Friday, August 8, 2014

Quilt Show at the Causeway

Before I bundled up my quilts to take to the 9th annual Quilt Show and Sale at St. David's Church in Port Hastings, Nova Scotia, I hung them on the clothesline for a few pics. As you can see, I have a little bit of everything, from small to large, from traditional to modern.


Pumpkins and baby quilts, from earth tones to bright colors.



A scrappy pinwheel made primarily from Collection for a Cause layer cakes.


And of course my favorite, from Quilts by Darlene's QAL, Darlene's Mystery quilt, which I have renamed "Mystery Solved". It is a pretty heavy quilt so I am surprised I managed to get a picture of it blowing in the wind. What must the neighbours think when they see me out there waiting to snap that windy picture! 


Some quilters keep track of how many hours it took to make a quilt. Mystery Solved took a lot, but I am so happy with the result. Thanks, Darlene, for your inspiration. Darlene is a fellow Nova Scotian who has opened her own quilt shop in Digby called A Needle Pulling Thread. It is almost a day's drive from here, but well worth the drive!

Our show started yesterday with a very successful first day. You can read more about the show HERE. Three bed sized quilts have already left us, on the way to their new homes. Here are a few pics I snapped before the show opened...









My Country Charmer quilt is at the front of the church, on a pew to the right, with the other display quilts. People are so impressed by the customized quilting that was done by my wonderful blog friend and quilt designer Lynn from Sew'n Wild Oaks. We see mostly edge to edge machine quilting here, so it is a special treat to see a quilt with such stunning customized quilting. You can revisit Country Charmer's quilt story HERE.

In addition to all the bed quilts in the church, the church hall in the back is filled to the rafters with smaller quilted and hand crafted items. You can tell we had a long snowy winter because our quilters stayed inside and sewed, sewed, and sewed!

If you live in the area, please drop by and say hello. Our hours are from 10-4 every day through to August 14. I'll be waiting!

It's a great day for quilting!

29 comments:

  1. Such a display of color, it looks beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What absolutely gorgeous quilts, yours especially! I wish I were closer ... that is one quilt show that I'd love to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They all look great Lesley, what a lovely display, would love to come and see them all in person. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing these photos, what a fantastic quilt show this will be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What GORGEOUS GORGEOUS quilts. I especially love your favorite as well and can see why it is yours...soo pretty! (are yours for sale?) How I would LOVE to see this show. Looks like some real beauties there. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I did live in the area. This looks so cool!
    I think the scrappy pinwheel is my favorite of your quilts. Vintage patterns in vintage looking fabrics always speak to me. But all of your quilts are beautiful--you do great work.
    Interesting that custom quilting isn't more common.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish I lived closer. What an impressive display. I hope its' a successful quilt show.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous quilt show , I love quilt shows in churches . Your quilts look amazing blowing in the breeze !

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your neighbors enjoy the quilt show you put on in your back yard. Every one is a gem. The show looks awesome. Hope it's successful for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful display of quilts. You have quite a wonderful collection.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! What a wonderful show - wish I could come! I love your quilts - they are all wonderful. I don't have a favorite type of quilt - I love all types. I bet your neighbors loved the mini-show on the clothesline! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful show and lovely quilts. I like your Mystery Solved very much. You are turning out some beautiful work! Thanks for sharing. You're right. My neighbors have no idea what's going on over here. And how can they NOT quilt? What do they think our time on earth is for, anyway? Ha-ha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous show Lesley and it is great to see the quilts you took along... my tastes seem to vary greatly as well, I seem to cover a variety of fabrics and colours. I do love Darlene's mystery quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I luv the quilt shows in churches. My friend did this last year at her church and it was spectacular Thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a terrific display of your quilts hanging on the line and blowing in the wind. That looks like a beautiful display of quilts in the church.

    ReplyDelete
  16. what fun to see all these quilts displayed like this. Thanks for sharing. must have been show, Darlene's mystery quilt is beautiful, great job
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is lovely to see your quilts out on the line and blowing in the wind. They are a beautiful show on their own.
    Thanks for the great photos from the amazing quilt display. I do wish I lived there and was able to see them myself. What a credit they are to a wonderful group of quilters.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What beautiful pictures Lesley! I would love to attend your show and see all of the gorgeous quilts on display.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the wonderful virtual quilt show! I would love to visit in person, but for now I'll enjoy all your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your quilt show looks so wonderful. I wish I lived closer because there were so many beautiful ones.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So awesome, thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mike and I had hoped to make it to your show on the weekend but I had so much sewing to get done, that it didn't work out...and look what I missed! You could have a show yourself Lesley. Love seeing your quilts blowing in the wind. Nice that Sheila was able to attend. Next year for sure! hugs

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just love your mystery solved quilt! It is outstanding and the border is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your pictures are lovely. I didn't have the opportunity to stop by this year, and being just 'up the road', I am very ashamed. I went three times last year, does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  25. It looks like it was a fabulous event.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh how I wish I lived near you! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for sharing....I enjoyed all the pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello.. I am new to your blog and am now following you. Amazing quilts you have made. Gorgeous! I started Darlene's Mystery Quilt too but so far only have 3 borders finished....must hunt that up. Your finish of it is absolutely gorgeous!! I LoVe the colors used too. My style. Love the pic with them blowing on the line:) I wonder what the neighbours think too sometimes. I think they like it :). The church looks awesome with all those quilts. I enjoy seeing how others quilters interpret a pattern and the colors they use. Really enjoyed your showings. Now I'm off to read more of your postings. Thanks and have a great day!
    Hugs Marg.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!