Tuesday, November 25, 2014

The Countdown is on...

Two more days until me, myself and 11 of my crafty friends set up our Artisans Collective shop for the Olde Tyme Christmas at the Port Hastings Museum. Press releases have been issued, posters distributed, and all of us are like Santa's elves...busy in our workshops.  We are only open for a total of thirty hours during the next two weekends so we want the experience for our visitors to be exceptional.  As in the past, the shop will be filled to the rafters and visitors will be welcomed through our door to browse, to shop, and of course to buy a ticket on a basket filled with hand-crafted goodies.

I am in my self-proclaimed race to the finish, trying to change those UFOs from Christmas past to Christmas presents. Yes, pun intended!

In the past week, I have totally changed my plans for my Icicle Snowman runner. You can read about my original plans HERE. I decided to make some star blocks to frame my little guy and jumped in to do my first ever FMQ! All I have left is to FMQ the blue star points on the second star and the final border and add a binding. (Thank you, teacher Linda at Scrapmaster, for giving me the confidence to FMQ through the workshop you taught us a few weeks back.)  I used the "loop de loop" design this time around. Icicle Snowman will definitely be a finish for the shop.


I embellished my snowman with a few blue snowflakes and some outline stitching, a bit different from the original design HERE.


Then I added a bit of winter to my stars with some die-cut snowflakes that I bought last year from my not-so-close LQS


Apparently we are expecting snow on Thursday, so my Icicle Snowman will have some friends! 

I finished up a couple of small table toppers too. I love combining stitcheries with fabric, so these were fun to do, not too taxing, and one of them will be donated to the gift basket for the draw. The first one is 14" x 16" and the second one is 12.5" x 12.5".



Another project that I have ready for the shop is a Christmas table runner with a more modern flair. I can't remember the name of the fabric, but if you do a close-up, you will see the fabric is full of Christmas ornaments and holly. The pattern is designed by Nova Scotian designers, 2 Easy Design. I bought the pattern and kit at a quilt show in Pictou awhile back.


I used my "go-to" straight line quilting which always gives such great texture and allows the runner to lay flat on a table.


For this runner, I used a "new to me" method of sewing the binding to the back, folding over to the front, and stitching on the front. It leaves a narrow binding showing on the back and a wider binding showing on the front. By matching the thread colours on both sides, it results in a very tidy and quick binding.


Warm Winter Blessings is still on my quilting to do list but I had to send away for the perfect thread colour that would blend into the blue background. I plan to FMQ this one, and contrary to other FMQers out there, I don't want my quilting to show! Will keep you posted.

Thanks so much for coming by today and a very Happy Thanksgiving to my American friends who will celebrate later this week.

It's a great day for quilting!

18 comments:

  1. Good luck with the sale! I predict a lot of happy shoppers, finding great, homemade gifts for loved ones. And your goodies are no exception.... you did a great job with your FMQ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I wish I could attend! Your projects are wonderful! I bet people love this show. Good Luck. I hope it all goes well. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of sweet little goodies. Good luck with your sale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your little snowman project. Good for you doing the FMQ. Don't know that I would have jumped into that pond without the encouragement of others! And I'm with you--I don't want mine to "show", either. Pass the matching thread, please! : )
    Sweet little stitched tree pieces, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lesley, you have so many lovely pieces for your Old Tyme Christmas! Like you I like to combine stitching with quilting. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your projects are all lovely. Best of luck to your Holiday sale. I wish I could come back for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lesley,
    Everything looks wonderful but I especially love the Christmas tree table toppers. They are precious! I too love stitchery with quilting.
    Have a great time at the sale!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Lesley - your snowman & snowflakes runner is simply adorable!!!! And I'm loving the Christmas tree table toppers too. Great job!!!! I know your holiday sale will be very successful with great offerings like those!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The snowman looks wonderful and will make such a great runner. Have a good and successful time with your Old Tyme Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a fun time with your friends! Love your snowman runner. It's wonderful as is everything you create.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boy, you were on a roll. I love everything. The icicle snowman runner is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Best of luck with your show. Love your snowman runner it turned out lovely and the little Christmas trees are great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, what a lot of projects! Love the end result for the snowman. Great idea and lovely work. Gorgeous table toppers.
    I am wondering if the fabric in the other table runner is Crazy 8s?
    Good luck with Olde Tyme Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your FMQing looks great, Lesley!! Good luck with the sale. Wish I could be there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gosh your icicle snowman setting looks quite different from the original I love what you've done!! Good on you with your fmq achievement :-) I hope your weekend at the museum goes really well, the items you put up for sale are all very desireable!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bet you all had fun at the museum. FMQ looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!