Tuesday, October 14, 2014

A Quilt for my Son

My DS is an avid fan of the New York Islanders hockey team. This is what you need to know when I show you the picture of the quilt I gave to him on Saturday. He arrived home for our Thanksgiving weekend and within five minutes of his arrival, I gave him the quilt.



If you're a hockey fan, you will recognise the colours of the New York Islanders...orange, blue, and white. When I asked DS a few months ago what colours he wanted me to use for the quilt I was making him, he quickly responded with "New York Islander colours". My first reaction was that those colours would be better in a smaller lap sized quilt, but then I reminded myself that I had asked him for his choice. I found Jenny Doan's pattern for a chevron quilt on You Tube HERE and thought it would be a perfect pattern to use. I ordered Kona solid fabrics in the colours I thought would work and thus begins the story of his NYI quilt.

Jenny's quilt finishes at 72" x 72", but when I hung the top on the line, it just looked too small.


I added a narrow blue border and then finished it off with a wider white border, with the quilt top now a perfect size of 93" x 103". I sent it off to Ange at Quilting on the Mira and picked it up last week, very pleased with the quilting design Ange had used. I had used a swirly blue fabric for the back and she chose to use a swirly pattern for the quilting...perfect!



The quilt is so huge, I had to set it up on the dining room table to square it up and add the binding. This picture shows the quilting a little better...such great texture! 



I really wanted the binding to add some pizazz so I decided to make a striped bias binding to use on the quilt. Sew, sew, sew, cut, cut, cut, and sew some more.





I attached the binding by machine. I do very little hand stitching any more due to my recurring arm and wrist issues and it also allows me to finish the binding much quicker!

I love the striped binding...



For the label, I printed off the NYI logo using Sew-On Printed Treasures printable fabric, framed it with the orange and blue strips, and attached it to the back.


Then it was off to the clothesline...



and of course, the wind blew and blew...




I also decided DS should have a new pillow for his fan cave, so I used another printed logo and some strips and came up with this pillow as part of his package.



DS is a great sport, so he humored me and posed for a few pics...







He tells me he became a NYI fan in 2001and has cheered on that team ever since. However, I couldn't resist sharing this picture. Here he is wearing his first ever NHL jersey with his proud dad by his side.


It's a great day for quilting!


39 comments:

  1. Dear Leasly,
    what a great story and very special quilt. Love the sashing, fits perfect.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great quilt - the extra work in piecing the striped binding really made for the perfect finish. I've been adding pillows or shams with quilts for gifting - just a nice added touch to the whole gift. Thank you for sharing the 'windy' line photoss - wouldn't feel like I was here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You tell your DS that I think that quilt looks more like an Oilers quilt! See what he say. LOL Your binding was fantastic, but I'm pretty sure that I'll never tackle doing that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt turned out so cool and so manly...love it! That bias cut binding is something I'll have to try because it really adds a great look. Nice pics and beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt and pillow turned out fabulous and your handsome son looks very pleased with his treasure! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only mother-love would take us so far from our comfort zone! *LOL*
    Looks fabulous, Lesley! And the extra effort you took on the binding (seriously, did I understand correctly that you sewed all those strips together to make the striped bias binding?) certainly paid off. Nice addition of the pillow. Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lesley, your quilt and label and pillow are super fabulous! It's also huge. Definitely a man-size quilt. Your idea for the binding is a perfect finish. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome quilt for you son ! Love the binding you made for the quilt & that pillow completes the set .

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that picture of your son wearing his quilt; he looks like royalty:) It's a beautiful quilt and I agree that the binding is perfect. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recognized those colors right away ... what an awesome quilt for your #1 Isles fan. Your quilt, other than the colors, looks just like the chevron quilt I made for my daughter this summer. Yours is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great idea for a Hockey fan. I must remember it; It will be in different colors for the Hockey fans here.LOL Also your binding is another terrific idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome Lesley - I can tell how happy your son is with his quilt. Love all the extra details you did , like the stripey binding and the label and cushion.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You made your son one happy man!! He just glows!!! Love the binding - you are right, just perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a delightful post!! I enjoyed seeing the progress of your beautiful chevron quilt. I so admire the binding. That's love, right there! The pillow compliments the quilt perfectly. No wonder he looks so pleased in his pictures. Glad you had a good visit over the Thanksgiving weekend. When he was a little boy, he looked just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful quilt for your son , what could be better than a quilt in your teams favorite colours . I really love the pillow you made as well , real nice addition ! Great job Lesley and I think he looks more like you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Holy Wow! That turned out great. I can't imagine making the binding that way, but it is awesome, and the perfect finishing touch. You must really love your son. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is a stunning quilt, Lesley!! I love everything about it and the pillow! You did an Awesome job. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your quilt is gorgeous, and the binding is so wonderful. You did a lovely job.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Lesley, the quilt is gorgeous! I love the pattern and the binding is fantastic! The quilting finishes it perfectly. NYI colors are also the colors for the University of Illinois - very popular here in Illinois,US. I know both of my sons would love this quilt! Your DS is one lucky fellow! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Lesley, it is wonderful! The colors, even though hockey look great! The pattern perfect. Love the label, the scrappy binding and the pillow. The quilting looks beautiful. What a good sport to show up on the blog. I know he will love and use it all the time. Sounds like it was a wonderful thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great looking "man quilt" and an even better looking son to go with it!

    Great job, Lesley...on both counts! *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow....excellent quilt. Congrats on the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great quilt Lesley - I love how you personalized it to be exactly what your son wanted - and the label is so perfect - good job!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks great Lesley, he looks like a bride in one of the pictures! Oh I guess he is probably married to the team???

    ReplyDelete
  25. I wrote, I published, I disappeared cos blogger crashed! I said it's a great looking "man-quilt" which your son looks very happy with. I also said I love what you did with the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It really is so prefect for him and I too love the striped binding. I'll have to use that sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow… It's an amazing quilt… I love the colors… and the quilting is perfect for the shape of the front (I must confess when I saw the photo I though you made the quilting, hehehe) Great quilt, I love it.
    Big kisses Lesley!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You were very thoughtful to make the quilt in the colours he liked.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! Love it so much! The quilting is just wonderful and that binding is awesome! Such a thoughtful quilt. Very modern too.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi there, finally catching up.
    Love the way your son's quilt turned out.
    The chevron pattern is a great choice with these colours. Great idea for the binding, too. And the quilting is lovely.
    Perfect for a wonderful son. Definitely a family resemblance in those photos.
    I hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a perfect quilt for your son Lesley and I love, love the way you did the binding!! Great photo of the quilt draped over your son, it is huge!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a great gift! The binding is genius! I hope your son appreciates this incredible quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Awesome quilt. I'm sure your son loves it

    ReplyDelete
  34. The quilt is beautiful...the borders make it perfect......is that a San Jose Sharks shirt....that's who we love.....I'm from San Frsncisco....and that's the only hockey team we have out here......

    ReplyDelete
  35. Such a great quilt for a bloke! Glad your son loves it and it fits his decor. I love chevrons and the quilting is great too. The most amazing part is the binding though. It's so cool! All those seams in it! Was that annoying when you sewed it? I machine bind all my quilts too these days. I don't have the time to bind by hand.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!