Monday, December 15, 2014

Time to Bake the Cookies

Christmas continues to grow and grow and grow in my house. The decorating is done with 16 ( I counted) of my Christmas quilts in festive glory around the house. They are on the fridge, on the walls, on the tables, on the beds, and even on a ladder!  

The sun finally shone for a bit today so I took my quilt ladder outside ( a perfect gift from Santa Mary last year) and grabbed a picture of Nostalgic Christmas. The ladder then moved into the dining room once the sun dropped beneath the clouds.



Nostalgic Christmas is a quilt designed by Lynn at Sew'n Wild Oaks that I finished last year. Read all about it HERE. One of my all-time favorites!

So on to my snowman quilt, or Warm Winter Blessings as designer Lisa Bongean calls it! I finished my 'loop de loop' filler quilting in the background of the blue blocks and have started cross hatch quilting for the triple sashing. I saw this done on my Country Charmer quilt that Lynn quilted for me last year and decided to try to replicate it in my very "beginner FMQ way". Have a peek...









Thank you, Lynn, for your suggestion to mark the one inch increments. I am using a Frixion pen and will iron out the marks when done.

As for the borders, I am thinking of doing  a snowflake pattern for the blue border, and perhaps some swirls for the cream border to mimic a cold blustery winter day. If anyone has some ideas for a FMQ newbie, please send them along! And yes, the arms and shoulders do get a little sore from FMQ so I am doing the quilting in little bits at a time.

When the sun came out today for a few minutes, I raced to hang out my latest flannel finish.



The quilt top is the size for a twin bed and should fit perfectly in the spare room for the winter. It may take me all winter to quilt it!

Of course, the wind was blowing and blowing...



I looked at the calendar and then looked at what I want to have done by the time DS comes home on the 19th. DD and DSIL will be far away this Christmas but always close in our hearts. Thank goodness for Face time too so Mom, me and sisters three can also have some great chats! 

Because time is getting short, I'm going to wish everyone a Merry Christmas now while I take some time off from Blogland for Christmas baking, wrapping, and a little last minute shopping. Thanks so much for coming by today and every day, have a wonderful Christmas with family and friends (and perhaps a little fabric) and see you in the New Year!

I know I will have lots of visions of sugarplums while spending time with these Christmas quilts!



It's a great day for quilting!


24 comments:

  1. Oh your home is so Christmasy and warm and welcoming looking. Have a very Merry Christmas and enjoy the time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course the lady who loves Santas just has to have her house fully decorated with snuggly holiday quilts and cute things. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas to you and yours! Your house looks so festive and warm....enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - I want to celebrate Christmas at your house!!!! Such beautiful quilts. Your Warm Winter Blessings is fantastic. I didn't know how to quilt mine, so I copied the Store owner's where we did the BOM. Wish I knew how to make snowflakes. Merry Christmas to you and yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the little treat in the mail today. How cute! Did you make the snowflake? Is it fusible?
    Your Houses quilt top looks wonderful. And I am so proud of you for sticking with the FMQ, making such great progress. My best student!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lesley, I am so impressed with your quilting!! Great job!! I'm sure your house looks absolutely lovely! Have a wonderful holiday!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are ready for Christmas now ! Everything looks so beautiful !

    You are quilting like a pro :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Dresden Plate quilt looks awesome. That room is so inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes...that room looks wonderfully cozy! Merry CHristmas Lesley!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that last shot makes me want to come spend the night--or the week! : ) So cozy looking!
    You have LOTS of Christmas quilts, my dear!
    I think your Warm Winter Blessings is looking great. I have pinned some shots of Lisa Bongean's to give me ideas if I ever get mine done, but it is definitely not how I will quilt mine--too professional. : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Es precioso!!! Me encanta. Besitos

    ReplyDelete
  12. The ladder is the perfect prop for your quilts. And the quilt is looking lovely in the sun.
    Well done with the quilting on the snowmen quilt. It is looking so good!
    And I do like seeing the houses out on the line. Such a lovely sight.
    Enjoy taking a blog break. Have a wonderful Christmas. I do understand too well the problems of distance, but am also very thankful for the wonders of technology at these times.
    Looking forward to catching up again in the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the inspiration. I am missing a snowman quilt here at my house...searched high and low. Love your quilts. One day I am going to make a house quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lesley, I love all your quilts and the bedroom décor is so cozy and beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Christmas quilt decorating looks beautiful, Lesley. The bedroom looks so festive.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have a wonderful Christmas Lesley. Your quilts are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful Christmas quilts adorn your walls and beds of your home. Have a wonderful Christmas season and we'll catch you in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So fun to see all your beautiful Christmas quilts. Some day I hope to have enough to decorate my house with them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have some lovely Christmas quilts! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous quilts and decorating Lesley and your fmq-ing is looking great! I hope you get through your list! Have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh wow. I think your house must ooze loads of Christmas cheer. Have a very happy holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Have a Merry Christmas Lesley. Christmas keeps growing in my house too with the number of quilts and tree ornaments increasing. I also have a quilt ladder I swapped out the usual quilts to put Christmas ones on it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!