Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Introducing Thoroughly Modern Linda

On Friday, I stopped in to the Nova Scotia Fibre Arts Festival in Amherst on the way home from my overnight trip to New Brunswick. What a treat! My very talented friend Linda, who blogs at Scrapmaster, met me at the door of the Amherst Town Hall where she was "working the booth" of the Maritime Modern Quilt Guild's first ever display. 


Her welcoming smile and her obvious love of all quilts modern was so contagious. For a small but quickly growing group of quilters who have been together a little less than a year, the MMQG had put together an absolutely awesome display. The quilts of all sizes were colourful, creative, thought provoking, stunning, and so thoroughly modern. Here is a quick peek at some of the quilty items...









Thanks, Linda, for your helpful tour of the MMQG display. Visit the MMQG blog by clicking HERE where you can find out more about the group and get information on membership. You can access their Facebook page HERE. Linda herself is the Social Media Coordinator for the guild and does a great job of keeping its members and the quilting public very much informed. Although my quilting tends to stay on the traditional side, I have managed to stray from time to time into the modern quilting movement. On an aside, I am thrilled to be attending a one-day FMQ workshop being put on by Linda on October 27 at It's Sew Time in Elmsdale. Hope she can teach an old dog some new tricks!

While at the Festival, I also enjoyed visiting the Cumberland Quilt Guid's show at the church. It was fairly dark in the church so I was only able to get a few pics.





Afterwards, I strolled along the street in anticipation of seeing some more beauties!  They were the stunning quilted creations of Karen Neary, Amherst native and award-winning quilter and pattern designer. Her phenomenal quilts were on display at Mrs. Pugsley's Quilt Emporium, a quilt shop filled to the rafters with glorious fabrics and every notion ever made! 

One word about Karen Neary's quilts...unbelievable! I didn't get any pictures, but if you visit Karen's website HERE and her blog at Sew-Karenly HERE, you'll see some of her amazing work.
Her recent post, Quilting Connections HERE, has some wonderful pictures of the beautiful quilt that she made for use as a fundraiser for the festival. Just makes you want to smile! 

Karen is in the midst of releasing her latest book, "Quilting Beauties". Signed copies of her book will soon be available from her web site so please check it out. 


I've been pretty busy in my sewing corner but pictures will have to wait for another day as this post is getting a little too lengthy!

It's a great day for quilting!

16 comments:

  1. Brilliant quilts,thank you so much for sharing your pictures

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm much more on the traditional side of things, too, but I can enjoy a show of any style quilts.
    Love quilt shows in churches. They've had some here in the past. Wish they still did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thrilled to get the chance to show you what my little guild has been up to for the past year. I am very proud of all our members and I am so glad you enjoyed! I can't wait to get together for our class coming up soon. Talk about quality time! hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely bunch of quilts. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great displays, a feast for the eyes! How is your arm and hand nowadays?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing a little about our first quilt display. What a year it has been for MMQG. And we could not do it without Linda! Her enthusiasm and pure love for quilting makes her our best spokeswoman ever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree the MMQG had an amazing display with Linda being such a great hostess . It was well worth the trip even though I missed the quilt show :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm thoroughly un-Modern,but I do appreciate a job well done and your friend Linda's guild quilts are lovely. You must have been overwhelmed by all the beauty there and the Cumberland show. Looking forward to seeing your sewing corner stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely display of modern quilts. I love a church for a quilt show - so much potential to really show off all of the quilt - makes them glow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for talking up our little guild! I couldn't be prouder to be a member... and to have Linda represent us at Fiber Arts Fest!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its so great to see that quilting is thriving!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds as though you had a most delightful visit to Amherst. I am most envious of your opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful time you have been having with these quilt displays. Such an amazing range. Thanks for sharing your photos, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow… I love everything, but the quilt of the dog is amazing! hahaha… it's so funny...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful Lesley! Great to see all the quilts. Such a talented bunch of people in your part of the world!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!