Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Triple Barnstar Quilt

I love to find a bargain, especially for a quilt I love, so it was a treat when when I discovered the Triple Barnstar workshop/kit at Craftsy.com. The quilt is designed by Amy Gibson and features Joel Dewberry's Birch Farm fabrics. The workshop/kit is still on sale at Craftsy for $60 off. I love aquas and teals and to see them matched up with chartreuse and brown, accented with a little blue and some brilliant whites, just makes my heart sing! 

Amy's workshop instructions arrived through a downloadablePDF file, while the fabrics followed very quickly through the postal system. By visiting the Craftsy workshop, I was able to read lots of comments and see several pictures of the quilts finished by the workshop participants. All the quilts look similar, but all are a little different depending on how the quilter used the fabrics. 

The quilt was very easy to put together with the large block format and in a manner of a few days, I had the top done and hanging on the line.


Amy's quilt finishes at 73" x 73", but I decided to add a 5" border to take the quilt to a larger size, approxiumately 83" x 83".  In a perfect world, I would have put the blocks on a design wall and played around with the layout, but in my sewing world, I have no design wall and very little sewing space. To compensate, instead of sewing row by row as Amy suggests, I put the quilt together in sections, starting with the centre block.



The next step was to sew the blocks together and stack them up, ready for use. You can see how easy they were to piece. The blocks are arranged for the camera, not necessarily in the way they were placed in the quilt, but it allows you to see the type of blocks that were made and a close up of some of the fabrics.





I really enjoyed these corners! 



Once the blocks were made, it was a matter of helping the quilt grow from two stars...



to three. I see the leaves in the background and on the ground match the chartreuse very well! 


There was so much extra fabric in the kit that I still have plenty to make a pieced border for my Triple Barnstar quilt and there is still enough left for another smaller quilt. Thanks to Amy and Craftsy, this was one project that I didn't put on the back burner. When the fabric arrived, I started cutting and I am so glad I did.  

It's a great day for quilting!

24 comments:

  1. It's lovely! I like your round-robin way of piecing. I've used the method at times and it works well. I've taken Craftsy classes but never ordered the kits. It's nice to know that it worked out so well. Thanks for sharing. `Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow very pretty quilt. Love the corners too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is lovely. I love the colors as well as the design.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice pattern and love the fabrics. You have a lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous quilt! I'm a little apprehensive about large block quilts ... but this one turned out fantastic! Of course, it helps that you did such a fabulous job with it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great, and the dappling sunshine looks pretty nice, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lesley that quilt turned out beautiful!!! Very striking :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a very fun design to pull together. And you did it so quickly!
    In the photo it seems to be meant for that Fall setting! : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just a beautiful quilt ! It is so pretty hanging among the trees !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful quilt Lesley , I love the modern colours and the great design !! Well done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty and striking, Leslie! I, too, have a small sewing room and always have to find new ways to work with larger pieces!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can see why you started in on this one right away. It's so bright and cheery. Now and again it's nice to throw in an "easy quilt to get that euphoric instant gratification feeling when it works up quickly.

    Great job, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so pretty Lealey, and adding the border was great. It centered the quilt, I like borders! Well done. The colors are great. I like the greens and blues right now, they are calming. Take care.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love this quilt and the fabrics...it does go a lot faster when the squares are bigger, I love doing them,

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just picked up a few of those JD fabrics at Patch! Love the owls. Your Barn Star is just wonderful and you are so organized in your sewing. That is a quilt I would like to make. Love the design so much. You gonna quilt that yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, pretty quilt, Lesley! I love the soft creaminess of the colors. The design has a look of a single giant quilt design block. I like that and how it all turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very beautiful fabrics and you have done a wonderful job

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooh la la!! It's a beauty! And does look like lots of fun to put together. The best thing about a pretty quilt is how much more beautiful it becomes when it's been quilted, and I'll bet Ange has a ball with this one!! Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely!! How satisfying when a quilt goes together so well. Not surprised you were tempted, those colours are gorgeous together!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a great result. It looks wonderful. Love it when the instructions are clear. The supplies must have been very generous.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, gorgeous, Lesley! I love a big star quilt - and you put it together the way I would. I like to see all the elements individually. Love the fabrics, and don't you love a bargain, too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really like that! Very nice and it's so wonderful to have any fabric left in a kit!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really like it and yeah to you for a fast finish.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!