Monday, October 6, 2014

White Gloves, a Quilt Show, and a "Mom, Me, and Sisters Three" Celebration

I recently headed to the Highland Quilt Guild show in Antigonish, meeting up with friend and fellow Nova Scotian blogger Sheila of Sheila's Quilt World and a couple of her friends. Sheila also posted pictures from this show and another show she attended in Mahone Bay, so I hope you will visit her blog too for some quilty inspiration.

The church where the show was held was filled with quilts! I donned the white gloves at the door and raced from one glorious quilt to another, taking pictures in quick succession. Unfortunately, because I was wearing gloves, the camera did not respond too well to my touch so the pictures are not as well focused as they should be. My apologies, but  I'm hoping that you'll still enjoy the show...













Do these homespun houses look familiar? I made the same quilt and it is now at the LAQ. Hope to pick it up in a few days.

Thank you to the Highland Quilt Guild for a wonderful show! 


I received a call later in the week saying that I had won the draw prize! I received some gorgeous Christmas fabrics, some fat quarters and thread, a pattern, and a kit for a Christmas wall hanging. I am a lucky girl!

After lunch with Sheila and the girls, I  headed to New Brunswick for an extended week of activities for a "Mom, Me and Sisters Three" Birthday Celebration. My mom turned 90 on October 1 so we had an Open House for family and friends and then spent the rest of the week celebrating, sharing memories, and even managed a game of golf, Mom included. She's awesome with her new driver! We laughed, we cried, and we hugged all week long-Mom and her four daughters. I am so fortunate...

We stayed at my sister's cottage in Murray Corner and enjoyed lots of magnificent sun rises, sun sets, and the glorious sounds of waves lapping on the beach.


Or was it the sound of waves crashing on the beach?


Who could resist the charm of my BIL's buoy tree?


And of course, because Baby Sister has a clothesline, we had to fill it with the quilts I made for her over the years. They may be a little faded, but they are very much loved.


I did take my FW with me and managed just a few hours of sewing but wasn't able to keep up with blog reading or commenting. Not enough hours in the day. 

Nice to be back and sharing my stories with you. It's a great day for quilting!

28 comments:

  1. Loved seeing the quilt show thru two sets of eyes! There must have been a class on that chain quilt - look how many in a row (or two). How nice to spend time with your Mom and sisters in such a lovely area - and look - quilts blowing on a line!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The appliqué was really amazing. I don't do that. AND....where is that nice weather that you were sending to Saskatchewan??? It still hasn't gotten here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your dear mom is the lucky one to have such wonderful daughters!!! And what a lovely place to hang out with the girls! Looks like there were several Edyta Sitar quilts at that show. Congrats on your win!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry we couldn't meet up, but I did stop in to your little shop and had a nice chat with Catherine. It sounds like you had a wonderful time with your family, and that's so important. I made it to the quilt show in Mahone Bay, but missed out on Antigonish. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a glorious week for you and your sisters with your Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. such divine quilts....every one of them is a piece of art....I bet you have a lifetime of warm memories

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like such a wonderful quilt show!
    And sounds like such a nice time for the women in your family.
    Love the quilts on the clothesline. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the quilts in the show - what a lovely setting for it too. It sounds like you have had a wonderful time lately. Very special to spend that time with your family and especially your mum. Belated Birthday wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome home! Sounds and looks like you had a wonderful time but I get a sense that you might be going through a little bit of sewing withdrawal? *wink*

    The show in Antigonish definitely had some beautiful quilts on display. Quilting is alive and VERY well in Nova Scotia. The quilts on the clothesline would make wonderful cards or postcards. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like you've had a great week. Quilts with friends and family get-togethers, what more can you ask?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing the photo of this wonderful show. Now I see what I missed! Next year!
    How awesome to win such a great prize!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glorious pictures of everything Lesley. What fun for your family to be together in such a gorgeous location. Yes, you are a lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the church setting for a quilt show makes it very interesting. The applique quilts stand out to me. The one with the black background looks like crewel work. It's a beautiful time of year for quilt shows and visiting sisters who hae seaside homes. Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful quilts!! And a very Happy Birthday to your Mom!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A beautiful quilt show! I enjoyed it very much. Thank you for taking me along with you. :-) Ahh, the seaside. Thank you for taking me along there too! LoL Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It was a beautiful quilt show and so nice to get to spend some time with you . It sounds like you had a lovely week with your sisters and mom , a perfect way for her to enjoy her birthday with you all there to celebrate with her in such a wonderful location !

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a gorgeous show, Lesley! How nice to also spend time with your family and in such gorgeous weather!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful, beautiful show of glorious quilts! So glad you had such a wonderful time with those dear to you. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What fun!!! Congratulations on the win!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It sounds like it was a fabulous time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely post....thank you for the quilt tour and gorgeous scenery x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely pictures of the quilt show and love the pictures from the visit to your family. Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous wonderful quilts,and great to spend time with the family.x

    ReplyDelete
  24. what an inspiring quilt show, thanks for sharing the pictures with us. Always fun for me to see what other quilters have made. fun clothesline picture, but there were a lot of memories/laughs as you were hanging those quilts.
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful quilts .... beautiful ocean...thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  26. I knew you'd have a wonderful time!! All of your sister's quilts are just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yes! you are very fortunate! Thanks for the quilt pictures - many lovely quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  28. How nice for you all to get together and celebrate your Mums 90th. What a milestone! You are so lucky to have an active, well Mum of that age. Bodes well for you girls! So many chain quilts in the one exhibition!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!