Friday, September 12, 2014

A Day at the Shop

There are 12 of us who make up the Artisans Collective, a group of women from the area who set up shop every summer in the Port Hastings Museum at the Causeway, the entrance to Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia. As one of the twelve, I take a turn once every 12 days  to work a shift. My day was yesterday. Off I went with a smile, some sewing projects, my "new" 1964 Featherweight, and a portable table. You see, at this time of year, the number of visitors drops a bit, so there always seems to be a little time to work on a project or two. Seeing an artisan at work also seems to be a treat for the visitors who come into the shop so it's a win-win situation. 

The number of visitors the shop will start to pick up again in a week or two because of the Celtic Colours International Festival, an annual event that attracts thousands of visitors to celebrate our rich Cape Breton culture. Music, concerts, workshops, crafts, food-it's all here for our visitors to see and experience. Our shop will stay open until the end of the Festival and reopen again for two weekends before Christmas,

Back to my day. I set up my FW in front of the patio door overlooking the deck. This also gave me a beautiful view of the Strait of Canso. I sewed along, listening to Cape Breton music, tapping my toes and heels, and jumping up to welcome the visitors who dropped by. The natural light was indeed a bonus so I pulled out my "peels" ( you can read about this quilt HERE)  and started to sew.


In no time at all, I had finished 6 of the 8 rows that I need for the quilt. I'll work on the final two rows this weekend and then sew the columns of "leaves" to green stems. I figure the quilt will be a good size to cuddle in come the spring!


Do you recognise the quilt on the bed underneath the peels? It is my Cake Mix Celebration quilt. 


We have a bed in the shop that is used to display quilts on. When people are interested in a quilt, if it is on a wall or quilt stand, we spread it on the bed so that they'll see how it looks. We change the bed often-either the quilt sells or we rearrange the quilts in the shop so that our repeat customers will see something different every time they visit. Yesterday I welcomed quilters from Ontario and PEI...there is always so much to be shared with fellow quilters!

This week I also finished all the machine applique on Country Homecoming. My last picture looked so faded in the sunlight, so I took another picture, this time in the kitchen. It is all ready to go to the longarmer next week. Flannels and homespuns always makes my heart soar!


Thanks so much for coming by today. It's a great day for quilting!

31 comments:

  1. You really whipped out those "peels", Lesley! They look so happy and fun. : )
    I love Country Homecoming! Makes you want to grab it and cuddle up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely way to spend a day...sewing and volunteering at such a neat place. Lovely projects as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great place to set up your machine and while away the hours at the shop . You were very productive and your quilt is looking wonderful . The quilt on the bed looks marvellous too . Enjoy your sewing this weekend ,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun, relaxing day. Love how your peels are looking. So pretty! I have a layer cake that needs to be dealt with, I just might try that recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute is your FW in the shop! Your peels will make a lovely quilt. I like the Homecoming quilt though, because I'm ready for darker colors and cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the fabrics in your Country Homecoming! Makes me even more determined to work with some of the gorgeous flannels out right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Orange peels and cake mix............making me hungry gal. Look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilts !! You orange peels quilt is going quickly

    ReplyDelete
  9. I laughed at Billie's comment as I thought the same thing - orange peels and cake mix. Love the house quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great 'job'! Sounds like fun AND you get to sew some - wow! Love the orange peels. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like the best of both worlds Lesley, being able to sew and still be 'at work' :-) I love your completed Homecoming top!!! And the Peels is such a different look but will also be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. nice that you get that beautiful view while you sew and donate your time! love the quilt on the bed. The quilt your making is fun . reminds me of the Susan McCord vine quilt modernized :) so do you love your new machine? its just adorable!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your orange peel project is simply adorable. So bright and fun! Looks like you had a perfect day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You really do have the best of all worlds. I was hoping to be coming to Cape Breton on Tuesday, but our plans have changed due to DH's health. Perhaps we'll be able to reschedule in a couple of weeks. If we're there before the Festival, will we miss the crowds?

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sounds like a pretty good way to spend a day. And look at how productive you were. These peels are looking lovely. Great idea, too, to see the quilts on a bed.
    I really like this idea of your collective. A lovely opportunity.
    On a general basis, do most of the members find it successful with sales or do most use it mostly for display? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow you got a lot finished while working. I just love your flannel homespun house quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Country Homecoming is beautiful!!! Edyta Sitar has a a gorgeous house quilt that I'd love to make, but its still on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great way to spend your day...so fun! I love the orange peels, which I've never made, and that flannel quilt is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Leslie, your works in progress are your usual gorgeousness! I love the bright happy colors of your peel and the down home comfy feel of the houses. What a beauty of a border surrounding the houses! And your cake mix quilt looks sweet enough to eat! Sewing away from home leaves out all the guilt of not doing housely chores. It doesn't get any better than that. Plus the bonus of occasional admirers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Leslie, your works in progress are your usual gorgeousness! I love the bright happy colors of your peel and the down home comfy feel of the houses. What a beauty of a border surrounding the houses! And your cake mix looks sweet enough to eat. Sewing away from home leaves out all the guilt of "should be doing" housely chores. It doesn't get much better than that. Not to mention occasional admirers strolling by now and again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your peels and other lovely work. How I wish I could pop by for a visit. It sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, Lesley, I just love your peels! Now I want to make one!! Glad you had a good day at the shop. It is in a lovely location. I haven't had the opportunity to stop by yet this year, but hopefully will be able to swing in for a visit before you close for the season.

    ReplyDelete
  23. My kind of day, Lesley! Someday I hope we get to go back through Cape Breton and see you in the shop! I have featherweight envy, too! I would SO love to have one in white.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my goodness! Your Orange Peel quilt is just stunning!! And your Country Homecoming turned our wonderfully too! Beautiful quilts Lesley!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your Country Homecoming is indeed a good one to cuddle with. I love quilts with houses on them too. Your Orange Peels quilt looks like a lot of fun. May have to try one of these sometime in the future. Love your little green FW. Have not seen one like it in person in our area.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh....I can't begin to tell you how much I love your peels....oh my gosh!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Seeing your leaf quilt in progress made me remember a similar one I made many years ago. I'll have to send you a picture!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my goodness... I am in a swoon over that photo of your featherweight and peels... two of my favorite things! Your peels are just gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. A view, a featherweight and a quilt! And such happy colors all through. Precious times, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the bright colours you've used in your peels. They are very summery.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!