Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Christmas at the Shop and in my Sewing Corner

The Olde Tyme Christmas celebrations began last weekend and the Artisans Collective shop will be open again from Friday through to Sunday from 2:00 - 7:00 each day. It was so much fun to help set up the shop last week with my crafty friends. I would love to have you visit the shop, but I know many of you are not within driving distance so I am bringing the shop to you through some pictures.

The shop is set up in one large room at the back of the Port Hastings Museum. At this time of year, we don't have many large quilts for sale, so we changed the layout a bit and lined the room with tables to better display placemats, runners, etc.  I did put a couple of my Christmas quilts in the shop, but more to cozy up the place than to expect a sale. Here is a peek at what you would see if you visit us this weekend...




Those gorgeous flannel quilts hanging on the wall behind the bed were made by my quilter friend, Barb. The one on the left sold last weekend. People love flannel quilts in our area, especially at this time of year. 

My Feathered Christmas tree looks quite at home in this red and green corner, flanked by lots of Christmas stockings and my Festive Mystery in the middle made during Quilt Sue's Christmas QAL awhile back. 



We have some wonderful wool pieces in the shop including this sampler, overlooking some of the wood turned ornaments and items made by a couple of hubbies. Yes, we do allow some hubbies a little creative space too!




A few Christmas lap quilts are just waiting to find a new home. There is definitely a snowflake theme amongst the collection this year!


We have a great selection of wall hangings, many featuring those "men in white", or as we call them, snowmen! We always have an assortment of aprons and lots of knitted goods too.



Runners, runners, and more runners! 


Lots of pretty placemats, especially those with my favorite Santa!



We even have a few thread painting projects. Carolyn's "Three Wise Men" hanging is amazing! 


A couple of the gals decorated the shop for us, including this festive tree, wrapped with measuring tapes and adorned with sewing notions. I adore this tree skirt circling the base.


Bake sales to raise money for the museum are held on each of the Saturdays that we are open beginning at 2:00. I couldn't resist picking up a couple of Santa cans at the local dollar store and filling them with cookies for the bake sale. Isn't he gorgeous!


The little wreath quilt in the background is a "Snap Sack" kit I won in the Fall. It is a fun little kit that came together very quickly. I want to make the wreath pop a bit so may do some FMQ to finish it off. I am still challenging myself to finish my other Christmas UFOs. Even to have them ready for next year would be an accomplishment.

I did some more work on my Santa Claus Lane quilt by Jan Patek. I finished the centre applique last summer and then put it away. I pulled it out last week but, as usual, changed the design a bit. Jan uses a variety of applique to surround a primitive Santa including trees, angels, snowmen, and stars. I fell in love with her trees. Instead of tracing the shapes and piecing them, I photocopied the tree pattern  and paper pieced a bunch to make a forest!


My Featherweight has proved to be a perfect paper piecer! 



This is Santa's forest. I couldn't resist adding some embroidered words in the snow...


The trees look a little wobbly, but I know when I add the borders, they'll straighten up. I auditioned lots of fabrics and took lots of pictures to help me make my decision on which fabric to choose for the border. I decided to go with the fabric you see on the bottom right hand side...a green leafy floral on a black background. 


And see what arrived in my mail today? A delightful Santa postcard, masterfully created and FMQ'd by Miss Linda of Scrapmaster fame.  I adore it, Linda, thanks so much! 



It arrived safe and sound complete with the stamp! 



I still have lots going on in my sewing corner, but at this time of year, it tends to get a bit secretive, so I'll keep it to myself. Thanks so much for coming by. I know all of us seem to have less time these days, so I really appreciate your visit. It's a great day for quilting!

29 comments:

  1. The shop looks inviting and full of beautiful stuff. I'm sure you'll have a successful season. Your Christmas Tree quilt and that Santa postcard are so lovely. Love the tree with the tape measures; what a neat idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved visiting the shop again, virtually. I bought a gorgeous stiletto when i was there, and I don't know how I got along without it. Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lesley what a fun post! Thanks for sharing it all with us. I adore your santa quilt and love the border fabric you picked...it accents all the colors wonderfully!! I also adore that santa postcard...true happy mail!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing the shop with us - a lovely variety of crafts and goods.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like such a fun place to shop. You folks really do a nice job!
    Your Santa quilt is really cute--and I think you picked the right fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are just so many wonderful delights in this post. I love everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post and so much to ooh and ahh over!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing the photos of the wonderful display at the shop. It looks amazing. You have a very talented group. I hope everyone does well with sales.
    Great idea to have the cookies in the tins.
    And I do like the way that Santa's Forest is turning out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your postcard is very cute, but everything in your shop is very lovely too. You have such talented artisans.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The shop looks beyond awesome, Lesley. Kudos to you and your friends for setting up such a gorgeous display. I can't imagine anyone visiting the shop leaving empty handed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved everything about your post. Looks like a wonderful place to visit and shop. Good luck to all of you for your sales, and raising money.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful pictures, nice decoration, this reveals a great Christmas spirit. Love your store, looks very pretty.
    I am working on a Jan Patek project at the moment as well, "The Flags of the American Revolution" quilt, love her designs.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  13. The shop looks great, but then again, it's always a fun place to visit. Good luck with sales!! Wish I was there to do some of my Christmas gift shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How lovely it would be to shop in such a beautifully displayed space! Your paper pieced forest is so inviting. I want to take a stroll among the great trees. That Santa postcard is so delightful. The fm quilting on it is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The shop looks beautiful. I love the thread painted kings. Your postcard is so sweet too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "I am enjoying being at the shop". Lots of great ideas. In fact the Christmas tree skirt that i see is the same one I have had for a few years. I wanted to make a new one but could not find another pattern I liked, so after seeing it in another color I will make a new one for next year. Same pattern different colors.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I see quite a few things I'd be snatching up to take home if I was just a little closer to you. Such a fun shop! Love your trees and Santa, too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you Lesley for sharing the shop with us, it looks so beautiful! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the eye candy! Would love to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Leslie the shop looks very festive! I love the snowmen wall hangings. I may have a chance to drop by on my way to Sydney this weekend. Oh how excited you must be to have received such a beautiful work of art. That Christmas post card, wow what talent. Enjoy your sale and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Lesley, looks great, would love to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely interesting post Lesly - neat to see how the shop is looking, that's quite a large area you gals have filled with quilted goodies... hope it all goes well for you all. Santa in his forest is delightful and the postcard absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your shop looks amazing! My fave is your Feathered Tree. Love Santa's forest!
    Glad you liked your postcard. There are three more floating around blogland!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Everything looks great.....all ready for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your shop looks wonderful. I'd spend all my money in there if I was nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The shop is just beautiful and I so wish I were close by so I could see it in person. I love the Jan Patek quilt - just beautiful - and I applaud your choice for the border. :) blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great job on the shop, your hard work shows. I hope it was a successful event.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great post - I am a new follower - have come by via Jan at Sew and Sow Farm - very pleased I did!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This was a delightful journey through your shop and beautiful Christmas holiday offerings. It makes me want to stop and get busy on some of my own. Thanks for the great inspiration. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!