Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Santa is on the Way

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas in our house. I hung my Christmas quilts, I listen to Christmas music every day, and I continue to work on a variety of fun Christmas projects while eating the occasional Christmas cookie!

I finished the flimsy of Santa is on the Way ( read about it HERE)  by adding the borders and squaring it up. We've had so many cloudy days lately that I decided not to try to wait for a sunny day to take a picture. In fact, the day I took this, there were a few flurries in the air.



The quilt top measures 40" x  42" and I plan to do my own machine quilting, probably in the new year. I often continue to work on Christmas projects well into January and then put them away when finished. That way, when I look in my Christmas cupboard next Fall, I may be pleasantly surprised to see what is waiting for me!

I found a great use for drapery clip-rings. They make it so easy to hang a quilt top for a picture!



I think I bought mine at a drapery store but they can probably be purchased at a department store or a hardware store.




My Holly Wreath project is a finish. The snap sack kit took no time to put together though I kind of got carried away with my new found love of  FMQ. I've got to get better at it if I keep doing it, right?



The holly leaves and berries were done with fusible web and raw-edge applique.  Then I used my go-to loopy stitches, some crosshatching, and some alternating circles on a semi-straight line for the final border.



The little topper measures 18" square and is framed with a wonderful striped fabric I had on hand. Definitely a fun, easy, little project!

With these items out of the way, it was time to pull out my "Cabins at the Lake" project featured in the Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting November/December 2014 issue. I love making house quilts and this one will be so warm and cozy when finished.

I have a couple of houses done..



all the roofs finished...



and the walls are made. 




The colours of these fabrics are not as they appear in the pictures, but once the quilt top is finished, I'll hang it outside and take a picture to give you a better idea. Many of the fabrics are from the Timeless Treasures line of flannels combined with Moda's Wool and Needle flannels. I have a little more work to do before I add the cornerstones and sashing. The construction of these cozy flannel houses just makes me smile! 

I love this time of year. Changing my quilts in the livingroom is always my favorite step in decorating the house. The Santas will join the quilts this weekend!



Update: Some of you have commented on this quilt so I looked up the information about it. This quilt is called Bows and Boughs, was designed by Heidi Korey, and was featured in the November/December 2011 issue of McCall's Quilting. I purchased a kit from McCalls at that time.

Thanks for coming by today. I know time is very precious these days so I sure do appreciate your visits. It's a great day for quilting!

26 comments:

  1. Beautiful festive quilts Lesley. Boy those clips are such a great idea x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow so many beautiful holiday quilts! Love your quilting too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all your Christmas goodies, but I have a question. How do you eat an "occasional" Christmas cookie......Giggle. I know how to eat an "occasional" bag of cookies....thus no cookies in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun, fun stuff, Lesley. I especially like that last quilt of packages and Christmas trees. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Santa quilt came out so cute, but I love the quilt with the trees and boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have had some lovely finishes.
    I also do a lot of Christmas work in January. December is so busy making for others, so it is nice to work on your own projects later.
    And it looks like you have moved into the construction industry. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been a busy gal and such lovely projects , I know I am going to love those flannel houses . Nice to see your house being decorated I hope to start that tomorrow .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilts are absolutely beautiful - I appreciate that you shared them with us. I work on Christmas projects year around and quite often in the summer can be found sitting by the water stitching on something Christmassy. Need I saw that this is my favourite season/holiday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can just picture how festive your house looks! In my mind's eye, I can take a walk-through and ooh and aah! Your quilts are all beautiful. Using those clips is a super idea! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice, Leslie! I think I need to sew some Christmas things. Have a great day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have got to start keeping some quilts for myself. I only had one to put up and I am envious

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nothing like reading yummy blogs to get ME into the Christmas spirit! I love your latest flimsy, the outer border really finishes it off gorgeously! And your wreath too is lovely -isn't fmqing fun? Your's looks great :-) Your houses are lovely - what size are they? It sounds like it sure will be a cosy quilt. Great idea with the drapery rings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your FMQing is awesome keep up the great work. You sure didn't overdo it, it's just right. Have a wonderful Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really love your Santa quilt. If I opened up my cupboard and there were quilts inside, not only would I be surprised, I would be in the wrong house. That's why I love to visit your blog. You always have something lovely to drool over.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your Santa flimsy and everything else. The little house tops are sweet all by themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks very festive, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The speed at which you sew and bounce back and forth between projects always leaves me breathless, Lesley. You never cease to amaze me, my friend. Your little wreath is wonderful and I'm so impressed with your FMQ. Pretty soon you'll be purchasing a longarm to do your own quilting. Oh, and I almost forgot...I'm drooling over your latest houses construction project!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sweet! Love those quilts. I know your house is going to be gorgeous with all this festive loveliness around! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Visiting your blog is a great way to get in the Christmas spirit. Your projects are so festive and beautiful! I love the idea you used to hang your quilt for pictures...I'll be using that method in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It all makes your house really homey. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love all your wonderful Christmas quilts Lesley! And your fmq is looking marvelous :) Yes, you will definitely get better as you do it, and you'll love it more and more too :) Those houses look wonderful enough to live in!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful Christmas projects Lesley and what a great idea for the drapery clips! Thanks for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!