Monday, September 22, 2014

An Old Old-Fashioned Charm

In 2006, I made a quilt that was purchased as a kit from our (then) LQS. Designed by the owner, Kim Braun, the "Old-Fashioned Charm" quilt pattern features an easy-to-make quilt using five different arrangements of  9 1/2" unfinished blocks- a square, 2-patch units, 3-patch units, 4-patch units, and 9-patch units. The blocks are arranged randomly with two borders, a narrow solid one and a scrappy one. This particular quilt finishes at 60" x 78" and is one of the quilts I have layered on our queen bed for the summer.


As you can see, the fabrics are in a range of pastel blues, greens, and creams. The sun washed out the quilt a little, but this picture is actually very close to showing the gentle colours that are in the quilt.



The fabrics are a variety of tone on tones, striped, checks, and even some textured fabrics. 


As you can see, the quilting was done in an edge to edge daisy pattern.




Why am I showing you my old quilt? Because I have been collecting some lovely warm wool flannels for the last couple of years, waiting for a pattern to grab me, and now I see that the pattern was right in front of my eyes in this quilt! 

My plan was to make a quick and easy lap quilt out of flannels for the upcoming chilly weather, so I started my hunt for the pattern. Yes, I found it, but it took a lot of looking in my cupboards. I had been collecting FQs, charm packs, and even some yardage from the original Wool Needle Flannels by Moda so I knew I had enough.

The cotton flannels give the illusion of wool, but they are so soft and cosy...


I put together my stacks of blocks...


and then laid them out on a bed. Just the effect I was looking for...an old-fashioned flannel quilt!


I sewed the blocks together and have actually sent it away to the LAQ but forgot to take a picture of the finished flimsy. I'll show a picture of the quilt to you when it comes back.

Unfortunately, the LQS shop, Harbour Quilt Company, closed its doors a few years ago and I miss it terribly. The owner supplied us with the most marvelous fabrics, kits and designs over the years. When the shop was closing, Kim offered many of her kits for sale. I have several still unopened in my sewing corner, but last week, I opened this one...


Kim always carried a lot of Kansas Troubles fabrics so you may recognise some of these. I pinned all the rows together to make things easier when I sewed at the shop and then pressed the centre when I got home.


I added the wide border and have all the applique shapes and vines ready. I decided to work on one corner at a time. Sorry for the poor pictures...it is a very nasty day out there today and my kitchen is a pretty dark place to take pictures.




Busy times in my sewing corner but loving it all! It's a great day for quilting!

23 comments:

  1. I love the idea of using your loved quilt for inspiration. The pastels are so pretty and the darker ones will be wonderful for the cooler temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of your projects too Lesley. Your quilts bring the sunshine into your home on a dreary day. More and more quilts shops are closing in our area. It is so sad to see their doors close since each and every shop was so unique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your flannel quilt truly has that cozy, old wool quilt look! Won't that be fun for cuddling?
    Your little quilt will be beautiful! I love KT fabrics (wish someone around here carried them), and the applique border will be a wonderful finishing touch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the original patchwork quilt, but I just love patchwork flannels - so looking forward to seeing this one when it is done. And your new kit project is just a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your flannel woolies quilt is going to be just perfect for cuddling under on our chilly winter days. I can't wait to see it after it's been quilted.

    And who doesn't love Kansas roubles fabrics? Table topper or wall hanging? Have you decided yet? I'm anxious to see what other kits you have hidden away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still have a few of Kim's patterns tucked away. One is a snowman that I am planning on making this fall. I love how you are recreating a favourite pattern. It will be such a cuddly cuddle quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all your work Lesley,I've yet to try flannel,sounds nice for cooler nights.xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful old fashioned flannel quilt! It will just look cozy, warm, and inviting.The pattern is great! Love the little kit you are doing too. The appliquéd flowers are very striking. Looks like a busy, fun time! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the look of your flannel quilt and I can see why the summer one is a favourite. Perfect choice. Love your new one too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your flannel quilt looks so cozy for the winter months. I haven't made one in a very long time. Maybe this is the inspiration I need to get moving on it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilts are just gorgeous. I love flannel quilts too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your flannel quilt looks great. How clever to use a pattern that you had already made and used. This one will be wonderful to snuggle under in cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The flannels will be lovely and cozy. It's a lovely idea for your quilt.
    And the little kit looks gorgeous , too, with the beautiful applique.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You sure succeeded! Don't you just it when a plan comes together? Love the little kit you are working on. Are you doing needle turn applique?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your flannels are lovely. I want a flannel quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah it is great to get in some sewing time. I hope to do a little of the same this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can't wait to see the finished flannel quilt; I think it's going to become of favorite. I love the vintage look or traditional look of the quilt I think it is very realistic to what women would have done with their scraps . When I was a child we had a quilt that my grandmother made with scraps. I remember it being patchwork It's long gone but now I understand how those quilts were made when money was tight and warmth was needed. Anyway, I do love your flannel quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your summer quilt is so fresh and pretty and your flannel version is so warm and cuddly , love them both . I also love the kit you are working on . I miss Kim too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the applique in the corner as it adds so much to the simple block design. Nice quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I recognise some of the flannels you have used in your cozy quilt from a project I did - I loved using them and your quilt will surely be nice and snuggly. Funny how you came about the pattern for it! Your kitset one is also lovely - Kansas Troubles are always nice and the applique on the corner is a lovely feature. Are you doing the applique by hand or machine?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your ideas and your quilts...I have not made a large flannel quilt ...hummmm

    ReplyDelete
  22. That first quilt is so pretty. I love the soft colors and the daisy quilting pattern.
    It's Perfect!
    Then I saw your flannel quilt, that is something that I really want to make. All that I have been able to find in our area is baby pattern flannel, but we have a JoAnnes opening in our town this weekend. I am so excited. I love the idea of warm dark plaids . . . they make a quilt that just looks like the perfect cold winter day get yourself warm kind of quilt:) Every household needs one of those. I think that a quilt like that might even be the cure for the flu:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. love that new version of the quilt, wow, thats going to be so warm , love the colors.
    great kit, always fun to find something in the sewing room that you can just whip up
    very pretty
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!