Sunday, June 1, 2014

A Cottage Year and Quilt Shows

I have always loved seeing red, black, and white together in a quilt. Kathy Schmitz' pattern, "A Cottage Year", is a quilt pattern that combines these colours with my love of hand embroidery. You have seen several pictures of this project in progress, when I showed you the pattern, fabrics, and the first of the blocks HERE and when I sewed the blocks all together into a quilt top HERE.  Today I have just a few more pictures to show you before the quilt is put to rest waiting for its new home. 

"A Cottage Year" recently arrived back from Ange all nicely quilted. I added a black binding and "Abracadabra", the quilt is a finish. Hope you enjoy my show and tell...


I love making scrappy versions of quilt patterns, so I used an assortment of reds and creams from my stash for the log cabin blocks, tying it all together with a tidy little black print for the sashing.



One thing about my stash is that most of the fabric I buy are in fat quarters. Unfortunately, when it came to the binding, I didn't have enough yardage left to use the sashing fabric for the binding, so I used a solid black Kona cotton instead. Actually, I kind of like it!


Ange's edge to edge quilting was just want I wanted...a little quilting in and around the embroidered cottages, but still lets the hand stitching show off a little.



Oh my, how nice to see green in the background of this picture instead of white snow. After all, it is the first of June!


I had a fabulous day yesterday. I travelled a little over an hour to meet up with fellow Nova Scotian bloggers Linda, who blogs at Scrapmaster, and  Sheila from Sheila's Quilt World . We met first to have lunch and then we went to the Thistle Quilt Guild show to see the gorgeous quilts and quilted items at Sheila's guild's annual show in Westville, NS. This was the third year that I travelled to see Sheila and Linda at the show. Linda travels from the Halifax area so the show is a perfect meeting point. It was an afternoon of beauty and inspiration for us all. The extra bonus was to see some of Sheila's expertly quilted works up close...she is so very talented! 

And speaking of talent, Linda, in addition to being an avid quilter with traditional roots who has newly embraced modern quilt making,  is also a wonderful photographer and took some excellent pictures of the quilts. Please visit her HERE to see the quilts and tell her I say hello! 

A special hello to Karen at KaHolly who travelled with us to the quilt show last year. Unfortunately, she wasn't able to join us this time, but  have a look at the many reasons she chose Cape Breton as her summer home HERE. You may decide to move here too!

Speaking of quilt shows, how about if you join me this summer as I head to the Maine Quilts 37th annual quilt show in Augusta, Maine?  



A bus tour is being planned, for those who either love to quilt or love to shop at the outlets in Maine, or love both!  The bus will leave Port Hawkesbury on Thursday, July 25, to head to Maine and will start its return back on July 27. Although the bus will leave from Port Hawkesbury, the driver will make stops along the way and pick you up along the route if you live west of Port Hawkesbury. If you are a quilter living in Nova Scotia, PEI, or New Brunswick, you could definitely climb aboard the bus and let someone else do the long distance driving! Prices include the travel aboard an air conditioned coach, tour guide services, luggage handling, three nights accommodation at the Best Western Plus in Waterville, weekend admission to the quilt show plus banquet gala and live auction. Tour organizer Maureen promises laughs, games, prizes, movies, and so much more enroute to our destination. 

Here are the prices in Canadian dollars.

Quad (4 per room)  $475 
Triple ( 3 per room) $500
Double (2 per room) $525
Single $575

I have wanted to go to this quilt show for years, but hubby just wasn't interested in making the approximately 9 hour trip with me. This bus tour is the perfect solution. Won't you join me? If you are interested, please call the organizer Maureen at 1-902-625-0544 before June 14, 2014. Maureen will answer all your questions.  

And did I mention Pat Sloan will be there, along with a very talented group of quilt teachers offering workshops and demonstrations? And did I mention all the vendors who will be participating?  Do I have your interest? Check out the events HERE and please forward this information to anyone you think might be interested in joining us.

If you are one of my followers and think you might be attending the show, please send me an email or add a comment and maybe we can meet up at the show and say hello! 

It's a great day for quilting...



14 comments:

  1. Your quilt is just wonderful, I too love the black, white, andread

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your quilt Lesley , just stunning ! It was wonderful to have you and Linda here to see the snow and I am really hoping to go on that trip :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt looks great with the black binding. Thanks for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous quilt Lesley. How delightful you ladies got together. The Maine show looks wonderful, but that is too far for me to travel yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I collect most of my fabric in fat quarters too. I love the stitched houses, black, red and white always a favorite of mine. Beautiful finish. (Glad you had a great visit and just a wee bit in envy of your upcoming bus tour...as it sounds like a lot of fun!)

    ReplyDelete

  6. I do love those colors together, too. I actually have a box of black/red/tan shirts waiting to be made into a quilt. When I was gathering my shirt stash this group of shirts just called out to be combined. So I combined them in a box and that is as far as it went. I'll have to try "Abracadabra" and see if anything comes of it! : )
    Sounds like you will have a great time on your bus trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I"m with you on the fat quarters, just can't get enough ot fhem . But I really like a scrappy binding too. Your solid black looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt is really beautiful! The quilting enhances your stunning embroidery log cabin blocks. Congratulations having it all bound and finished.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you had a lot of fun. Sure love your quilt......gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely quilt. I like how she quilted the embroidery.....like clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another wonderful finish for you. What a gorgeous quilt. Love how Ange did the quilting. I agree, the Kona black was just perfect for the binding. When I first started quilting I made a B/W/Red double Irish Chain and it is still one of my faves, still using it. Loved spending time with you and Sheila and I can't wait til we can all get together again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your quilt is fabulous and how fun to meet other quilters to attend a show.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great finish with your quilt. Gorgeous embroideries and lovely log cabins. I do like the scrappy effect, too. It does look stunning with the red, cream and black.
    You have obviously been enjoying some great time with friends, and it looks like there is more in the planning. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous is what I say to the red white and black quilt! You did an amazing finish on it! Love your endings...it's always a great day for sewing:). Thanks for all the interesting posts. I need to be a better blogger.
    Hugs Marg.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!