulous and fun to travel with family and friends. Sounds like everything was perfect. Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lesley, glad you had a great time, I have been thinking of you!
    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, I LOVE your quilt!! Love the fabric, the words, the pinwheels! Secondly, want an amazing trip!! Thank you for sharing your adventure with us. It's been a long time since hubby and I have had a big vacation....you've inspired me to start thinking of one!! Glad you are home and back to blog land. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stop by tomorrow...I've started a new Tuesday Archives linky where you link up OLD quilting posts!! Tomorrow's themes are: Chevron and Christmas Quilts. myplvl.blogspot.com

      Delete
  4. Wonderful post , absolutely love the quilt and those photos of your trip are amazing , luck you ! Great to have you back :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The quilt top is lovely and I am sure you are happy to have no snow. Such a wonderful trip and all of the beaches, ocean, food. Visiting England, it looks like you had loads of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, what a lovely trip you had! Thank you for sharing all the fun photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful to celebrate your anniversary with family and friends. I'm glad you had such beautiful weather and saw so many places. And best of all, shared it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wondered where you were.
    Wow, you know how to celebrate! Our 35th was last year and I think we went out to dinner and a movie. Would your DH talk to my DH? *LOL*
    Looks like a wonderful trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt is just the cutest! Love it. and you sure didnt miss much here ... winter just kept on going and it feels like Fall today. Your trip looks just amazing. I hope to hear some details in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should be a vacation broker; you make it seem so easy and fun. I am impressed with how much you did. Your pictures are super too. Your joy is obvious in every one. The baby quilt is a love; I like how you made it your own. Welcome back, Lesley.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whew! I'm exhausted! what a wonderful trip. Thanks so much for taking us along. Good friends, good food, and wonderful sights. Doesn't get any better. Love your quilt, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely interlude! I love the quilt and enjoyed hearing about all your adventures. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an exciting trip! Looks like you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilt is lovely - the colors just scream SPRING!!!! And your trip - WOW! - so exciting. Happy Anniversary! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  15. That a wonderful trip you had. Congrats on your 35 yr anniversary. I really like your Spring quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adorable quilt! What a fantastic cruise/vacation for your anniversary!! Such a blessing to have friends/family to share your travels with!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Whew! I'm breathless!

    Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay your back...What a fantastic trip,all those beautiful places and good old English soil.
    I hope you feel rejuvenated after your holiday.
    Love the quilt by the way.xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Welcome back. I am so sorry we weren't able to meet up in London. It sounds like you had a wonderful trip though with loads of fun things to see and do.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the quilt!! and what a trip! don't often think of a cruise from the Caribbean to England but what a trip and I did miss you Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think your son is correct....those are definitely curbs....grin. What a fantastic trip. I'm so glad you guys had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! What wonderful reasons for not blogging for awhile! Congrats on your upcoming 35th wedding anniversary... now you have fantastic travel memories to talk about and cherish! I enjoyed all the pictures... thank you... and welcome back!
    Oh! I love the Garden quilt too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, what an amazing and wonderful time. It does look like you enjoyed every minute of it. How lovely to do the cruise with a few special people, too. And what fun to spend time in England. It looks like you managed to see just about everything!! Thank you for sharing these lovely photos.
    And before I forget, the quilt is looking lovely, too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What fun seeing all the pics from your trip! You look like you had an absolute blast. I am so happy for you!! Now to your quilt.....you are a genius. It is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your quilt, and welcome back! We missed you! It looks like your trip was wonderful. I know you have lots of great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOW!!! first the quilt is super cute!!!! But, your travels are awesome!!! I have been traveling myself too...we should touch base threw email...soon. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  27. First, love the quilt. Second...OH MY GOSH! What a fantastic and wonderful adventure you have had! Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  28. It looks like you had a fabulous trip Lesly. What a wonderful experience. Love the message on your quilt. ~~Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh wow. That looks like it was one fabulous trip. Yeah for you. I've been wondering what you've been up to and am happy to know that it was all good.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You look like you had a fabulous time. What a great way to celebrate your anniversary! All that travel and a quilt, too...what a woman! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh my gosh Lesley, what an amazing time you have had! All I can say is wow and I KNOW you stopped at quilt stores along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lesley, what an amzing time you have had!! such adventures!! Congratulations on your 35th wedding anniversary! And the quilt is lovely too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!