Sunday, August 17, 2014

This Quilt Appeals to Me

I have always had an "orange peel" quilt on my bucket list, so when I saw "Summer Leaf" on the cover of Fons and Porters' May/June edition of Quilty magazine, I knew this was the inspiration I needed for a new start. 

As you might have guessed by now, I love making scrappy quilts, so off I went to my stash to find some bright fabrics in blues, pinks, and yellows. I used the template of the peel from the magazine and then sewed my peels, right sides together, to fusible interfacing. I cut a little slit into the interfacing, turned the peels right side out and ended up with a bunch of pretty peels!  



Designer Victoria Shackle has provided a template for a pieced peel, but I have issues with sewing curves so this method worked for me. I cut out the background blocks using a variety of whites and fused the peels in place.


A hot iron and a little steam did the trick!


I plan to use my trusty machine to applique the peels in place and will use a bright green for my stems. I'll continue working on this project in between others, so it may be next summer before you see my version of "Summer Leaf". I love it when I fall in love with a quilt and just have to make it!


I have started to see "Summer Leaf" popping up around blogland. Polly at Aunt Polly's Porch made an absolutely gorgeous version and used an even faster way to make it. It is adorable! On her blog, she demonstrates how she made it and uses her expert free motion quilting to finish it off. See her version HERE

While I was working on my peels, I decided to make a few small design boards that I have seen Lori use at her blog, Bee In My Bonnet. I made a few 10" boards, have a 10" x 15" one in the works, and plan to make a few more in a 14" size to use when making 12.5" blocks. Tutorials for the design boards are HERE.

We had a very successful show at the annual "Celebrating Quilting at the Causeway Quilt Show and Sale". We wrapped up Friday after a great week, welcoming visitors and buyers from around the world. Thanks to all who visited and enjoyed the quilts. Next year will be our 10th annual, so plans are already underway to make it even more special. Maybe we'll see you there!

It's a great day for quilting!

31 comments:

  1. Love your peels..will look forward to seeing the finished quilt. And thanks for the heads up and links to other interesting finds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The peels are so pretty in those colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Mom is making this quilt (needleturn) - love your fabric and colors, fun and cheerful - like you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your choice of fabric for this quilt. Looking forward to see more.
    Greetings Grit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun fabric you are using for your orange peels!

    Looking forward to see in this one when you ares one :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, Lesley, it's going to be gorgeous!! Can't wait to see it finished. I just finished piecing a sailboat/scrappy baby quilt that has kept me pretty busy on and off during these beautiful, glorious, sunshiny days. That's about all I've managed to work on because I'd rather be outside, digging in the dirt, and communing with my birds and bugs. I waited so long for nice weather. I love how you provide lots of links to check out when you post. I wish Bee in My Bonnet didn't take so long to load. I am not the most patient person on the computer!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely colours you've chosen,love the pattern.x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's going to be beautiful in your palette!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear that your show went well, Lesley. I love your leaves, it will be a gorgeous quilt. I am still to make some of those little boards - have had the foam board sitting there for a while...!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's going to be very bright and pretty, Lesley! Glad to hear the show was a success!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What gorgeous fabric choices! I wonder how many other projects you'll get done before you finish this - it is so neat that it will be hard to leave! I checked out the small design boards - very nice! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks like a very slick way of making the orange peel blocks, to me. That will be a fun quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This quilt also appealed to me so very cheerful and fun . I love your version , great fabric choices , fun fun ! I can't wait for next years show but I can't imagine it can be any better than this year ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely Love the above quilt!!!! It will be so cheery when done:):) Can't wait to see it:):) Hugs...S

    ReplyDelete
  15. Orange peel is on my list too Lesley. Such pretty peels you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lesley - I used this same technique to do the applique work on the border of a scrap quilt I made years ago - I still remember how easy it made the work for me - this is going to be a great quilt for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Me too!! Yours is coming out adorable...I really like your color choices.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh! It is going to be so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely work on the Summer leaf blocks. Gorgeous fabrics for that one.
    Great idea to make the small design boards, too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the fabric you are using for your quilt xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your work is just gorgeous and has reminded me that I must someday use an orange peel pattern in my own work. It's such a versatile shape and you have done such a beautiful job there. xCathy

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the fabrics and the method you're using for orange peels. It will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like a great way to make them, and you have gorgeous scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I must try to pick up that magazine because I love your orange peels. I never would have thought to make them your way...what a super idea!

    And your design boards? What can I say other than they're the cutest things I've seen so far this week! Perfect for people like me who are direly lacking in wall space!

    ReplyDelete
  25. those are such bright cheerful colors what fun

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is going to be one fun fun quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Cute blocks Lesley and I'm like you.....love this type of applique!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello my sweet amiga… I love your peels ;o) and I would like to see how your project is growing so please, update us soon...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love, Love, Love your Orange Peel pieces! That one is on my bucket list too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!