Friday, December 19, 2014

IMO, The Best Christmas Cookies You Will Ever Eat

Yes, I know I told you I was taking a break from Blogland, but while I was making my annual batch of Andes Candies Cookies today, I thought it would be a wonderful recipe to share with you! I started making these about 20 years ago. The recipe, which I found in a magazine, produces a yummy, soft, chocolate chewy cookie with a hint of mint!  The recipe called for peppermint wafers and I wasn't sure what they meant, so I found a box of Andes Creme de Menthe Thins, used them, and have never looked back. 

Over the years, I have gifted many batches of these favorites and the recipients always ask for the recipe after they have tried them....so trust me...these are that good that you can never eat just one! Many of my friends, and even my children's friends,  now make the same cookies every year as part of their Christmas traditions. Of course, they always look better on a Santa plate!



I bought the Andes candies this year at the local grocery store, but they are also available at our dollar store. They are a seasonal candy and over the past years, I have found them during the Christmas season at Shoppers Drug, Canadian Tire, and department stores. I would imagine any mint wafer would work just as well.

Here is the recipe. 

Chocolate Mints-Andes Candies Cookies
Makes about 5 dozen.
350 degrees for 12-13 minutes.

3/4 cup margarine.
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2 Tablespoons water
2 cups chocolate chips. I always use Hersheys Semi-sweet Chipits.
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-2 packages Andes Creme de Menthe Thins



Before I start the cookies, I prepare the mints. I unwrap them and divide them in two bowls.

One bowl has mints that have been shaved with a potato peeler to create little swirls.



The other bowl has unwrapped candies cut into thirds and the bits and pieces that were too small to shave.

Heat margarine, sugar and water in large saucepan over low heat until margarine melts.

Add Chipits, stirring until partially melted.  Remove from heat and continue stirring until chocolate is completely melted.

Pour into large mixer bowl and let stand about 10 minutes to cool slightly.

Beat in eggs, 1 at a time.

Reduce speed to low and add dry ingredients, beating just until blended. Batter will be very, very thick!



Refrigerate for a minimum of one hour. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with foil.

Scoop out a teaspoon of cookie dough per cookie and roll into a ball. The cookie dough will have the consistency of soft fudge.





I usually cook mine for the full 13 minutes. They will be cracked when they come out of the oven. I leave them on the cookie sheet while I "ice" them with the Andes mints. I place a 1/3 of a mint on each hot cookie. 



Let soften and use a fork to swirl the melted mint. Decorate with shaved swirls.

  
The magazine said that each cookie is 100 calories, but I dare you to eat just one!

If you would rather print out the recipe rather than follow along on your computer, just send me an email at lcarruthers3@gmail.com and I'll email you the recipe. 

I turned off my comments so you would have more time in the kitchen!


Again a very Merry Christmas! It's a great day for quilting!

No comments: